The MT-07 Forum

Throttle cables relocation

Claude

Once again, I'm searching a thread that I can't find anymore...

2017 FZ07. Is it possible to relocate the throttle cables under the brake lever?

I would do it only for cosmetic issues. I know it already have been posted but I don't remember the ending.

Thanks!

Nobody?

I know someone here tried it but I don’t know the output and can’t find the post.

• Premium Member

I don't see why you couldn't do it. Rotate the housing and try it. You will need to adjsut the cable routing to prevent binding or kinking when turning lock to lock.

Check throttle movement at both steering lock points left and right to make sure it rotates freely. 

Ed

• Like 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

On 2/1/2023 at 10:29 AM, Evill_Ed said:

I don't see why you couldn't do it. Rotate the housing and try it. You will need to adjsut the cable routing to prevent binding or kinking when turning lock to lock.

Check throttle movement at both steering lock points left and right to make sure it rotates freely. 

Ed

Thanks! Will try it soon.

BTW, I found the thread I was talking about and you are one of the main writer there.

Looks like posting a link don't work. The thread topic is "Throttle Cable Routing (Flexiglass BW)" and is under  section "MT-07 FZ-07 Racing / Track talk"

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Claude said:

BTW, I found the thread I was talking about and you are one of the main writer there.

Looks like posting a link don't work. The thread topic is "Throttle Cable Routing (Flexiglass BW)" and is under  section "MT-07 FZ-07 Racing / Track talk"

Yeah, I know I played around with the cable routing and throttle angle, I couldn't remember if if I tried them under the brake lever.

Ed

• Like 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Premium Member
23 hours ago, Claude said:

Make sure you have the bike running when you check lock-lock, it's a good indication of binding on the throttle cable going lock-lock. (The engine speed will change if it has a bind in it.) @Claude

• Like 3

2 hours ago, fzar said:

Make sure you have the bike running when you check lock-lock, it's a good indication of binding on the throttle cable going lock-lock. (The engine speed will change if it has a bind in it.) @Claude

Engine will be running for sure. For now, the bike is on my hydraulic table and held vertically by the front wheel chock so I can't turn the steering at all. Will do it when on the side stand.

This afternoon, I removed the brake lever and rotated the cables' housing clockwise. Not really promising as there were already some friction which held the throttle partially open. Someone really dedicated would probably remove the headlight and change the actual cable routing but I'm not sure I'll dig that deep. As I wrote, it's only for cosmetic purpose. I'll try later and decide by then. Thanks for every comment!

• Like 1

The headlight is onky held in place with 4 screws.  It's a 5 minute job, I'd say it's worth trying.  I'm curious about this too.  It's way too cold here (-40 with wind) to think about going out to the garage today.  My headlight is sitting on my desk in my office while I wait for some bulbs. 

Edited by Migyver
  • Like 1

It's more fun naked!!

27 minutes ago, Migyver said:

The headlight is onky held in place with 4 screws.  It's a 5 minute job, I'd say it's worth trying.  I'm curious about this too.  It's way too cold here (-40 with wind) to think about going out to the garage today.  My headlight is sitting on my desk in my office while I wait for some bulbs. 

Really? 5 minutes job? Could be worth trying then.

I’m new to FZ07 world and it is my first time ever wrenching on mine. That’s why I have so basic’n newbie questions. Here too it’s frightening cold today (-28°C / -19°F no wind factor considered...) so bless heated garage...

Edited by Claude

Yeah, the toughest part is the cables for the headlight and the aux lights.  Otherwise it's just 4 bolts.  R careful not to lose the washers that hold the plastic fairing.  These are pretty easy to wrench on, most things are accessible unlike a bike with a ton of fairings. 

I'm in New Brunswick, and my bike is not in a heated garage so no wrenching for me for the next few days.  I've been wanting to apply my rim strips for a bit but it's still too cold to be doing any of that.  I just swapped out me signals and did a trail tidy.  Looking forward to the upcoming riding season since I just picked up my '18 in August of '22.  Bike is still very new to me with less than 800km by me (a little less than 3k wall on the bike) 

It's more fun naked!!

• 3 weeks later...

I removed the headlight a few days ago (as I'm currently routing larger wires and relays to feed a higher wattage H4 bulb).

So, today, I gave a look at re-routing the throttle cables under the brake lever. I undid the cable from the throttle body to try a new routing but at the end, there was too much strain on the plastic housings holding the cables on the handlebar. I'm afraid those could brake over time.

I decided to install them back in OEM position and I'm finished with this idea. Too much possible trouble for only a slight cosmetic change.