The MT-07 Forum

How much to install full system?

fairorth

How much to you all feel is a fair price to have a full system installed?

The bike shop I'm planning to use told me to expect a 3 hour job -- at $80/hour.

Please dont try and convince me to do it myself, its a miracle I didn't break something or discover a missing part when changing my oil.

What has everyone who has done it at a shop found it cost for the install?

Thanks!

My bike history
-----------------
82 VT-500 Ascot
86 VFR Interceptor
04 MV Agusta F4 Brutale S (750)
10 Street Triple R
15 FZ-07 (arrived 12/6/2015)!!

• Premium Member

That's a rip to me. $240 to undo 4 flange nuts, and 2 bolts holding the muffler? The installation is equally as quick and simple.

If I was paying for that and they asked for more than a hundo I'd instantly tell em to kick rocks. It would take an average mechanic no longer to change the oil so even a hundo is a rip imo.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

Oh I forgot you have to undo the O2 sensor as well.

Nooow I see why it's $240.
Kidding, still a scam.

Everything went braap.

• Global Moderator

I am not going to try and try and convince me to do it yourself, but don't you have a tech savvy friend that can do it for you. It is a simple job and will be fun to do. You can be his assistant and learn something too. And nothing beats having a beer while 'working' on your bike.

• Global Moderator

I agree with Guru. Buy a mechanically inclined friend a six pack to "help" you install it. That will save you about $230.

On the FZ-07 it probably takes less time to install a full system than it does to install a slip-on because you don't need to cut the header pipe when installing a full system. I agree with hobbs. Charging you three hours labor isn't reasonable, it's [strong]rape.[/strong]
A reputable shop should charge you about an hour's labor; tops.

Agreed, shouldn't take more than an hour.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

• Premium Member

I never worked on a bike prior to installing my full exhaust and it was easy. I actually had to lift the fuel tank as well for the controller. Free up a day grab some beer and get to work. Its not as bad as you think.

I'd say go to a smaller shop where the guy is a real business man and personable, they tend to be more reasonable.

If you go the friend route, you can show them this video to let them kniow what's involved, pretty easy: (might be a different brand exhaust, maybe some small differences, but close enough)

Thanks everyone. OK, I'm convinced! I cancelled my appointment and I'm gonna find someone more compentent than me (easy to do) who works for beer (also no problem) and give it a go. I'll post my results under the heading of "a total klutz installs an exhaust!".

Marc

My bike history
-----------------
82 VT-500 Ascot
86 VFR Interceptor
10 Street Triple R

Thanks everyone. OK, I'm convinced! I cancelled my appointment and I'm gonna find someone more compentent than me (easy to do) who works for beer (also no problem) and give it a go. I'll post my results under the heading of "a total klutz installs an exhaust!". 
Marc
Don't know where you live but I live in Lake Elsinore, CA  and I can help if you need. I've been waiting to install a yoshi exhaust and have watched the video by russianrider about 5 times.  
Good luck either way, post a video of the sound once your done

Guest August BB

You have any friends who can stop by and help you? Even if you have a friend who has never worked on anything at all in their life, you should ask them to help you and you two tackle it together.

Anyway, long before I started doing things to my bike, probably a week or two after getting it, I talked to my dealer and they were familiar with installing exhausts on a fz07 and he quoted me 100 bucks which I thought was reasonable. I still had no idea which exhaust I was putting on so I thanked him for answering my inquiry.

That said, as someone who has never worked on cars in his entire life, after I installed my tail tidy, HIDs, and intake mesh, I realized doing things for my bike was relatively easy so I also gave installing my full exhaust system a shot. Although it took me a long time since I over-think a lot of things, 4-5 hours, all in all it wasn't that bad. I would say the biggest hassle (not unique to individual systems) is putting on the header pipe while keeping the header gaskets in place. At least that was a minor pain for me. Everything else is just inserting screws and tightening. If I had a buddy (with no mechanical experience as well) along for the ride, we probably would be able to cut the time down in half.

Afterwards I changed the oil, cleaned/lubed the chain as well as tightened it no problem- which actually is all much easier than installing the exhaust but dare I say I will even consider synching throttle bodies myself? Hmmm... if I can do that, I will never have to visit a dealership for maintenance! Wheeeee!

The internet really has changed the game for me.  Had I bought my motorcycle back when I was intending to, I would have paid a lot of money to let other people do all these things which I am doing myself thanks to this site and youtube which all have given me the knowledge to do it all myself.

• Premium Member

Protip: put a couple dabs of high temp silicone on the header gaskets to keep them in place.

(I'm not a professional.)

I'd be glad to help, but Texas is a long ways away. Regardless, any friend who has at the very least changed a set of spark plugs, or assembled Ikea furniture can do it.

Make sure you torque the exhaust bolts to the Yamaha specs, the rest is practically foolproof.

Everything went braap.

Guest August BB
Protip: put a couple dabs of high temp silicone on the header gaskets to keep them in place. 

I'd be glad to help, but Texas is a long ways away. Regardless, any friend who has at the very least changed a set of spark plugs, or assembled Ikea furniture can do it.

Make sure you torque the exhaust bolts to the Yamaha specs, the rest is practically foolproof.
Yeah, that's the one thing no one ever mentions in how-tos.  There was one that said to put some grease on it, but that little word was lost on me when I searched grease.  What grease?  There are so many, is there no one generic "grease" I can use, they all seem to be marketed for very specific things and parts.  All I know is WD40 is not grease.  What is grease?  Can anyone tell me if there is a small cheap thing of multi-purpose grease I can use for future reference?  Haha... grease.  Dammit. 

• Premium Member

Yeah, that's the one thing no one ever mentions in how-tos.  There was one that said to put some grease on it, but that little word was lost on me when I searched grease.  What grease?  There are so many, is there no one generic "grease" I can use, they all seem to be marketed for very specific things and parts.  All I know is WD40 is not grease.  What is grease?  Can anyone tell me if there is a small cheap thing of multi-purpose grease I can use for future reference?  Haha... grease.  Dammit. 

I used a little dab of bearing grease I had around for packing wheel bearings. It is like this stuff here. It is thick enough and worked great for holding the gaskets in place.  

Vasoline will also work to hold in the exhaust gaskets too, that's what I used. My friends give me crap for having a tub in my garage, but it's very handy for situation like this.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

I am not going to try and try and convince me to do it yourself, but don't you have a tech savvy friend that can do it for you. It is a simple job and will be fun to do. You can be his assistant and learn something too. And nothing beats having a beer while 'working' on your bike.
for all the things i need to do in life that don't require a vehicle lift.... this how it gets done.  i have never done most handy things , but i have the internet and i have a few contractor friends that pretty much save me tons of money. provide them with craft beer from a far away lands and shit gets done. and the more it happens you'll be surprised the less you actually call them. 
i attribute it to me :

1. getting older and growing up
2. wanting to be a manly man so why have another person do it.
3. i'm very sure i'm smarter than a few of my friends. i love them to death but if they can do it i should be able to build a rocket ship in my garage.

i also think about it like this if i try it and fuck it up ill just pay them to fix it anyway .

• Premium Member

If you look up Russian Rider's how to exhaust and still don't feel comfortable doing it then call a bud. I've been paid to be a mechanic since 1998 or so and I still look up how too videos. My advice would be if you decide to do it put all the bolts in by hand and get a Torque wrench and torque ( I have a nice little craftsman 3/8 drive its 10 to 75 ft lbs ) them to proper specs. you Cross a bolt in the head and that the worst thing that could happen IMO put it in with your hand problem avoided. I say get a few tools learn how to work on your ride and be proud of it.

But there is no shame in having someone do it if you can afford it and don't like messing with it then don't.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member

That exhaust sounds friggin great IMO too! 1000 bucks for some good tunes might have just found a way in my budget lol
Correction 600 bucks

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• 3 weeks later...

OK, tomorrow is the day. I've watched Russian Rider's how to video five times, got a tub of vasoline, a case of Tacate. What could go wrong?

My bike history
-----------------
82 VT-500 Ascot
86 VFR Interceptor
10 Street Triple R

• Global Moderator

Make sure you post photos of the finished product. You are going to feel great after you are done and it is running.

HELP! I can't not install the baffle in the muffler. The baffle has a black circular ring and it simply doesn't fit into the muffler outlet. Anyone have any advice on a trick to install it?

My bike history
-----------------
82 VT-500 Ascot
86 VFR Interceptor
10 Street Triple R

nevermind ... got it. wish mine had arrived installed!

My bike history
-----------------
82 VT-500 Ascot
86 VFR Interceptor
10 Street Triple R

• Global Moderator
nevermind ... got it. wish mine had arrived installed!

Is it finished? How did it go?

Archived