The MT-07 Forum

How much to install full system?

fairorth

Done! It was a struggle but I'm glad I did it -- personal satisfaction not to mention saving $250 bucks! I had a buddy with me who I owe a huge debt of gratitude, since he managed to figure out all the toughest parts. I did run down to the grocery store and grill up some steaks to celebrate after!

Russian Rider's video was our bible, we had the MacBook right next to the bike and ran and reran and paused the video the entire time. Thanks RR!!

OK, the first big thing for me was that the baffle was not installed and I was very nervous about pushing hard to get it in. Also, you need to be very exact so that the hole lines up when its in, it took me a few times of shoving it in and pushing it back out. I also destroyed the black rubber plug that came over the hole so I wasn't able to put it back afterwards as indicated in the written instructions.

Getting the exhaust tubes in and tighten took us at least an hour. We did it with the muffler on the pipe and that was probably a mistake, since RR did it with the pipes only then slipped on the muffler, but I was worried I would not be able to get it on once the pipes were there. OK, the friggen gaskets gave us fits to and I ended up putting a drop of super glue on one and sticking it on that way. Hope that doesn't come back to haunt me.

The hanger was the killer, as everyone knows. We just couldn't get it. Ended up putting on the hanger bolt to the bike first, then attaching the other side to the muffler strap. We only got one of two hanger bolts on the bike. Its feels solid as a rock but I have the other one, and if folks here think its necessary, I could probably ask the shop to get it on when I go in for the 600 mile service in a few weeks.

Its on, wiped down with rubbing alcohol, and fired up and I love the sound. It was late at night and cold and it was time to fire up the grill so I just took it around the block just to see and then it was onto the drinking and eating. Looking forward to a ride later today and I'll get some pictures posted up here today too.

Thanks everyone for all the support and encouragement.

Marc

My bike history
-----------------
82 VT-500 Ascot
86 VFR Interceptor
04 MV Agusta F4 Brutale S (750)
10 Street Triple R
15 FZ-07 (arrived 12/6/2015)!!

• Premium Member

Man sounds like you had a little bit of a hard time....:(

I would put all the bolts in but if it were me. But I've been know to leave a bolt out here and there over the years with no issues that I know of.

Congrats on getting it done fingers crossed for you to not have any issues.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

I had trouble with that little rubber plug on the muffler, too. While trying to remove it, I actually pushed it into the muffler and spent a solid 30 minutes shaking the muffler over my head, peering into the little hole to try to make the plug visible. Once I could see it, I used the spring puller to gently pull the plug back though the hole. This took several attempts before I actually pulled it through ... Reminded me of when I drop my pic into the hole on my guitar! I'm glad you were able to do the installation yourself. Wrenching on your own bike is just part of the experience -- Congrats!

• Premium Member

Awesome job on the exhaust. Doesn't matter how much you cuss, if you finished.. it's a success.

Everything went braap.

Protip: put a couple dabs of high temp silicone on the header gaskets to keep them in place. 
(I'm not a professional.)

I'd be glad to help, but Texas is a long ways away. Regardless, any friend who has at the very least changed a set of spark plugs, or assembled Ikea furniture can do it.

Make sure you torque the exhaust bolts to the Yamaha specs, the rest is practically foolproof.
No kidding.  I bought a desk from them, it took me longer to get that assembled than almost any other 'garage' project I've ever attempted including full car suspension installs, outboard motor repairs, etc. 
If you can assemble IKEA furniture, you should be qualified to wrench on the Space Shuttle...

;)

• 1 month later...
Thanks everyone. OK, I'm convinced! I cancelled my appointment and I'm gonna find someone more compentent than me (easy to do) who works for beer (also no problem) and give it a go. I'll post my results under the heading of "a total klutz installs an exhaust!". 
Marc
Bravo, my friend. You learned something about your bike and yourself on this journey.

Fortune favors the bold.
Fortunam iuuare.

BTW, I would get that second bolt in, sir.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

• 1 year later...

I just went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Titanium Akra and, feeling confident even though I've never so much as owned a screwdriver in my life, cleared some space in the garage and jumped feet first into my first mechanical endeavor. Well, I'm stuck already haha. I have watched quite a few videos of various systems being installed and been around on some forums and it seems that everything should be easy enough to remove/tighten that basic hand tools should be all that are necessary. I'm a fairly athletic and muscular guy and I can't get the allen bolts to budge. As I mentioned before, I have absolutely no mechanical knowledge whatsoever so I'm hoping someone could perhaps point me to a tool that will give me more leverage or something than the basic allen keys that came with the bike.

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s506/Eledor9/Remove3_zpscuyc2z5u.jpg

If I described that poorly, the photo should show you the exact step I'm on. Those suckers are in there tight.

ducttapewd40
I just went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Titanium Akra and, feeling confident even though I've never so much as owned a screwdriver in my life, cleared some space in the garage and jumped feet first into my first mechanical endeavor. Well, I'm stuck already haha. I have watched quite a few videos of various systems being installed and been around on some forums and it seems that everything should be easy enough to remove/tighten that basic hand tools should be all that are necessary. I'm a fairly athletic and muscular guy and I can't get the allen bolts to budge. As I mentioned before, I have absolutely no mechanical knowledge whatsoever so I'm hoping someone could perhaps point me to a tool that will give me more leverage or something than the basic allen keys that came with the bike. 

If I described that poorly, the photo should show you the exact step I'm on. Those suckers are in there tight.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-7-pc-metric-t-through-handle-ball/p-00946384000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3 
Having a set of these makes almost every job on our bikes 10 times easier.  You can definitely get more leverage on them and then spin them the rest of the way out easier.

I think those bolts are held in with Loctite You wont get much leverage with the allen keys that come with the bike....
Get your self a cheap set like this http://www.clarkeinternational.com/shop/product/details/cht144-40-pce-torxspline-bit-holder-s
Makes life so much easier

• Premium Member
phicurious86

Not to rain on your parade, but if you've never wrenched before, an exhaust should not be your first project. You can royally screw some stuff up at the headers. 
You're going to need to invest in some fairly expensive tools to do the install right. Torque wrench (which you should use for tightening but not loosening bolts), allen heads for the torque wrench, regular socket wrench for loosening bolts and/or some decent t-handles.

Strongly suggest that you take it to someone who knows what they are doing and pay them to do it right. You'll save yourself a ton of time, and won't have to worry about messing up your bike.

At the very least find someone who knows what they are doing and is willing to help you set it up for a few beers.

You can buy sockets that are Allen head. Do yourself a favor and go buy a set. You will use them again and it will make the job MUCH easier. Buy a good set and a nice ratchet too. You'll need to buy a torque wrench too. This is a good excuse to build up your tool collection. Follow along with a YouTube video and just take your time. You got this!

Unfortunately I got called in to work so the project got put on hold. But I stopped by my local hardware store on the way home and grabbed some tools based on your suggestions, so thanks for those. I managed to install a K&N air filter without any assistance although it probably took me longer than it should have and I'm exhausted now so I'm going to sleep. Tomorrow I'll take another stab at the exhaust system. Recruited a helper as well. Also, I realize that this probably wasn't the ideal starting project for someone who knows essentially nothing about tools or things of a mechanical nature but I'm a natural risk taker (I mean, I ride motorcycles) and I like to learn and challenge myself. I really don't think I'm so inept that I'm going to damage anything beyond repair. My cousin is a motorcycle mechanic by profession so I have that to fall back on if necessary. I may not have the deepest pockets, but it won't be the end of the world if I have to pay someone to fix something if I have to. Anyway, thanks again for the advice and encouragement. I'll be back in the next few days either to declare success or ask some more really noob questions so stay tuned!

Wanted to throw in my 2 cents on congratulating you. Glad you undertook it and got it done. Cheers.

• Premium Member
phicurious86
 Also, I realize that this probably wasn't the ideal starting project for someone who knows essentially nothing about tools or things of a mechanical nature but I'm a natural risk taker (I mean, I ride motorcycles) and I like to learn and challenge myself. I really don't think I'm so inept that I'm going to damage anything beyond repair. My cousin is a motorcycle mechanic by profession so I have that to fall back on if necessary.
Smart decision. Even if you didn't damage things too badly, it's one more headache down the road that could be easily avoided. There's risky behavior, and reckless behavior. Being able to identify when you've slid from one to the other is a very valuable skill.

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s506/Eledor9/20160314_125612_zpsvtgc2nbl.jpg

Success! Just grabbing a couple of basic tools made it so much easier. Thanks for the advice fellas. I didn't have to ask as many questions as I feared, but it was still nice to know I had a support net here to fall back on. Unfortunately the baffle is staying in for now. That's a project for later. With the baffle in, the new system is slightly louder, definitely deeper and perhaps its my imagination but it feels like the bike has a bit more bite. This is my daily driver, so to speak, so for now I'm alright with the fact that it doesn't set off car alarms or scare the shit out of the Amish horses. My new (false) sense of mechanical prowess has me looking at possible exhausts for my GSX-R 750 now. Oh the possibilities the future holds...
Anyway, thanks again for the help and keep that rubber side down!

Honestly I'm not sure what it is or how it got there. But it's off now. Prob shoulda cleaned it then snapped a pic but I was impatient.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all the info I was able to pretty easily get my Yoshimura installed last night.  Took about three hours but I bet I could do it in half that time now that I know what I am doing.

Couple of things that I learned that may prove useful to other people.  Also I am not a pro so what I didn't might not be correct!

1.  Use some Permatex 81160 High-Temp Red RTV Silicone Gasket to secure the gasket in place.  Made keeping the gaskets in place as I installed the header super easy.

2.  Disconnect the O2 Sensor cable before unscrewing the sensor made it easy to remove without twisting the cable all up.  Also makes it easier to put back on.

3.  Using some twine to keep the rear set pulled out of the way

4.  3/8" universal joint made getting to all the different nuts super simple.

5.  Nitrate Gloves to keep the pipes finger print free.

Hope this helps someone else in the future.

nGwA2ii.jpg

603nytroxtx

Thanks for the info! I hope to be installing the Yosh soon!

2015 FZ-07 Graphite
*Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Works Finish
*2WDW ECU Flash
*OES Sliders
*GearBrake Flashing Smart Brake Light
*Creese Tail Tidy with LED
*TST Industries Flushmount front LED
*Motionpro R6 throttle tube
*Yamaha Fly Screen
*X-Grip with Bruudt mount

Archived