The MT-07 Forum

Icon helmet anybody

fastfredyb

• Premium Member

The Airmada helmet is excellent. I upgraded from a base model HJC to the Airamada.

The fit is tight getting on and off, but once on it's very comfortable. Stable on the FZ. I only feel much drag or tugging on the helmet when riding into strong headwinds or crosswinds at high speeds. It's not carbon fiber but it is pretty light.

The ventilation is really good but the trade-off is that it's loud. Very tolerable with ear plugs, which I wear anyway.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

I went to several places and tried on every helmet they had. I thought the ICON fit me well and it didn't seem cheep at all the pads were very soft and comfy.

I say go try some on then look online for the best deal :)

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

The Airmada helmet is excellent. I upgraded from a base model HJC to the Airamada. 
The fit is tight getting on and off, but once on it's very comfortable. Stable on the FZ. I only feel much drag or tugging on the helmet when riding into strong headwinds or crosswinds at high speeds. It's not carbon fiber but it is pretty light.

The ventilation is really good but the trade-off is that it's loud. Very tolerable with ear plugs, which I wear anyway.
Thanks hoobs, we need more real life test like yours vs store (Revzilla like) marketing test. Loud is one draught back of less expensive helmets, as options, comfort, air flow and weight. If you can deal with those or ride short distances, there are NO reason to pay more for a helmet.

I have an Icon Dark Alliance. Great budget helmet IMHO. Comes with a clear and a smoke visor, its comfortable and has the basics. Got decent reveiws on revzilla and a thunbs up as a budget helmet from Rideapart.com

My buddy has the HJC IS-17 and likes it also.

Sounds like all good options :) good luck

That's the real answer. Try in a BRICK AND MORTAR store, then give them the business, you might want to change size! I personaly think its harder to buy a helmet on line, because of the size and the feel of it.

That's the real answer. Try in a BRICK AND MORTAR store, then give them the business, you might want to change size! I personaly think its harder to buy a helmet on line, because of the size and the feel of it.

I agree, helmet's can be tricky to find the right size.  If I buy online, I would need to find somewhere where I can exchange with no issues like restocking and return shipping.  
Thanks all for the feedback

I heard good things about the Airmada ... but.

It's a relatively loud helmet when riding a naked bike. So, i opted for something else.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

I have the ICON Airmada, Got it from 'Zilla in October...love it. My size is in between XS and S so I went XS considering the pads will form to my head after wearing it for several rides . . . I was right, very comfy, reasonably quiet, Pinlock is awesome...only thing I could have asked for was integrated sunshade of sorts but thats minor as if I need sunglasses, then I'll need them when I get where I am going so why not wear them on the way!! :)

Icon helmets are great. My first helmet was an Icon Torrent and I love it and still occasionally wear it. Just be careful with the white or very light colors because the sun will fade them. Have not had any issues other than they can be a bit heavy. I have since bought a Scorpion helmet which is much louder and a lot colder when it happens to be cold. The Icon never left my head cold even when it was in the mid 30's. The shields are reasonably priced as well which I found a plus. Don't be the guy that runs a clear shield because you are too cheap to buy a tinted shield its bad for your eyes and makes you look like a new rider when rocking gas station sunglasses that don't fit inside the helmet.

Oh and that helmet for that price I would buy that in a hurry before they are out of stock, and would be buying that if I had not just bought a helmet, great price for a really good helmet. Plus it's ECE certified which is just as good an the dated SNELL safety rating. Europe has a better motorcycle culture than we do and ECE is the equivalent of DOT here.

Follow me on Instagram. http://instagram.com/trebec

I would go for one of the Bell RS-1 helmet from this seller here. Some designs are only around $150. You should go to a store and try on all sizes to see which one fits you best, and buy from wherever gives you the best price.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=motorheadzone&_armrs=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC0.A0.H0.Xbell+rs1&_nkw=bell+rs1&_sacat=0

JUST BOUGHT MY AIRMADA SB1 IN BLUE
$91 AT DENNIS KIRK ON LINE
IT IS A MN COMPANY SO IM ABLE TO GO AND PICK IT UP
WHAT A NICE HELMET
NEVER OWNED AN ICON BEFORE AND WONT RIDE WITH IT FOR A FEW MONTHES SO I CANT SAY HOW THAT WILL BE BUT I
HAVENT HEARD ANYTHING BAD ONLINE ABOUT THERE HELMETS
SO I THINK IM GOOD
COULDNT GO WRONG FOR LESS THEN 100 DOLLARS

• Global Moderator

Hey @gtmn, What's up with the CAPS? Typing like that will be considered by some as shouting and will be seen as rude. Please don't.

One of the best helmets I've ever had. Super comfy, pin lock visor, and lots of vents. Not as quiet as I'd hoped but way less noise than other helmets I have. Outstanding value in my opinion.

Almost forgot the best part and what led me to the Airmada in the first place...I can't make the visor fog no matter how hard I try.

JUST BOUGHT MY AIRMADA SB1 IN BLUE $91 AT DENNIS KIRK ON LINE
IT IS A MN COMPANY SO IM ABLE TO GO AND PICK IT UP
WHAT A NICE HELMET
NEVER OWNED AN ICON BEFORE AND WONT RIDE WITH IT FOR A FEW MONTHES SO I CANT SAY HOW THAT WILL BE BUT I
HAVENT HEARD ANYTHING BAD ONLINE ABOUT THERE HELMETS
SO I THINK IM GOOD
COULDNT GO WRONG FOR LESS THEN 100 DOLLARS
Thanks for the info. looking at them now.  I tried on some Icon helmets this weekend and I like them except for the faceshield. There's a locking mechanism that makes it inconvenient to open while in the store , even tougher while riding. 

• Premium Member

A lot of people mentioned the locking rod on the reviews. Honesty I have no issues at all with it, even in winter gloves. Personally I actually like it.

Everything went braap.

It's their Pin-lock system...ensures weather tight seal around perimeter of face-shield. Have to get used to it but at speed, when you close it fully you can definitely tell it's effectiveness!

Archived