The MT-07 Forum

Long term bike build

pepperona

I've been riding for 3 years now and have been through 6 bikes, either by selling or trading. After lowsiding my FZ09 on a track, I figured I should slow down and stick to the fundamentals. I don't care about being the fastest, I just want to have fun.

That led me to buying this 2019 Mt07

I am the second owner at 3500 Miles

Previous owner installed the following

• Yoshimura R77 Carbon exhaust
  • Power vision 4 tuned
  • DNA airbox and filter
  • Unknown brand LED headlight
  • CRG mirrors
  • Rhinomoto bar ends
  • Ermax sport screen
  • R6 throttle tube
  • Womettech sliders and levers
  • TST taillight and tail tidy

Since I intend on keeping this bike for a while, I want to document the upgrades and work performed. 

Edited by pepperona
typo

Put on the shapeworks dash relocate today. Personally like the look better. I also plan on upgrading to a fatbar, and this solves the issue of placing the dash.

Please excuse the blurry or wavy photos, my iphone OIS is broken.

Also new to this forum, how can I upload more than one image at a time? Total image limit is 3.9MB?

IMG-2796.jpg

• 2 months later...

Got new bars, the protaper schoolboy pro. I wanted the bike a little lower and with less sweep. Its's also just a little wider which I enjoy.

Still need to wait for the tap to come in so I can thread these bars and put the rhinomoto bar ends + weights back on. Will swing by cyclegear later to get some grips for it.

before.jpg

compare.jpg

afterhandlebar.jpg

Got the bars threaded with a 9/16th drill bit and 16mm x 1.5mm tap. Now I can attach the rhinomoto bar ends and mirrors back on.

So far the width feels good. Just slightly more leaned over, and the steering feels more direct. Personally did not like the high rise and sweep of the stock bars.

Next im going to address the front end. Found a good deal on a 2015 Nissin R1 master cylinder. Going to throw in some 15w fork oil to stiffen up the fork. Will update sometime next week when everything arrives

Did the dave moss fork mods, mixed with some Pattonme recommendations I found on this forum.

Mixed 10w and 15w motul to get a 42cSt weight oil. Poured in about 400ml in each fork. Also cut the fork spacers 10mm and raised the forks by 8mm.

Before my measured sag was about 15mm, now im at 21mm.

Also I am new to suspension so hope im doing things right. Will try to do a spirited ride sometime this week to feel the difference. Still waiting on my master cylinder to come in the mail.

07 oil weight.png

• Premium Member
cornerslider

My best/honest advice.... Do yourself a favor, and ignore everything Dave Moss has to say about the FZ/MT-07 suspension... He seems to be a "YouTube" sensation, that scares people into making poor choices for their bike... I've watched the "Fatal-Flaw" videos , and laughed out loud! If this guy was even half the "expert" he claims to be, why isn't he tuning suspensions of ANY major race teams??? My personal opinion- if you want to improve your stock suspension, you need to get away from OEM components. Cutting spacers down by 10mm will NOT correct the "fatal-flaw" of the front end of the FZ/MT-07. That being said, I'm NOT suggesting you go "all-in" on suspension. Even something as simple as proper straight straight-rate fork springs, and an entry-level aftermarket rear shock can do wonders-

• Like 2

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

nozeitgeist1800

getting an aftermarket rear shock completely eliminated the need for me to do anything with the front end. i ended up swapping in an ohlins fsk108 spring and preload kit, but honestly the only reason i added it is because i bought it before i installed the rear shock. i love my ktech razor r-lite. totally changed the way the bike moves. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nozeitgeist1800 said:

getting an aftermarket rear shock completely eliminated the need for me to do anything with the front end. i ended up swapping in an ohlins fsk108 spring and preload kit, but honestly the only reason i added it is because i bought it before i installed the rear shock. i love my ktech razor r-lite. totally changed the way the bike moves. 

+1 on the ktech razor r-lite. I completely agree. I got emulators for the front with new springs, which helped before replacing my rear shock. Though, I saw far more improvement with the rear shock, which make sense since power is being delivered to the rear wheel.

15 hours ago, cornerslider said:

My best/honest advice.... Do yourself a favor, and ignore everything Dave Moss has to say about the FZ/MT-07 suspension... He seems to be a "YouTube" sensation, that scares people into making poor choices for their bike... I've watched the "Fatal-Flaw" videos , and laughed out loud! If this guy was even half the "expert" he claims to be, why isn't he tuning suspensions of ANY major race teams??? My personal opinion- if you want to improve your stock suspension, you need to get away from OEM components. Cutting spacers down by 10mm will NOT correct the "fatal-flaw" of the front end of the FZ/MT-07. That being said, I'm NOT suggesting you go "all-in" on suspension. Even something as simple as proper straight straight-rate fork springs, and an entry-level aftermarket rear shock can do wonders-

He tuned the suspension on my last 2 bikes, so I have a bit of experience with him. I figured this is a cheap fix until I can get myself to spend more money.

Planning to train for a half marathon, and then reward myself with a new shock when I finish. Either ohlins or ktech. Hopefully by early next year if I stay on track.

Got the R1 master cylinder from Nissin installed. Stock rubber line works but had to pull it out from between the fork and top triple. Made a bracket for the reservoir out of some aluminum I had laying around. Awkwardly tall but it works for now.

Took a while to bleed it but feels great. For 100$ on fleabay, with a CRG lever :)

Eventually ill get steel lines and EBC pads. I like doing mods one at a time so I can feel the change it is adding to the bike.

IMG_3163.jpg

IMG_3164.jpg

• Like 3

AdamKareem87

Nice work so far. Looking forward to watch this get built up.

• Global Moderator
On 6/16/2023 at 3:49 PM, pepperona said:

Got the R1 master cylinder from Nissin installed. Stock rubber line works but had to pull it out from between the fork and top triple. Made a bracket for the reservoir out of some aluminum I had laying around. Awkwardly tall but it works for now.

Took a while to bleed it but feels great. For 100$ on fleabay, with a CRG lever :)

Eventually ill get steel lines and EBC pads. I like doing mods one at a time so I can feel the change it is adding to the bike.

Very very much well done! Some small $$ in the right places really gives it back every time u ride, winning job there @pepperona...