The MT-07 Forum

2020 Track Bike Build

Rtw1day

Building a project bike as my track bike, stripped down the street parts & added a 05 R6 front end

a few questions for you guys

will a R7 tank cover fit over the MT tank? If no, will a R7 tank & cover fit on the MT frame?

has anyone installed a R6/R1 shock? I’m going to run pod filter & remove the airbox so there is possible room for the resivor on a shock. How did it handled being longer & lack of linkage?

cheers

3B92921C-2F7B-40AD-95B2-8391D78158A3.jpeg

M. Hausknecht

There are many threads  here that address forks, triples, shocks, and shock linkages. I suggest you use the search function and see what all people have done.

The '05 R6 forks are shorter than the stock 07 forks, so it seems you've already decreased your steering head angle.  Stock is 24 degrees, so you're something below that. You have also likely changed the front trail (fork offset stock is 40mm and I think your R6 triples are either 30 or 35 mm). The smaller fork offset leads to more trail but the steeper steering head angle shortens it up again. Depending on your pace, you may or may not notice these changes in chassis geometry. Going to a longer shock than stock (with no changes to linkage) will raise the rear ride height, and further decrease  steering head angle and front trail. If you go to a 180/60 rear tire, your rear ride height will increase further. To avoid creating a Frankenstein monster that won't handle better than stock, you might want to consider how your parts swaps alter chassis geometry.    

• Like 1

• Premium Member

The R7 Tank Cover will not fit the MT tank. The fuel caps are in different locations. I was looking a friends R7, I think the R7 tank and cover will fit the MT frame, the mounts look similar, slight modification may be necessary

No idea on the R6/R1 shock swap.

Good luck with your project.

Ed 

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

13 hours ago, Rtw1day said:

has anyone installed a R6/R1 shock? I’m going to run pod filter & remove the airbox so there is possible room for the resivor on a shock.

I’ve not used or tried fitting one but I believe the earlier BMW s1000rr shock may also fit, I saw a Spanish MT07 race bike advertised that had one on it. Might be worth looking into.

• Thanks 1

On 2/26/2023 at 8:15 AM, Evill_Ed said:

The R7 Tank Cover will not fit the MT tank. The fuel caps are in different locations. I was looking a friends R7, I think the R7 tank and cover will fit the MT frame, the mounts look similar, slight modification may be necessary

No idea on the R6/R1 shock swap.

Good luck with your project.

Ed 

I second this and know it to be true about the tank and cover.

Edited by jb.junior
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/25/2023 at 9:09 PM, Rtw1day said:

Building a project bike as my track bike, stripped down the street parts & added a 05 R6 front end

a few questions for you guys

will a R7 tank cover fit over the MT tank? If no, will a R7 tank & cover fit on the MT frame?

has anyone installed a R6/R1 shock? I’m going to run pod filter & remove the airbox so there is possible room for the resivor on a shock. How did it handled being longer & lack of linkage?

cheers

3B92921C-2F7B-40AD-95B2-8391D78158A3.jpeg

Why did you go 05 front end?  It may not be an issue, and I don't really know the sizing and differences, but the standard for a front end R6 swap is 08-16; or even 2017+.  The vast majority of after market stuff for that front end is designed for the 08-16 (triples, fork kits, steering stabilizers, etc.).   You may be able to find it all, and 05 may even be compatible with 08-16, but you'd have to check.

Not sure about an R6 shock, but would it be OEM?  I'm not sure how much better it would be.  I think for pretty reasonable ($700-800), you can get the K-Tech Razor for the MT, which is pretty good.  

Edited by jb.junior
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2023 at 2:41 AM, jb.junior said:

Why did you go 05 front end?  It may not be an issue, and I don't really know the sizing and differences, but the standard for a front end R6 swap is 08-16; or even 2017+.  The vast majority of after market stuff for that front end is designed for the 08-16 (triples, fork kits, steering stabilizers, etc.).   You may be able to find it all, and 05 may even be compatible with 08-16, but you'd have to check.

Not sure about an R6 shock, but would it be OEM?  I'm not sure how much better it would be.  I think for pretty reasonable ($700-800), you can get the K-Tech Razor for the MT, which is pretty good.  

Got it for basically nothing & wanted the flat tracker forks that I was using back for another project, I can get a R6 shock from basically nothing do I was wondering about the results if anyone had experienced the swap

Just installed some adapter plates, being able to raise the stock rear sets I’m happy to keep them if I can get some non folding rigid pegs, anyone know of any manufacturers that make them that could work?

AD983A13-EC60-4D57-9FF3-75411C486780.jpeg

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Rtw1day said:

Just installed some adapter plates, being able to raise the stock rear sets I’m happy to keep them if I can get some non folding rigid pegs, anyone know of any manufacturers that make them that could work?

AD983A13-EC60-4D57-9FF3-75411C486780.jpeg

Woodcraft make a nice set. I have them. Replacement parts are readily available as well. 

Ed

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Evill_Ed said:

Woodcraft make a nice set. I have them. Replacement parts are readily available as well. 

Ed

Yeh the WC rear sets are probably the most solid looking sets. I was going to see if I could keep the OEM rear sets & replace the folding peg with a rigid non-folding peg since the brackets have moved the peg hight, any ideas if anyone makes such a peg?

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/15/2023 at 2:17 PM, Rtw1day said:

Yeh the WC rear sets are probably the most solid looking sets. I was going to see if I could keep the OEM rear sets & replace the folding peg with a rigid non-folding peg since the brackets have moved the peg hight, any ideas if anyone makes such a peg?

The Woodcraft rear sets won't work with those adapter plates, FYI.  At least when I tried with some adapter plates, they wouldn't.  I have to use the OEM plates, which I don't mind.  But give it a try -- maybe that exact kind will work with Woodcraft.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 3/15/2023 at 8:15 AM, Evill_Ed said:

Woodcraft are the only way to go if your tracking/racing the bike. The offer actual overnight also if your in a squeeze. Don't ask me how I know!!🤦‍♂️

P.S the quality is top notch for racing purpose's, they have a weak point built in the peg so it breaks at a certain point allowing a rider to continue with at least something for their feet to get a purchase on, if the crashed. just an FYI!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

It looks nice, but it also looks pretty long.  Does it fold if it hits pavement?  One of my few crashes happened because a non-folding peg grounded.  It's an instant low-side!  Maybe what I'm seeing is an illusion.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

It looks nice, but it also looks pretty long.  Does it fold if it hits pavement?  One of my few crashes happened because a non-folding peg grounded.  It's an instant low-side!  Maybe what I'm seeing is an illusion.

It’s not long, & no fold. It won’t hit as it’s way higher then stock & this is a track only bike

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 3/15/2023 at 2:15 PM, Evill_Ed said:

Ed

Hi!

Sorry for digging up after a long time, but can you tell me where did you get this plates and show me the one from left side? :)

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, kojotj93 said:

Hi!

Sorry for digging up after a long time, but can you tell me where did you get this plates and show me the one from left side? :)

I think @Rtw1day posted the picture of the plate. They look like the Robem Engineering ones.

Check these out.

https://www.robemengineering.com/product-page/fz-07-mt-07-rear-set-risers-v2-0-with-titanium-hardware

Ed