The MT-07 Forum

K-Tech Razor Lite - Install

Cjanssen83

2yrs riding, and 3 track days. Done my own basic work so far.

My question is specifically about the install of the Razor Lite. I have a rear paddock stand, but videos I’m seeing show front end support and jack stands as well.

The install of the shock itself seems straight forward, but the idea of buying more stuff just for a one time install seems silly, considering the local shop will do it for $120.

The Pitbull jack stands by itself is a $200 product. And I can’t think of any reason outside of this install I would use it? For a front stand, at least I’d use it if I eventually change fork internals with something like the AR-25 kit. But still, I’m staring down the barrel of another $400 in stands just to install a $535 shock, right now.

Any advice/opinion? Am I completely wrong about this?

I know there are cheap stands out there, but I feel like I wouldn’t trust some $50 AliExpress stand.

Edited by Cjanssen83

I leave the bike on the side stand and use a scissor jack under the right foot peg bracket to change the rear shock. The front stand will definitely come in handy. You will use it more than you think if you have one.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Cjanssen83 said:

Done my own basic work so far.

... I have a rear paddock stand, but videos I’m seeing show front end support and jack stands as well.

Do you change your own tires - or at least remove the wheels yourself? You would need something to support the front end to do that. 

I also do my own work, and would rather learn from my mistakes than pay someone else to make them.

• Like 3

M. Hausknecht

From the short-term perspective buying a good front end stand, to use once, makes little sense. If, however, you take a longer view and expect to be messing with motorcycles for several to many years, it is an easily justified purchase. A good stand will last forever and if you choose to sell it at some point, it will be worth something. I got a second set of Pitbull stands recently for 1/2 price, used on FB Marketplace, from someone local. They were only barely used.   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Do you change your own tires - or at least remove the wheels yourself? You would need something to support the front end to do that. 

I also do my own work, and would rather learn from my mistakes than pay someone else to make them.

No, not yet. Only 2500 miles on my tires. But I get your point. I’d rather learn myself too. It’s been fun tinkering with my MT.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

When I replaced my shock I used a rear paddock stand (a cheap one from Harbor Freught) and a piece of wood and jack under the muffler.  I had all the nuts off before I jacked it up so I could quickly change out the old shock for the new. 

• Like 4

Not sure how well it work on this bike , but when I did a shock swap on my FZ09 I used a ladder and ratchet straps to the subframe.

I also had 2 friends to help lift the wheel, stabilize front end, etc. was janky but it worked 

• Premium Member
cornerslider
4 hours ago, pepperona said:

Not sure how well it work on this bike , but when I did a shock swap on my FZ09 I used a ladder and ratchet straps to the subframe.

I also had 2 friends to help lift the wheel, stabilize front end, etc. was janky but it worked 

THAT is solid advice..... I have a cheap "come-along" hanging from the rafters in my garage. I've used this technique on multiple bikes. Granted, I used a front stand- but a trusted friend can easily do the same thing. You totally got this! The rear shock change-out on our beloved bikes is MUCH easier than most. Once properly supported, this shock swap is SERIOUSLY a 5 minute job-

• Like 2

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

I have a pit stand on the rear, flip the foot pegs over and then lower the pit stand down with jack stands under the foot pegs, bike is then supported by the jack stands.   Solid and easy to service shock, linkage etc..

• Like 1

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, wollerms said:

I have a pit stand on the rear, flip the foot pegs over and then lower the pit stand down with jack stands under the foot pegs, bike is then supported by the jack stands.   Solid and easy to service shock, linkage etc..

I have solid mount Woodcraft rear sets. I put jack stands under them to support the rear. 

Ed

• Like 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2023 at 7:22 AM, Evill_Ed said:

I have solid mount Woodcraft rear sets. I put jack stands under them to support the rear. 

Ed

I have Puig footpegs which don’t move up like the OEM pegs do when you scrape the feelers.

So I should be fine using those with regular jack stands under them to support the bike in the middle, yes?

I’m getting the Pitbull headlift stand for the front that lifts under the triple tree…which I believe needs a 33 pin, and already have a rear stand that connects to swingarm spools.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Cjanssen83 said:

I have Puig footpegs which don’t move up like the OEM pegs do when you scrape the feelers.

So I should be fine using those with regular jack stands under them to support the bike in the middle, yes?

I’m getting the Pitbull headlift stand for the front that lifts under the triple tree…which I believe needs a 33 pin, and already have a rear stand that connects to swingarm spools.

You should be okay supporting the bike by the footpegs with jackstands. I know the woodcraft design, I am not familiar with the Puig pegs, but I image that they are strong enough. I just support the weight of the bike on the foot pegs when performing rear suspension work.  (I do not sit on the bike when supported that way) 

Yes, #33 pin for our bikes.

Ed

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

Cjanssen83

Alright, so I pulled the trigger on the shock and the front stand…now I wait. 

Still trying to decide how to support the bike though. Threw a dart at Puig in the event they’d say supporting the bike on their pegs is fine. They came back and said that’s not intended use and they wouldn’t recommend it. Probably a liability thing? 

I guess though, I can flip my stock 2021 footpegs upside down and they’ll support the bike with regular auto jack stands under them?

I realize I’m probably overthinking this…I just don’t want my bike tumbling over, ha!

Edited by Cjanssen83

nozeitgeist1800

do you have an a-frame ladder? thats how i did mine, and it was easy peasy. just need an a-frame ladder and a couple ratcheting straps with a decent weight capacity and all will be well

shinyribs

Since you have a rear stand, the way I did mine was: 

-Bike on rear stand  

-Scissor jack and scrap of wood under oil pan, just touching 

-Remove nuts from shock bolts

-Lift with scissor jack while pulling on shock bolt until it slips out 

-Swap out shock 

You can't beat strapping the bike up to the ceiling/ladder, though. That's as foolproof as it gets. 

• Like 1

Cjanssen83
8 hours ago, nozeitgeist1800 said:

do you have an a-frame ladder? thats how i did mine, and it was easy peasy. just need an a-frame ladder and a couple ratcheting straps with a decent weight capacity and all will be well

I do, but I’m not sure how sturdy it is. It’s old…not sure how to verify if it can support the weight of a motorcycle, but I do have ratcheting straps with a 1500 capacity.

Cjanssen83
On 3/13/2023 at 5:21 PM, wollerms said:

Didn’t see this earlier post of yours. So you just flipped over the OEM pegs and didn’t have any issues? This seems like the easiest method to me, and I don’t really care if the OEMs get a scratch or two…I have Puig pegs to put on.

6 hours ago, Cjanssen83 said:

Didn’t see this earlier post of yours. So you just flipped over the OEM pegs and didn’t have any issues? This seems like the easiest method to me, and I don’t really care if the OEMs get a scratch or two…I have Puig pegs to put on.

Yes, real easy, you do not need the foot peg little springs when you flip them over but need to put them back when you turn them back to right side up. I now use this method on all my bikes when servicing rear linkage etc.... I used to hang the bike from the rafters with tiedown straps and then a friend told me about flipping the pegs. 

• 2 months later...
On 5/2/2023 at 1:42 PM, wollerms said:

Yes, real easy, you do not need the foot peg little springs when you flip them over but need to put them back when you turn them back to right side up. I now use this method on all my bikes when servicing rear linkage etc.... I used to hang the bike from the rafters with tiedown straps and then a friend told me about flipping the pegs. 

So I just tried this, but when lowering on the jack stands, the wheel still touches the ground.

There’s really not much space between the jack stands and the foot pegs, either. 

what’s the next move? A jack under the bike with a flat piece of wood? If that’s the route, under the muffler belly ?

My ladder won’t support strapping to it. 

IMG_0883.jpeg

nozeitgeist1800

not the best solution, but if your ladder wont support it, go buy one that will at home depot and return it after youve finished working on your bike.  shouldnt have any problems.

• Like 1

Are the jack stands fully extended?  This may be a situation where a friend might be needed.

How hard is the tire pushing into the ground?  If it is just lightly touching removing the shock should still be possible.  Installing might be a bit of a challenge.  I'm not terribly familiar with the adjustment range of the K Tech in this case.  If you can reduce the overall shock length then it would be easier to install in this case.  Just be sure to take a good measurement of its overall length so you can adjust it back once its on the bike.

If its pushing hard then get a friend to help get the bike higher on the stands:)

Can also try deflating the tire to get a bit more room.

• Like 1

M. Hausknecht

If the jack stands are already at their highest, put some wood (plywood works well) under them to make them a smidgen higher. 

• Like 1

Ok, had to pull out the big brain.

Remembered I have the TST captive spools at a lower lift point.

Adjusting my stand for those gives me a bit more lift, and now I can extend the jack stands another click up, which should give me the rear wheel height I need.

Thanks for the help here, as always. First bike I’ve done work on myself, if you couldn’t tell, lol!

image.jpg

Ok, so final question because the instructions don’t say. This little protrusion…does it face up (I assume so), or down, when installed? 

IMG_0886.jpeg