The MT-07 Forum

Can't understand this dyno graph (tuned MT-07)

Zeiden

Hello all, 

I have a 2022 (2021) MT-07 with an Akrapovic full CF (no dB killer) and DNA air filter with stage 2 cover, i dyno tuned it by a tuner (France) who use Woolich Racing software, he give me a sheet with the Torque/Power curves, i told him to turn off the O2 sensor, a pop and bang tune and keep engine braking (for wheelies), he tryed to increase max RPM to 11000 but when the RPM hits more then 10400 (stock), the check engine light appears with an error code so he removed it and returned to the stock limiter.

the bike gained 3,5HP and 6Nm of torque in max, but more interesting, i have gained 6/7 HP in the mid end RPM (bellow 7K RPM) but the power curve in the graph is not smooth/linear as stock, especially between 6,5K and 8,7K RPM, i don't know if it's a good or bad for the bike, for you, its a good or a bad tune ?

And i have doubts because before the tune the AFR is too low (too rich ?) even with a DNA air filter and stage 2 cover, AFR should be too lean normally.

The red curve is the tuned one and the blue is the stock ecu.

If you can help me understand this dyno graph that would be cool.

Thanks ! 

PS : After the tune, the bike is more nervous (and can now power wheelie in 2nd gear at low rpm (22 mph) when before it's not possible) especially bellow 7K RPM. The tuner told me to shift gears at 9000RPM max because it's useless above, and the bike is more smooth and controlable with throttle, so i am very happy with it. And sorry for my bad english, i'm french (i don't use any translation software because it's wrong most of time and not understandable even for me).

1951254722_CamScanner03-14-202321_38.thumb.jpg.d995162c54e4cee9a4ba295a385ad2fe.jpg

Couple thoughts. 

Assuming the bike was lean because of an air filter of any sort is not a good idea. Though the bikes are very quiet in stock form, that doesn't mean it's restricted. Therefore, a "less restrictive" filter doesn't mean it's going to lean the mixture out. You can't force more air in to the engine to cause the bike to run lean in comparison to stock, and stock isn't restricted. 

My bone stock '16 power wheelies in second. No clutch up, just a smooth roll on of the throttle. Second gear roll-ons at 25mph was the sweet spot to pull up a wheelie. My FZ 09 can't do that and it kinda sucks. I ended up with an Arrow exhaust and it ran fine with the stock ECU. Still power wheelied in second with ease and always wanted to sneak the front tire up when shifting in to third. I would consider those characteristics of a stock bike, so whatever you had before was taking power away from the bike. 

No idea about the pop and bang tune. I mean, I know what they are, but now not how it was accomplished on your bike. Could be the root of your issues if an otherwise good running bone was forced to pop and bang. 

You told him to turn off 02 sensor, or he saw that it was necessary to tune the bike properly? Why did you want it turned off? 

Edited by shinyribs

Thanks for your reply, i say that because i've read in mostly french forums (the mt-07 french forum but it's down now) and they say that (idk if it's true or false).

So i come here to have more information because french bikers don't flash their bikes, don't like tuned bike (people who go to french bikers forums asking for an exhaust got insulted, that's why i don't post on french forums) and the ECU flash/dyno tune is not as common like in the US (only people who go to track flash their bikes in FR), the tuner of my bike tunes only sport bikes or for the FSBK (R1M, S1000RR, Panigale V4S) but the boss have a R7 (CP2) and he do the R7 Cup (thats why i tuned my bike here).

For the power wheelie, before the flash, the front wheel stands up only at 1st gear and WOT only, in 2nd gear the bike can come up with clutch up and 3rd with clutch up (normal), but in 2nd gear the front wheel comes up only after 35mph with throttle only.

Yes it's weird because i've seen many of 2021 MT-07 videos when guys can PW in 2nd gear without pulling up the handlebars, and more crazy, i've seen restricted (47hp) MT-07 PW in 2nd with ease, i'm jealous.

But my fear of wheelie before learning clutch up was possibly causing this issue (the clutch up unlocked my brain and is more smooth/less dangerous than PW)

idk if the MT/FZ-07 US version are the same than the european one

For the O2 sensor i've told him to turn it off because i read in the website of NRBike (french tuner) that the O2 sensor is bad for low end rpm because of the jerking issue with little throttle angle (lambda loop) :

"The Lambda looping causes coupling problems on the throttle at steady speed as well as detonations at deceleration due to a too high AFR (air-fuel ratio)."

"When the catalyst is no longer present, it is recommended to deactivate the lambda loop except in certain cases where the correction target can be modified." 

And i've called him, and he advises me to turn of the O2 sensor and AIS (for the p&b).

Before the flash, the bike was revving slowly to the RPM limiter at high RPM (like restricted one), the bike jerks very big in low throttle angle and the idle was very unstable (up down up down up down) and almost stall after a ride; that's why i do the tune and now it's night and day + i've got a very smooth throttle response.

For the pop and bang tune, it's triggering only between 4K and 6K RPM only in 3rd gear and after, the low rpm crackles is because of AIS (i've forgotted to told him to turn it off...).

And sorry again for my bad english.

Edited by Zeiden
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Zeiden said:

And sorry again for my bad english.

Your English is a lot better than my French!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Triple Jim said:

Thank you very much for your compliment, it's nice to see !👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

His English is better than MY English as well! 

Zeiden, that pop bang tune sounds pretty reasonable then. 

I can't imagine why anyone would be against tuning an ECU. We riders have been tuning bikes for ages and ECU's are there exactly for that reason. 

As far as 2nd gear power wheelies, even just leaning too far forward can effect stuff, so it's probably not a big deal. While your dyno charts do seem to start dropping at 9000 rpm the bike is still making good power. It certainly won't hurt to rev a little higher than 9000 if you want the rpms to not drop so much when you shift to the next gear. I love the way these bikes sound at 10,000+ rpm and would often accidentally hit the factory rev limiter. It's good fun 😁

Thanks for your response ! ✌️

Yes the pop & bang is very soft, not like tuned cars (most Golf GTi, Audi RS3, A45 AMG in my city) who pops like a rapid gunfire with a fast firerate (and the "DSG" fart as well).

For the ECU flash (in France of course), it's more common with diesel cars (HDi, TDi, dCI etc...) and sport/big displacement petrol cars (like quoted above, RS6, C63 etc...).

For the bikes, only NRBike and a world reputable company called Thorn Bikes (Woolich Racing France boss) do them, but fortunately i have found a tuner in my department (Var and PACA region) who does the ECU Flash (recently, before, he was only doing PCV/6, he is a dynojet tuning link center).

So i tuned my bike and now i'm very happy with it😁

For the power wheelie, i have a scoliosis so i can't stay right on the bike, but it's true.

I love the sound too, i haved a Kawi Z4OO with an Akrapovic Ti and the header before and the sound is not as cool as MT-07's CP2, the 270 degrees crank (and his uneven firing order) in twin engines is the best IMO.

but for the high RPM with MT-07, i prefer the Akra Ti because it's more musical IMO (like R1/MT-10 crossplane engine).

but the Akra carbon is more beautiful and roar like a tiger, especially in tunnels😍.

Edit : TAB button sorry 

Edited by Zeiden
TAB button pressed accidentally
  • Like 1