The MT-07 Forum

New windscreen and rear hugger!!!

pgeldz

• Premium Member
Paulie, The bike looks great. Is the yamaha lower sub cowl color black or matte black? The yamaha USA website shows two colors black or matte black for the lower cowl.
Thank you Sir.  The lower sub cowl is more of a matte black.  I just went on to the Yamaha USA website, and although there is a button for black or matte black, there is only 1 part number listed. 
I don't believe they offer two versions, just the one, and it's more of a matte black.

Hope that helps.

- Paulie

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you happen to install the windscreen yet? I'm thinking about making the purchase but I want to see how it looks first before I drop that much cash! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
What belly pan is that? It looks great & I would like one for my bike?
It's the official Yamaha Accessory. 
:)

- Paulie

• Premium Member

Ok fellas (and ladies)...     :)

Finally got around to getting this thing installed!

Let me say this straight away...the DPM screen WILL NOT fit a US spec FZ-07 as-is.

The screen is meant to go over the turn signal housings on each side.  The European turn signal housings are much shorter than the US Spec ones, so the screen will not sit flush on our bikes.

There are 2 ways around this...

1)  Trim the sides of the screen higher, or cut them off altogether.

2)  Use offset bushings to lift the screen up a bit to clear the turn signal housings.

In my particular case, my Suburban Machinery handlebars are more forward than stock, and as such puts the controls closer to the screen. Even if I trim the sides of the screen, it'll still hit my brake line and prevent it from sitting flush.  Of course, I could notch it out to accommodate the brake line, but I decided to use the offset bushings instead just to see how it looks on the bike.  I used nylon spacer bushings bought at ACE hardware, and found the exact same stainless steel hardware it came with, only in longer lengths.  I used a 40mm length bolt for the rear, and a 35mm length bolt in the front.  Again, same as the DPM stuff, only longer to accommodate the nylon bushings.

You can see I outlined the edges of the screen and turn signal housing in Green and Red, respectively.  The Green edge of screen is supposed to go over the Red edge of the turn signal housing, but you can see here it's resting above it using the offset nylon spacer bushings...otherwise it won't fit.

RAIa0hal.jpg

A shot of the nylon bushings:

z12MHFZl.jpg

• Premium Member

So here's the comparisons...

DPM Race aluminum screen on the left, Rizoma aluminum screen on the right:

5ze85iol.jpg 

JUJa9vyl.jpg

k5Biif1l.jpg

vhm2xXLl.jpg

My thoughts?  Well, I haven't ridden with the Rizoma, but I rode with the DPM yesterday.  The DPM screen definitely works to keep wind off you, but keep in mind it's at more of a vertical angle because of the offset bushings.  If it was flush like it's supposed to be, it might have a different effect.

I'm really on the fence on this one, because there is a certain element of the DPM screen I like - it works well with the number plate design I've been toying with.  However, it's just too tall for my taste, aesthetically.  That, and because the sides don't go over the turn signal housing it's not as "clean" looking as depicted on the European bike.

I like the angle of the Rizoma better, but it mounts to brackets and doesn't sit flush with the headlight housing.

Honestly, I like the bike better without either screen.  I just wanted something to take up the space between the headlight housing and the instrument cluster to clean up the lines in that area, and to have a spot for my number plate design.

I think I'm going to experiment with the DPM screen and cut the sides so it's flush with the headlight housing, and reshape the top so it's not as tall and accommodates my brake line.  That should let it sit flush with the headlight housing like it's supposed to be, it'll be shorter, and it'll be at more of a swept back angle like the Rizoma - plus I can still do my number plate design on it.

It's not over yet folks!!!

- Paulie 

• Premium Member

As for the DPM rear hugger, I'm undecided if I like it or not.

Here's a shot with, and without.  It's not actually installed...it's just resting on the rear tire.

With:

meHCu20l.jpg

Without:

Yjp1YJUl.jpg

I just don't know if I like it or not.  I like the idea of the hugger...I mean, it's a perfect match for the screen and all, but I think it's a little too long.  It looks cleaner without.  Sometimes less is more.

Your thoughts?

- Paulie

meHCu20l.jpg

Yjp1YJUl.jpg

I just don't know if I like it or not.  I like the idea of the hugger...I mean, it's a perfect match for the screen and all, but I think it's a little too long.  It looks cleaner without.  Sometimes less is more.

Your thoughts?

Personally I love that extra length on the hugger. Would keep 95% more crap off the shock and looks fricken sweet! 10/10 would definitely buy that rear hugger. 

• Premium Member

Personally I love that extra length on the hugger. Would keep 95% more crap off the shock and looks fricken sweet! 10/10 would definitely buy that rear hugger.
Well, you may be in luck...it might be up for sale soon :) 
- Paulie

• Premium Member
Unrelated to the windscreen. But wondering what belly ban you have installed? I like the look of that I wouldn't mind one for my 07.
It's the official Yamaha Accessory. 

- Paulie

• Premium Member
What's the status on your tank body paint scheme job? Still looking for a place to do it or haven't gotten to that yet?
I'm still designing it :) 
I was going to go with the 50th Anniversary MotoGP theme in high-vis, but I've been experimenting with other designs and went back to the drawing board.  Also, now that I have the White tank plastics on the bike, I think I prefer a darker look overall.

I'm really going for a certain look.  A naked race bike per se.  There are two visual challenges to this approach...

1)  There's not a lot of surface area on the FZ-07 to work with.

2)  The proportions of the FZ-07 don't lend themselves to that race bike look.

Sure, the FZ-07 is bold, with its angular lines and all, but there is an element that is still missing - stance.

I'm been looking at hundreds of race bikes to see why they look like race bikes instead of bikes with just graphics on them, and came to the conclusion that it's the stance that makes them look aggressive.  Nearly all of the moto gp and world superbikes have their bodywork coming pretty close to the front tire, and many of their graphic schemes are at an upwards angle from the front fender to the rear tail section.  This gives them that aggressive nose down, tail up raked look, like they are always under braking or something.

The FZ-07 has a lot of space between the radiator and the front tire when viewed from the side profile, which makes it difficult to achieve that raked look.  The challenge is to visually take up this space, and make your eyes flow from the front bottom of the bike up towards the rear tail section.

It can be done a number of ways, either by installing items to take up that space, or use of certain colors (dark and light) to give the appearance of a raked look.  I'm going to do both.

I've already installed the lower belly pan which takes up some space, and the Yamaha billet aluminum radiator guards, which, because they are straight and not curved like the factory plastic radiator guards, take up quite a bit of that empty space.

Also, the lines of the FZ-07's tank plastics make it hard to design around.  Their angles don't exactly lend themselves to an upward sweeping motion...it's actually the exact opposite.  

Another challenge is that most bikes have a frame to break up the tank and the bodywork...not so with the 07...it just all runs together - in a downward fashion from the tank to under the seat.

None of this is helping my cause, lol.

I've been looking at other custom painted FZ-07's and to be honest I'm not a big fan of going against the angular lines of the bike, or painting over the big side air intake panels to achieve the look I want.

I think I've come up with a design that mitigates all these factors, whilst still maintaining that minimalist naked bike look.

Which brings me back to the windscreen and hugger...

The DPM windscreen, being a bit taller than the Rizoma, directs your eyes upward and makes the bike look top heavy.  The DPM hugger takes up a lot of that open space between the rear tire and the tail section and makes it look more rear biased, like its squatting, visually.

I want the bike to have the opposite look, visually, that raked look like it's under braking all the time, and these pieces don't achieve that look for me.

I've ordered the Ermax rear hugger because I think it's a good middle ground as far as length goes...not as long as the DPM, and not as short as stock.  If it turns out to be too overpowering visually, I'll just go with the stock hugger.

As far as the screen, I'm still on the fence.  I actually like the bike better without any screen, but I'd like to clean up the lines a bit and cover the handle bar risers, as they look out of place just sprouting up from the headlight area, lol.

The Rizoma is nice but it rests on brackets, and isn't flush with the headlight housing so I'm still undecided :)

See, I told you guys I was anal!!!  

At least I can explain the method to my madness, so you can see my thought processes :)

- Paulie

Man, yer gonna burst a vessel!

I'd not know where to start designing what you're going after.

Only thing I've done purely for looks was to buy some plastic plugs (meant normally to fill the end of a piece of 1.5" pipe) to fill that ugly hole in the frame. Really Yamaha, a 38mm plastic disc would not have broken the bank. Other than that, every dang one of my mods have and will be purely for function.

I'm still waiting on the new and improved version of the mRA Double Bubble screen as well as a SW Motech rack. I have a R&G radiator cover that's waiting for a bit of warm - hmm, maybe March

• Premium Member

Rick,

Didn't know there was a new and improved double bubble screen, as I didnt even think the original one made it to the states yet. Do have a pic or link to the new one?

Just about all of my other mods were done for function, as I'm trying to build a track worthy naked bike, so I'm already covered there :)

But id still like to achieve the overall look i have in my head :)

From what Twisted Throttle told me over the phone, it sounded like the screen itself hadn't been changed. But apparently there was an issue with the design of the mounts.
So that's been the hold-up.

Could have bought it back in September thru Twisted Throttle's subsidiary in Canada http://www.aviciouscycle.ca/mainpages/productList.aspx?brandid=33 if I was willing to double its price with the shipping. So if it was in Canada, within the same ownership, you'd think it shouldn't have taken another 1/2 year to get it here - if there weren't changes.

At Christmas, Twisted Throttle had a few, in gloss black only. Looks like they're all sold. I wanted the smoked one, so the wait for farkles (and warm weather - it's 10F here) continues. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-racingscreen-windscreen-nr-yamaha-fz-07-14

I think we're all looking forward seeing where yer headed with this.

• Premium Member

Rick,

I went back and forth with those two companies also trying to get some items from R&G. In the end, it was faster to just get them direct from R&G in the UK. That's weird though if they had it in Canada they couldn't get it here.

As for my bike, I'm looking forward to see where it's headed also, lol. I've decided not to use the DPM screen or hugger. I ordered the Ermax hugger and I'll see what that looks like on the bike, but I have no problems just keeping the stock hugger if I don't like the Ermax one.

I have some last resort ideas for a screen, and have some items on the way to see whats what, but if it doesn't work out, I'm pretty sure I'm just going to leave it naked, or use the Rizoma screen. I actually like the Rizoma screen a lot for what I want to accomplish, but the only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't sit flush with the headlight housing. It doesn't bother me enough not to use it, but if I end up going with it I might spend some time re-engineering some new brackets so it fits flush :)

Only other hard parts I'm changing is the rear sprocket, and tires. Gonna keep the same +2 teeth in the rear (45t), but I'm going with a Black GYTR aluminum sprocket vs the gold Renthal one I have now. I like the Black better, and also the cut outs are sorta rectangular vs the drilled hole look of the Renthal, which I think is a better match for the angular lines of the FZ. That, and the GYTR overall looks more "airy", which helps lighten up the visuals of the rear end to help achieve that nose down, tail up race look I'm going for.

As for tires, the Pirelli Rossi II's have been great, but after doing the California Superbike School with the BMW S1000RR's on Dunlop Q3's, I'm sold. The Pirelli Rossi II is more like 70% street, 30% track. The Dunlop Q3's are more like 50% street, 50% track - and get this, the are cheaper than the Pirelli Rossi II's!

Guest August BB

Ermax probably has the best aftermarket hugger imo for one reason, it follows the curvature of the tire. I think that's my biggest beef with all the other ones. The straight angle is off-putting.

I'm not a fan of windscreens, I wish someone would make a key protector screen. Basically a small piece that mounts on like a windscreen but is there only to protect the key. I would definitely buy that.

Ermax probably has the best aftermarket hugger imo for one reason, it follows the curvature of the tire. I think that's my biggest beef with all the other ones. The straight angle is off-putting. 
I'm not a fan of windscreens, I wish someone would make a key protector screen. Basically a small piece that mounts on like a windscreen but is there only to protect the key. I would definitely buy that.
That Ermax hugger is pretty nice - that it can be had color matched at a moderate extra $ is a bonus.  
 After putting Barkbuster Storms on mine, from the front, it now looks like I've forgotten to put the screen back on. Most of these screens are not really big enough to offer much more wind protection than the tank bag I use (though they do as they are further forward) . But a screen will protect the gauge cluster and help keep water and dirt out of that key switch. As for the placement of that key, I'm way happier with it there than in the front of the tank ( like many bikes (Kaw, KTM etc. seem to have these days)  where it would get in the way of using any tankbag. 

• Premium Member

^ this.

Well, I took of the DPM screen and re-installed the Rizoma. Got it outside, and from the side it's not bad at all, but from the front, well, I just don't like it. Took it off and went back to stock.

I have two more things to try but if I don't like those, I'll leave it naked (like it should be).

- Paulie

What's the status on your tank body paint scheme job? Still looking for a place to do it or haven't gotten to that yet?
I'm still designing it :) 
I was going to go with the 50th Anniversary MotoGP theme in high-vis, but I've been experimenting with other designs and went back to the drawing board.  Also, now that I have the White tank plastics on the bike, I think I prefer a darker look overall.

I'm really going for a certain look.  A naked race bike per se.  There are two visual challenges to this approach...

1)  There's not a lot of surface area on the FZ-07 to work with.

2)  The proportions of the FZ-07 don't lend themselves to that race bike look.

Sure, the FZ-07 is bold, with its angular lines and all, but there is an element that is still missing - stance.

I'm been looking at hundreds of race bikes to see why they look like race bikes instead of bikes with just graphics on them, and came to the conclusion that it's the stance that makes them look aggressive.  Nearly all of the moto gp and world superbikes have their bodywork coming pretty close to the front tire, and many of their graphic schemes are at an upwards angle from the front fender to the rear tail section.  This gives them that aggressive nose down, tail up raked look, like they are always under braking or something.

The FZ-07 has a lot of space between the radiator and the front tire when viewed from the side profile, which makes it difficult to achieve that raked look.  The challenge is to visually take up this space, and make your eyes flow from the front bottom of the bike up towards the rear tail section.

It can be done a number of ways, either by installing items to take up that space, or use of certain colors (dark and light) to give the appearance of a raked look.  I'm going to do both.

I've already installed the lower belly pan which takes up some space, and the Yamaha billet aluminum radiator guards, which, because they are straight and not curved like the factory plastic radiator guards, take up quite a bit of that empty space.

Also, the lines of the FZ-07's tank plastics make it hard to design around.  Their angles don't exactly lend themselves to an upward sweeping motion...it's actually the exact opposite.  

Another challenge is that most bikes have a frame to break up the tank and the bodywork...not so with the 07...it just all runs together - in a downward fashion from the tank to under the seat.

None of this is helping my cause, lol.

I've been looking at other custom painted FZ-07's and to be honest I'm not a big fan of going against the angular lines of the bike, or painting over the big side air intake panels to achieve the look I want.

I think I've come up with a design that mitigates all these factors, whilst still maintaining that minimalist naked bike look.

Which brings me back to the windscreen and hugger...

The DPM windscreen, being a bit taller than the Rizoma, directs your eyes upward and makes the bike look top heavy.  The DPM hugger takes up a lot of that open space between the rear tire and the tail section and makes it look more rear biased, like its squatting, visually.

I want the bike to have the opposite look, visually, that raked look like it's under braking all the time, and these pieces don't achieve that look for me.

I've ordered the Ermax rear hugger because I think it's a good middle ground as far as length goes...not as long as the DPM, and not as short as stock.  If it turns out to be too overpowering visually, I'll just go with the stock hugger.

As far as the screen, I'm still on the fence.  I actually like the bike better without any screen, but I'd like to clean up the lines a bit and cover the handle bar risers, as they look out of place just sprouting up from the headlight area, lol.

The Rizoma is nice but it rests on brackets, and isn't flush with the headlight housing so I'm still undecided :)

See, I told you guys I was anal!!!  

At least I can explain the method to my madness, so you can see my thought processes :)

- Paulie

Drop an r6 front, thats what im saving up for, theres a red 07 that has it

2015 Pearl White FZ-07
"such a torky lil guy"

Archived