The MT-07 Forum

More efficient headlight ??

Claude

One of my other rides is a 2017 Kawasaki Versys 1000. FWIW, it comes with two headlights, each of them having an incandescent H7 bulb. On our Versys 1000 forum, one member posted something interesting about headlight. He installed larger wires feeding both headlamps and got more lumen (measured) out of each bulb. I don’t remember the numbers but it was not negligeable (maybe 10/15% more). He got the same results with OEM 55W H7 as well as with 80W H7.

So, I’m wondering if it’s the same for my 2017 FZ07. Being off riding season here and with the bike currently on my work table, it would be the perfect timing to install those larger headlamp wires if significant results can be achieved. I’m currently fitting twin horns and I’ll feed them with larger (fused) wires and a relay directly from the battery.

Edited by Claude

Interesting. I have not heard of the wiring being undersized on the bikes, but that was a common issue with the older Jeep Cherokees. Adding a relay and running power from the battery on larger wires made a very noticeable difference in the headlights on those! People even selling custom harnesses on eBay for that purpose.

5 hours ago, Subito said:

Just speculation, but I suspect the H7 bulbs draw more current than LEDs and thus would benefit more from heavier-gauge wires.

Yes but on a bike that have OEM H7, I would think that the manufacturer would have used correct gauge wires. But looks like it was not the case on my 2017 Versys 1000.

ust wondering if a 2017 FZ07, that have OEM H4 incandescent bulb, would also benefit from larger than OEM wires.

Anyone here already installed a 55/100W or 80/100W H4 bulb ?

If so, any problem with excessive heat melting the plastic headlight Lens?

On 2/16/2023 at 10:29 PM, RD350 said:

Any bike benefits from a set of headlight relays, one for high, one for main

You surely mean when using a H4 bulb with higher than OEM 55/60W wattage??

Edited by Claude

Not just then, but always. so as to get all the battery voltage to the lamp instead of running all that amperage through the mainswitch and dipswitch

• Like 2