The MT-07 Forum

NEW! Gilles Shift Holder Support!

bellissimoto

bellissimoto

Hello everyone!

Gilles released a shift holder support for the MT-07 / FZ-07!  This item is SUPER POPULAR with certain Aprilia models.

What does it do?  You know the splined shaft that comes out of the transmission that the shift knuckle bolts to?  Well, it comes out a fair amount before the knuckle bolts on to it, and since there is nothing to support that "voided" space, it can flex and cause mis-shifts.

On certain Aprilia models, the mis-shifts are VERY frustrating.  It's atrocious, and they NEED this shift support.  On the MT-07 / FZ-07 it's not as bad, BUT, because a lot of people are using these bikes as race bikes with quickshifters, I can see it as an added for of protection.

The bonus is this new design INCLUDES an all new fancy sprocket cover replacement!

Check it out... (problem area circled in Red).

559822241_R7-Shiho-Blechred.thumb.jpg.ee321a17950bb59023b33717a7017718.jpg

R7-Shiho-Blech-Einzeln.thumb.jpg.8abfcc51c4b62c95433a878b02c9d7d7.jpg

Let me know what y'all think

https://www.bellissimoto.com/parts/engine/shift-holder-supports/gilles-shift-holder-support-kit-for-yamaha-yzf-r7-fz-07-mt-07-tracer-700-tenere-700-fj-07-and-xsr700

Kind Regards,

- Paul

Looks interesting, but I wonder how it'll fair on bikes used primarily for the street with the front sprocket nut being more exposed.

I wonder how long the open bearing will survive without a seal. There are other makers that sell such a thing, but at least with a seal on the outside. They want to close the inner side too in the next revision of the product. I can't find my browser bookmark right now :D 

Ah: Racetorx Yamaha MT07 / T7 Tenere / R7 / Tracer700 Gear Shift Support

But I appreciate every possible improvement of our bikes and I am curious to hear reports from the real world testers.

Edited by ElGonzales

• Premium Member

I'll give it a try. Order placed.

Ed

• Like 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

Would rather see a bushing vs a bearing, but a squirt of chain lube in there while servicing the chain should be more than enough to keep it happy. 

• Like 2

bellissimoto
2 hours ago, 7fold said:

Looks interesting, but I wonder how it'll fair on bikes used primarily for the street with the front sprocket nut being more exposed.

Doubt it'll be an issue. Most race bikes don't even have a cover...

:)

• Premium Member
cornerslider
5 hours ago, Evill_Ed said:

I'll give it a try. Order placed.

Ed

I just added a Bazzaz QS-2 "stand alone" quick shifter to my race FZ-07 over the winter... I've never had a quick shifter before. I'm assuming you have one on your bike as well. Do they "mis-shifts" on track??? I bought it from another member on this site. I may order one up as well just as a precautionary measure-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, cornerslider said:

I just added a Bazzaz QS-2 "stand alone" quick shifter to my race FZ-07 over the winter... I've never had a quick shifter before. I'm assuming you have one on your bike as well. Do they "mis-shifts" on track??? I bought it from another member on this site. I may order one up as well just as a precautionary measure-

I don’t believe a quick shifter would necessarily cause miss shifts. 
the only issue that I have had with and without the quick shifter is my transmission popping out of 5th gear back to 4th under load. This is common on the FZ07. The best fix is to have the gears undercut and shimmed, but that requires splitting the cases. 
I just installed the Factory Racing shift arm with ceramic bearing and stiffer spring. That seems to provide sharper shifter feel, more like a snap into the next gear. I haven’t tried it at wide open throttle yet so I can’t confirm if it’s better or not. 
I figure adding a support to the end of the shift rod and reducing any flex could also help improve shifter action. 
We’ll see. 

Ed

• Like 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

bellissimoto
6 hours ago, Evill_Ed said:

I don’t believe a quick shifter would necessarily cause miss shifts. 
the only issue that I have had with and without the quick shifter is my transmission popping out of 5th gear back to 4th under load. This is common on the FZ07. The best fix is to have the gears undercut and shimmed, but that requires splitting the cases. 
I just installed the Factory Racing shift arm with ceramic bearing and stiffer spring. That seems to provide sharper shifter feel, more like a snap into the next gear. I haven’t tried it at wide open throttle yet so I can’t confirm if it’s better or not. 
I figure adding a support to the end of the shift rod and reducing any flex could also help improve shifter action. 
We’ll see. 

Ed

I had the Factory Racing Shift Arm w/ Ceramic bearing and it was in fact better and more crisp.  The Shift holder support would be the next step before splitting the cases and working the transmission.  Let us know what you think when you install it.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
cornerslider
On 3/24/2023 at 11:42 AM, bellissimoto said:

I had the Factory Racing Shift Arm w/ Ceramic bearing and it was in fact better and more crisp.  The Shift holder support would be the next step before splitting the cases and working the transmission.  Let us know what you think when you install it.

I just ordered as well. I will post my thoughts when it arrives-

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
cornerslider

I received my product yesterday. It seems very well built. My motor is getting old(er). If this saves me from having to split cases once 5th gear starts falling-out, It was the best money I've spent. I took it on a "less than legal" ride around my neighborhood. At such low speeds, it was hard to tell if I gained anything- I can say I didn't lose anything. I'll know more in a couple weeks. My first race weekend is May 5th...

• Like 2

I'm definitely interested to see some updates or if anyone has any experience with the Racetorx solution as a comparison. One thing I've noticed with the Racetorx solution is the need for cleaning/re-greasing every 3000 miles - was there anything like that mentioned with Gilles or are they using a different type of bearing?

sweetscience

The Gilles uses needle bearings.  No service timeline mentioned.

I installed the shift holder support yesterday,  packing it with lithium grease to keep debris and corrosion out.  Testing pending for road bike.

Honestly though, I think the biggest changes in improving shifting was installing Gilles rearsets, and synthetic engine oil.  I'll be adding the Factory Pro shift kit later on when the clutch plates are due for replacement. 

At a closer look it seems that both products uses needle bearings:

417025109_Schermata2023-04-16alle16_59_41.thumb.png.f60902715597c34a45422cf7eeb2dc4c.png 93895511_Schermata2023-04-16alle16_59_53.png.68ec472856e3b6a2e86098e8c2a46833.png

It seems that the Racetorx have a sort of seal, on the outer side.

If the Racetorx need to be "serviced" every 3000 miles, I think the same will be for the Gilles (more or less...).

I agree absolutely with @sweetscience regarding the Gilles rearsets and the synthetic engine oil.

I've added the Gilles rear sets some years ago, and the shifting was definitely better than before.

And when I started to use synthetic oil (I use Silkolene Pro4 10W40 since the end of the warranty period), the shifting is smooth even after many more km than the Yamalube that was in my engine before.

Anyway... I'm really tempted to try the Racetorx... 

www.MT-Series.it
Yamaha Official MT-Series Club