The MT-07 Forum

Broken stock mirror glass - Can it be replaced?

seven

I took my mirrors off for my last track day last fall and ended up breaking the glass on one of them. The mirrors are buried in my shed so I can't look for myself and so far nothing I find on the internet has answered the question of if the glass can be replaced without replacing the entire mirror. I assume it can't since I have not found any replacement glass for sale anywhere but maybe someone here know differently. 

I am just looking for the cheap option now instead of upgrading the mirrors to something better...I have better things to spend my money on.

I've had good luck going to a glass shop.   Taking the emptied broken mirror holder and the unbroken one so they can measure it may help.  I did it with a van mirror, but I don't know if they'd want to mess with a motorcycle mirror, you'd have to just ask.

• Like 1

Exposing my inner Martha Stewart here...I do stained glass work and cutting glass ( mirrors are no different to work with) is surprisingly simple. A $10 cutter will last a lifetime. But these mirrors have rounded corners that need to be ground to shape. It's time consuming and mirror material isn't cheap. You can order a whole new mirror assembly from Yamaha for about $40, or nab used ones cheaper. I could make a replacement glass, but I'd want $40 to make it. I'm not sure replacement glass would ever be cost effective. 

Even for myself, I'd hunt a replacement on eBay before I went to the trouble of cutting a new mirror. 

8 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

But these mirrors have rounded corners that need to be ground to shape.

I watched the guy make my replacement van mirror.  It has rounded corners, and he just did his thing with the cutter, and used a nipper to do the round corners a small piece at a time.  It was fascinating to watch.

1 hour ago, shinyribs said:

Exposing my inner Martha Stewart here...I do stained glass work and cutting glass ( mirrors are no different to work with) is surprisingly simple. A $10 cutter will last a lifetime. But these mirrors have rounded corners that need to be ground to shape. It's time consuming and mirror material isn't cheap. You can order a whole new mirror assembly from Yamaha for about $40, or nab used ones cheaper. I could make a replacement glass, but I'd want $40 to make it. I'm not sure replacement glass would ever be cost effective. 

Even for myself, I'd hunt a replacement on eBay before I went to the trouble of cutting a new mirror. 

Automobile and motorcycle mirrors do have a curved surface and the radius is usually ajusted to give the correct field of view for a given application. Standard home mirrors are flat and would not really be appropriated as a replacement for a curved units.

Because of this, I strongly support shinyribs suggestion of sourcing a used unit. Surely will be more cost effective without bad surprise about the view result.

Edited by Claude

1 hour ago, Claude said:

Automobile and motorcycle mirrors do have a curved surface and the radius is usually ajusted to give the correct field of view for a given application.

Right!  I forgot all about the curved wide-angle mirrors on a motorcycle!

I don't know if the stock glass is convex or not. The stick mirrors of my 09 make me miss the convex bar ends from my 07. These glass in these things are pretty budget. 

On 3/21/2023 at 7:55 AM, shinyribs said:

I don't know if the stock glass is convex or not...

Yes it is. In fact, it is convex on all the motorcycles mirrors I currently have here (8 of them). I've never seen a motorcycle mirror that have a flat glass. A flat glass offer a quite small angle of view and, because of their small surface, would offer a too small vision of what's happening behind.

FWIW, I checked on my car and driver's mirror glass is flat but passenger's one is convex.

Edited by Claude