The MT-07 Forum

Any issues with using a pad-style paddock stand?

Subito

I’m not inclined to fiddle with spool adapters/etc on my 2022 MT-07 that would enable the use of a spool-style paddock stand, but I’m wondering if the weld bead on the underside of the swingarm would be a pressure point with a pad-style lifter that could potentially result in damage to the weld bead/swingarm.

Any thoughts or experiences re this issue?

M. Hausknecht

I've got spools on my 07 but I think the pad style could work as long as the swingarm doesn't slide on the pads. I've got a steeper swingarm angle than stock, so I'd fear sliding but the stock swingarm angle is fairly horizontal. It isn't a big deal to get bosses for spools welded on. Yu might want to give it some thought.  

17 minutes ago, M. Hausknecht said:

I've got spools on my 07 but I think the pad style could work as long as the swingarm doesn't slide on the pads. I've got a steeper swingarm angle than stock, so I'd fear sliding but the stock swingarm angle is fairly horizontal. It isn't a big deal to get bosses for spools welded on. Yu might want to give it some thought.  

If I was going to go in that general direction, I think I’d get the Gilles adjusters with integrated spools:

Gilles AXB Chain Adjuster for the Yamaha FZ-07/MT-07 and XSR700

Edited by Subito
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Subito said:

...a pressure point with a pad-style lifter that could potentially result in damage to the weld bead/swingarm.

Any thoughts or experiences re this issue?

Gently lifting the bike up with a pad type rear stand is nothing  compared to the pressures and stresses of a vehicle moving at speed, leaning at sweeping turns, hitting bumps that occasionally are severe enough to bend a rim but not damage the frame or swingarm.

I do it all the time. Just use common sense. If it looks stable it probably is.

As for the weld bead on the swingarm, you could bang a hammer on any decent weld and not hurt it.

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Gently lifting the bike up with a pad type rear stand is nothing  compared to the pressures and stresses of a vehicle moving at speed, leaning at sweeping turns, hitting bumps that occasionally are severe enough to bend a rim but not damage the frame or swingarm.

I do it all the time. Just use common sense. If it looks stable it probably is.

As for the weld bead on the swingarm, you could bang a hammer on any decent weld and not hurt it.

Oh, I agree about the safety of pad-type stands on typical swingarms. I used a pad-style stand on my then-new 2003 Suzuki SV650 years ago and it was fine, but that was a box-section aluminum swingarm with no weld bead.

Plus now I have a Baxley Sport Chock stand on the front of my MT-07, which makes using any rear stand a doddle.

Good to know about the robustness of the weld bead, I suspected I was overthinking this issue but needed a little reassurance. Thanks much!

• Like 1

I've used one on my XSR, having a similar gull wing style swing arm.  Sliding up into that arc was my only concern, but with a bit of care it's no problem.   I was using one of the low buck but totally functional Harbor Freight stands.

I did go with a set of the Gilles chain adjusters with the paddock stand spools on it though when there was a good buy on them a couple years back.   

• Global Moderator

I mirror @klx678, only I have a Trackside paddock. It included spool & pad pickups, I used the pads at first but got on board the Gilles chain adjusters/spools because everybody said "Quality" in comments about the parts. And they are quality for sure. And spools are effective, if all your bikes have them.

I'm not a fan of the pad style stand.  They wont damage your bike using them but they also don't hold the bike very secure.  Only time we really used the one we had at the shop was when a bike came in with a broken spool.  If it's just for putting your bike up to store it then they are ok.  I wouldn't want to do any work on the bike while it's on a pad style stand.

Gilles makes nice stuff.  I've been using the TST Industries captive chain adjusters.  They aren't as flashy as the gilles stuff but are also less expensive.  I've been happy with those.  You can also convert them over to superbike lifters if you wanted.

I've not had any problem with any movement with the pad set up on the three bikes I have on which the swing arms are straight tubes.  The arched right side tube on my XSR (and a lot of other bikes) was my concern if the bike slipped forward a bit on the right side arm.  

The problem I have with the Gilles set up is that they are low, making my solid steel pit stand raise the bike excessively high and takes a lot of effort to get it there.  The aluminum stand I got to work (Harbor Freight and others sell it) is the right height, but has a warning and is likely not to securely support the bike if one got on the bike for any reason.   Probably shouldn't do that anyway and I don't remember actually climbing on the bike while on the stand anyway.

Edited by klx678
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, klx678 said:

I've not had any problem with any movement with the pad set up on the three bikes I have on which the swing arms are straight tubes.  The arched right side tube on my XSR (and a lot of other bikes) was my concern if the bike slipped forward a bit on the right side arm.  

The problem I have with the Gilles set up is that they are low, making my solid steel pit stand raise the bike excessively high and takes a lot of effort to get it there.  The aluminum stand I got to work (Harbor Freight and others sell it) is the right height, but has a warning and is likely not to securely support the bike if one got on the bike for any reason.   Probably shouldn't do that anyway and I don't remember actually climbing on the bike while on the stand anyway.

I know what you about being "low". I recently bought a Woodcraft stand, and the risers are adjustable height.... It makes lifting the bike up REALLY easy, and the rear wheel is only about an inch off the ground. I own several bikes, and sold all my "Pit-Bull" stands, and replaced with Woodcraft

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

I have a couple of the HF stands and might just have to cut a couple inches out of one of them, sleeve the pieces together and have welded.  I have the adapters to use on spools.

I had some Venom stands with pads and used them for winter storage for a couple years on both my MT and my fiancé's Ninja with no issues. Granted, I tried to be extra careful how we positioned the bikes because I was nervous about them shifting and falling off the stands, but that never actually happened. I switched over to spools just for piece of mind, but I'd say using pads are fine on our bikes. 

I don't know how confident I'd be using them for any serious work on the bike, but they seemed just fine when I used them to install small things like case covers and sliders. I was just careful to position them as securely as possible and gave the bike a few shakes to make sure nothing was shifting before I did anything, though. 

I've used them on my Zephyr 550, KLX650, and KLX250 without any issue, but those bikes do not have the arced right side arm.  That was my only concern when using one on the 700, that it might slip into the arc one way or another, so I got the Gilles spool/chain adjusters.

I have the Gilles set-up on my MT07.

I previously had a Honda Superhawk and used a steel rod through center of the axle when I need to lift the rear with my vortex stand. 

Is the Gilles install as simple as removing the two nuts on the chain adjuster bolt, taking off the OEM swingarm end cap and then attaching the Gilles chain adjuster by threading it onto the adjuster bolt until it is snug against the end of the swingarm?

I’ve seen people say the rear tire and axle need to be removed for the Gilles install, while others have said only the axle has to be removed. 

It seems to me the axle or axle nut shouldn’t need to be disturbed at all, the only issue is making sure the Gilles is snugged up against the swingarm so that the axle position would remain the same if you loosen the axle nut.

What am I missing here?

• Premium Member
Just now, Subito said:

Is the Gilles install as simple as removing the two nuts on the chain adjuster bolt, taking off the OEM swingarm end cap and then attaching the Gilles chain adjuster by threading it onto the adjuster bolt until it is snug against the end of the swingarm?

I’ve seen people say the rear tire and axle need to be removed for the Gilles install, while others have said only the axle has to be removed. 

It seems to me the axle or axle nut shouldn’t need to be disturbed at all, the only issue is making sure the Gilles is snugged up against the swingarm so that the axle position would remain the same if you loosen the axle nut.

What am I missing here?

You will need to support the back of the bike to install the Gilles chain adjusters. This is one-time thing, after that it's all very easy. I hung the back of my bike from the rafters in my garage for the install (with a come-along). After that, everything became REALLY easy. I wouldn't do it any other way-

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, 7fold said:

I had some Venom stands with pads and used them for winter storage for a couple years on both my MT and my fiancé's Ninja with no issues. Granted, I tried to be extra careful how we positioned the bikes because I was nervous about them shifting and falling off the stands, but that never actually happened. I switched over to spools just for piece of mind, but I'd say using pads are fine on our bikes. 

I don't know how confident I'd be using them for any serious work on the bike, but they seemed just fine when I used them to install small things like case covers and sliders. I was just careful to position them as securely as possible and gave the bike a few shakes to make sure nothing was shifting before I did anything, though. 

With all due respect.... Buying a "bargain" stand is like getting a "good deal" on a tattoo... NOT worth it!!!! I've been there/done that, and dropped bikes in my garage (more than once). I'm kind of a slow-learner, but after having several stands "fail", I'll NEVER use anything other than Woodcraft, or Pit-Bull.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, cornerslider said:

You will need to support the back of the bike to install the Gilles chain adjusters. This is one-time thing, after that it's all very easy. I hung the back of my bike from the rafters in my garage for the install (with a come-along). After that, everything became REALLY easy. I wouldn't do it any other way-

I already have the bike in winter storage on a Woodcraft stand, using some Evotech axle sliders/spools I got a good price on. They’re OK for long-term bike storage and chain lubing, but not chain adjustment as the long Evotech mounting bolt runs through the axle. And they’re fugly. So I’ll pull them off come spring regardless. You guys are a bad influence, now I’m leaning towards getting the Gilles adjusters, damn it! ;)

Edited by Subito

I have had mine on a Pad-Style since November. Had zero issue.

image.png.d79fc5eb05debb1e55b2fe8b5e40fc93.png

pegs slide out for pads

2022 Yamaha MT-07 Cyan Storm, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 [VN2000A], 1997 Yamaha YZF600R - Thundercat [project]