The MT-07 Forum

Dash replacement

leothebolter

Hi guys, I’ve recently bought an abs 2015 MT07 and need to replace the dash as it is completely smashed it bits. I’ve found one nearby but it’s from a 2018 model and I’m just wondering whether it will plug straight in or not? A couple of people I’ve spoken to seem to think they are coded to the individual ecu, but I’ve not gotten a definitive answer on this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Does your 2015 have ABS?  The 2018 models all do, so they use a different speed sensor.  That alone would end any hope of a swap.

3 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

Does your 2015 have ABS?  The 2018 models all do, so they use a different speed sensor.  That alone would end any hope of a swap.

Yeah it has ABS

2 hours ago, Claude said:

FWIW, in Canada, ABS became available on 2017 models. I think it’s the same for USA.

I’m from the uk. And yeah both our bikes are ABS so I was hoping that’s all that will matter

• Like 1

The Yamaha part numbers are different:

2015   METER ASSY
2RC-83500-00-00

2018  METER ASSY
2RC-83500-20-00

Edited by Triple Jim

3 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

The Yamaha part numbers are different:

2015   METER ASSY
2RC-83500-00-00

2018  METER ASSY
2RC-83500-20-00

Does that 100% mean it won’t fit or do you think it’s worth a try 

Unless it's returnable if you try it and it doesn't work, I'd find out more before buying it.  A Yamaha dealer might be able to tell you if it would work.

4 minutes ago, Triple Jim said:

Unless it's returnable if you try it and it doesn't work, I'd find out more before buying it.  A Yamaha dealer might be able to tell you if it would work.

Yeah I’m buying second hand so I think I’ll give them a ring tomorrow. Thanks for your help you guys I appreciate you

• Global Moderator

The dash is not tied to the ECU (in North America anyway, I know the European bikes have an immobilizer that we do not get but I do not think that would be a factor).  The mileage is stored in the dash, so you will inherit whatever mileage the original bike had.  That is better than a smashed dash though ;) .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mjh937 said:

The dash is not tied to the ECU (in North America anyway, I know the European bikes have an immobilizer that we do not get but I do not think that would be a factor).  The mileage is stored in the dash, so you will inherit whatever mileage the original bike had.  That is better than a smashed dash though ;) .

That it is haha. Yeah I imagine they will be compatible as I know the abs and non-abs have different sensors for the speed. Hopefully the odo is low tho lol fingers crossed.

nozeitgeist1800
On 2/27/2023 at 8:29 PM, mjh937 said:

The mileage is stored in the dash, so you will inherit whatever mileage the original bike had.  That is better than a smashed dash though ;) .

your local dmv (or whatever the equivalent over there is) should have forms to fill out to show that the dash doesnt show the correct mileage. itll basically have a line for what the estimated mileage was before pulling the gauge cluster out and what the new gauge starts at, so future buyers can see a more accurate history of the vehicle. if you explain the situation, theyll know what you need. 

• Like 1

I think you mean that you have a 2015 FZ? Not MT?

No, it does not fit.  The bolt patterns on the back to mount it to the subframe are different.  That said, I think you can get an MT fairing stay.  I was going to get one as a replacement on my racebike, but it will not fit to the FZ mounting plate for it (aftermarket).  

Also, I think that you will not have the left side controls working.  (Which wasn't an issue for me on a race bike.)

And as people say, ABS related things.

In general, you can swap any FZ dash to any FZ ECU.  I.e., they don't need to match.  I just did it yesterday.

• Global Moderator
44 minutes ago, jb.junior said:

I think you mean that you have a 2015 FZ? Not MT?

No, it does not fit.  The bolt patterns on the back to mount it to the subframe are different.  That said, I think you can get an MT fairing stay.  I was going to get one as a replacement on my racebike, but it will not fit to the FZ mounting plate for it (aftermarket).  

Also, I think that you will not have the left side controls working.  (Which wasn't an issue for me on a race bike.)

And as people say, ABS related things.

In general, you can swap any FZ dash to any FZ ECU.  I.e., they don't need to match.  I just did it yesterday.

He is in the UK.  The FZ designation was only used in North America, in the rest of the world it was always an MT.  They also always had ABS everywhere else. 

48 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

They also always had ABS everywhere else.

Here in the UK we originally had both non ABS and ABS models of MT07 sold, I think it was around 2016 when the non ABS model was dropped but I could be a bit out on the year.

• Global Moderator

@AP996, thanks for the correction.  It is tough to keep up with some of the differences in other countries, but it is interesting to see how Yamaha makes different models depending on where they were being shipped.  I think it was 2017 that ABS was available at all in the US, and then it was only an option on the red bikes for some reason. 

• Like 1

leothebolter

Yeah I pulled the trigger in the end and it worked out. Saved myself a pretty penny. Thanks for all you guys' help tho.

• Like 3

On 3/1/2023 at 5:05 PM, leothebolter said:

Yeah I pulled the trigger in the end and it worked out. Saved myself a pretty penny. Thanks for all you guys' help tho.

Just curious; does your bike shows the same mileage prior to the dash swap or does it now shows the mileage the new dash came with?

leothebolter
On 3/8/2023 at 12:55 AM, Claude said:

Just curious; does your bike shows the same mileage prior to the dash swap or does it now shows the mileage the new dash came with?

The mileage changed mate, it appears it is locked to the dash rather than the ecu.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
1 hour ago, leothebolter said:

The mileage changed mate, it appears it is locked to the dash rather than the ecu.

I suppose Yamaha engineers had a choice - which more likely to be a "permanent" part of the motorcycle, a dash or an ecu. The ecu has that quick plug for removing it, but the dash has the removal complications of wiring running into it plus it's physically "mounted" - but both are "plug 'n play" at the end of the day.

Maybe they choose the dash because it's tough to "reprogram" the dash internal EPROM , while the ecu has reprogramming services, and wiring harnesses to plug in with the intent of reprogramming relatively easily available.