The MT-07 Forum

Stalling issues Poll

Guest Ralph

Q: Has it stalled unexpectedly and you are sure it was not your fault?
A: Oh fer gawd's sake...the way this thing stalls ("dies_instantly_with_no_ warning_whatsoever" is more descriptive) how anyone can possibly think that it's [em]their[/em] [em]fault[/em] is beyond me!!

Haven't experienced that yet...hopefully not going to happen anytime soon either. Been riding it for ~1 month.

One problem though, if it does stall while in 1st gear, I CANNOT start it back up without going into neutral. No matter how hard I pull in the clutch while in 1st gear, it won't start (side stand is up by the way). Anyone experiencing this?

Haven't experienced that yet...hopefully not going to happen anytime soon either. Been riding it for ~1 month.  

Same answer here, will be on the side line for winter, then I will give you my vote :-/ 

• Premium Member

There were a couple weird stalls that didn't feel like they should have happened. That was the first couple thousand miles though, hasn't really happened in a long time now. (Around 6k)

Everything went braap.

• Global Moderator
One problem though, if it does stall while in 1st gear, I CANNOT start it back up without going into neutral. No matter how hard I pull in the clutch while in 1st gear, it won't start (side stand is up by the way). Anyone experiencing this?
Here is more info on what Ralph is talking about. 

Yep that pic makes things easier to understand, those connections could have some bearing on the stalling
as a Yam tech tells me when the clutch is pulled in the ignition timing is retarded by a few degrees.

I said yes but it was within the first 40km hasn't done it since and I have about 1300km on now.

2015 Matte Metallic Grey FZ-07

• Global Moderator

Like @ralph said, please keep it simple and short.
We have a extensive discussion thread here and I don't want to merge the topics because this is a poll. Thanks.

There were a couple weird stalls that didn't feel like they should have happened. That was the first couple thousand miles though, hasn't really happened in a long time now. (Around 6k)
 Same.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
crazycracka501

Now have 2,500 mi on her and never had a problem till two days ago when she suddenly died in the middle of a turn. I didn't stall it with too much clutch and lack of throttle, she just died. After that she seemed to take a little too long to fire once I hit the button for starter and even had to give the throttle a little bump to fire her up. Then yesterday I was at a gas station and saw this lady pull away from the gas pumps with her gas door opened, I pulled along side her and shut the door, let her know why I was next to her car and as I was about to take off, again it died. I took it to my mechanic and of corse it fired right up like 5 times in a row, he didn't take it out and ride it, just said "well, it runs just fine I don't know what you're concern is" AS IF I was making all of this up. >:(

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

When it does it you know, it just cuts dead, no chance to save it then as you say it will run
perfectly for what ever time then do it again, I can get mine to do it get it hot then at tick over
just ever so slightly raise the revs do that a good few times and if it's going to do it it will,
sometimes if you listen very carefully it will not actually cut but stumble as though the tick over is
to slow and it is not going fast enough when you touch the throttle to get over the firing point,
it may be something to do with the firing order as it as a longer gap between 2 of the firings and
the slow tick over seems to catch it out. The word learn is mentioned in the service book when dealing
with tick over and I wonder if it does in fact learn as time goes on, mine stopped doing it for 2000 miles
after the first 600 miles then started again after the new battery lead recall was done and I wonder
if this cleared the memory and now it's got to re learn the settings.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
When it does it you know, it just cuts dead, no chance to save it then as you say it will run perfectly for what ever time then do it again, I can get mine to do it get it hot then at tick over
just ever so slightly raise the revs do that a good few times and if it's going to do it it will,
sometimes if you listen very carefully it will not actually cut but stumble as though the tick over is
to slow and it is not going fast enough when you touch the throttle to get over the firing point,
it may be something to do with the firing order as it as a longer gap between 2 of the firings and
the slow tick over seems to catch it out. The word learn is mentioned in the service book when dealing
with tick over and I wonder if it does in fact learn as time goes on, mine stopped doing it for 2000 miles
after the first 600 miles then started again after the new battery lead recall was done and I wonder
if this cleared the memory and now it's got to re learn the settings.
Yea, as a matter of fact it does seem to be that exact type of thing where it doesn't always completely cut out but does stumble.  I guess the thing that confused me is when I would try to start it, it'd keep turning over but not firing until I gave it a little throttle which doesn't make sense to me because they are fuel injected.  It has been fine as of lately, maybe just a burp in the system, IDK.  It does still stumble a bit though.  Hoping a new EJK here soon will fix it as these California bikes are pretty choked out.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

Mine as stopped a few times but always fires back up at the first touch of the starter,
It's become second nature, I restart it without thinking, 07 version of 2 stroke twitch
were you have 2 fingers hovering over the clutch of 2 strokes in case they lock up.

I'm at 3300 miles and have pretty much learned how to avoid it, bit its still an annoyance. I'm almost 100% sure it has to do with the fuel cut on decel. I can duplicate the stalling by going to closed throttle and blipping it open at just the right timing while under the smaaaallest load with the clutch. It also creates an annoyance when slowly creepy to stop signs and blipping the throttle as there are blips that are powerful and blips that are WEAK! As if its going to die. I attribute this to the vtwin. Wouldn't happen on an inline. Sometimes, we have to wait 270 degrees of rotation before the next ignition. Inline 4 never waits more than 90 degrees. 270 degrees and fuel cut is just a bummer combo. But I do love my 50 mgp :) :)

Archived