The MT-07 Forum

Attaching drybag to Yamaha MT-07 rental

doogle

In 2 weeks I'm going to Japan for 3 weeks. I'm renting a Yamaha MT-07-not my choice for touring, but all that I could get. I am taking a tank bag that I have used on many bikes. I have always been able to find anchor points for my nylon straps. I am totally unfamiliar with the MT, and don't see how I might attach my 30 liter dry-bag. I've looked at many pictures, including luggage manufactures, and don't find anything helpful. I'm not going to attach anything that bolts on-not permitted. Does anyone have suggestions or pictures showing how I might attach. I assume I can find a way to attach the tank bag, but suggestions would be helpful.

I did exactly this earlier this week; fitting an old trusty tank bag attachments. Mine is a 2017 FZ07 though...

For the front, I routed the strap under the large middle frame member. The two plastic clips are now hanging there ready to receive the bag.

For the rear, I routed the strap around the fuel tank’s rear mounting points. The plastic clip is hidden under the seat and when I will need it, I’ll simply remove the seat to sandwich the strap/clip between the seat and lower rear section of the fuel tank. I did this with the plastic covers off the fuel tank and I’m not sure if it’s possible to do this when they’re not removed.

Hope this helps.

I’m away from home for one week so no picture available before then.

Edited by Claude

I leave 2 weeks from today and hope to look at some bikes at a dealer. I'd hate to get to Japan and need to sit on my drybag and strap the tank bag on my back. I have mounted the tank bag on my Versys 1000, Drz400, and a couple rental bikes in Europe. But the MT-07 looks pretty naked.

• Global Moderator

@doogle, do you know what year the MT-07 that you are renting is?  There is quite a difference in the seats and tanks between the different generations.  I have also heard they are few and far between at dealers right now so if they are not close you may want to call first.  Good luck. 

I don't know the year. The rental didn't show on their ad. I just hoped it was newer since it's a Japanese rental. It wasn't the bike I wanted but the closest size available for 3 weeks. I've seen many on Cycle Trader, but not pictures to ease my concerns. Not much help looking at Honda parts finder either. I'll make it work, even if I need to use Duck Tape and epoxy glue.

here's a side view of the bike (2018) with the tank flair removed.  It gives a good idea on where you can attach.  The front has 2 large tube frame spots but there's not much on the back outside of the pillion pegs.

image.thumb.png.10bf17b9578f4f3b6bb8bdcb8ccfd991.png

It's more fun naked!!

Thanks Migyver. I will take a roll of web strapping and cut to size. Typically in front of tanks I can find framing or brackets to attach to. On the rear seat, I may need to run a couple larger straps all the way around the dry bag and subframe above the wheel.