The MT-07 Forum

Rim replacement problems

DrewH

So I recently laid my 2015 liquid graphite color fz 07 over doing wheelies being dumb. Bike was fine frame sliders) really the only damage done was I dented my rear rim beyond repair. I bought a spare off  marketplace but it’s yellow so I’m trying to sand and repaint it. Only issue is I cannot get the rotor off. The bolts seem temperamental and I dont want to strip one but no matter how hard I try I cannot break the bolts loose. I’ve got PB blaster soaking on the bolts but other than that I don’t know what to try. Any tips for breaking those bolts loose? Also any tips for prepping and painting the rim? Thanks 

93FCB7DD-A54F-4624-933F-9D4639046F21.jpeg

Edited by DrewH

It's common that the bolts have thread locker on them, so you have to heat them enough to soften it.

• Like 1

Just now, Triple Jim said:

It's common that the bolts have thread locker on them, so you have to heat them enough to soften it.

How would I go about that? Oven?

No, just a propane torch or heat gun carefully aimed at the bolt you're working on.  You probably won't have to get it any hotter than will make spit on a finger go "psssssst".

Edited by Triple Jim

20 minutes ago, DrewH said:

it’s yellow so I’m trying to sand and repaint it. Only issue is I cannot get the rotor off.

That is a signal from a higher power to keep the rims yellow and ride it. 2 rims in the photo?

22 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

That is a signal from a higher power to keep the rims yellow and ride it. 2 rims in the photo?

Yeah two rims but only plan to use rear and keep the front as a spare.  but my bike is the dark grey and blue it’d look funky and it’s no problem to do a decent paint job the rotor is the only problem 

27 minutes ago, Triple Jim said:

No, just a propane torch or heat gun carefully aimed at the bolt you're working on.  You probably won't have to get it any hotter than will make spit on a finger go "psssssst".

Yeah I realized a blow torch was much more logical as soon as I replied. But I tried heating one for a solid few minutes and it still wouldn’t budge. I’m only using an Allen key with a handle so I guess I’ll try a breaker bar and Allen key attachment tomorrow 

The aluminum conducts the heat away from the bolt area very quickly.  You need to heat the bolt and surrounding aluminum and do the finger-spit test periodically until it's hot enough to go "psssst" and then some.  Then don't waste any time getting the wrench on and turned.  You're right about those button-head bolts being easy to strip the hex socket too.

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 1

M. Hausknecht

You sure you want to paint the rim? I haven't had great success painting over powder-coat. Those bolts are a PITA to remove.  Installed with thread-locker and a torque gun. Propane torch to heat the bolt and be sure to use a sharp-edged (fresh edges) allen head socket and pull smoothly. The risk is that you'll round out the the bolts and then removing them gets really involved. I don't think you can get the bolts too hot with propane, so I wouldn't worry about that. Plan on getting new disc bolts, because you will do some damage to the heads of the bolts removing them and you do not want to reuse them (in case you want or need to remove the discs again). Good luck!

• Like 1

I'm not sure if an induction bolt heater would work here, but I've seen them work wonders elsewhere. They're pretty pricey to buy, though, but some places might be able to rent them out.

• Like 1