The MT-07 Forum

New windscreen and rear hugger!!!

pgeldz

• Premium Member
I don't have the time or the skills to do all of that, so I guess I'll just wait for someone to start making a plastic version for our bikes. 
ben

THis one looks pretty nice. Can even get it color matched for some extra coin. On my white one, the black unpainted version would probably be fine as much of the black plastic is matte anyway. But the white one sure looks tempting http://www.motomachines.com/Ermax-Rear-Hugger-for-Yamaha-FZ-07_p_5023.html

And they are in the States
I agree Rick, the Ermax one does look pretty good.  Probably the best out of all the plastic ones I've seen so far... 
Also, Motomachines were great to deal with.  I was working with them in conjunction with Ermax France to get the undertail out to me :)

- Paulie

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been waiting (and waiting) for Twisted Throttle to get the other 2 farkles I intend to bolt up. Maybe I'll do that white one sooner than later. It really does complete the color scheme

• Premium Member

Guess what just showed up? Yep, the DPM windscreen and hugger!!! 5 days after I ordered, which is exactly when they said it would arrive. When I saw the box, I was like...there is no way both parts are in there, surely the screen is missing. Nope, it's all there, and although I didn't take it out of the bubble wrap, the screen seems to be about the same size as the Rizoma, which is nice cause in the studio pics it seems taller. I'll take a bunch of pics this weekend of both when I install it :)

- Paulie

Was looking more carefully at the picts of a few different huggers for this bike. Looks like because of the way the shock lies and where the linkage is, none of these units can keep spray coming from the back wheel and getting to either. That's kinda disappointing. It would be nice to be able to keep all those bits clean. The one I put on m Futura extends well down low and does a really nice job of keeping road spooge off of those linkage pivots.

Will be interested in your take on this when you get yours bolted up.

• Premium Member
Was looking more carefully at the picts of a few different huggers for this bike. Looks like because of the way the shock lies and where the linkage is, none of these units can keep spray coming from the back wheel and getting to either. That's kinda disappointing. It would be nice to be able to keep all those bits clean. The one I put on m Futura extends well down low and does a really nice job of keeping road spooge off of those linkage pivots.  
Will be interested in your take on this when you get yours bolted up.
Rick, 
I just finished translating the instructions from Italian and it seems your wishes have come true.  The DPM hugger actually fits on top of the stock hugger, so all factory weatherproofing is retained.  It mounts via 4 bolts, three of which go through the stock hugger/chain guard, and the 4th is through the stock brake line bracket mount on the right side of the swingarm.

I didn't install it yet, or the windscreen for that matter because it's just too cold outside.  I got everything ready (I'm doing a bunch more than just the windscreen and hugger), took the bike out of the garage etc., and by the time I got a wrench in my hand I couldn't feel my fingers!  Lol!  I'm going to wait until a warmer day...

In the meantime tho, I DID snap a few pics to prove I actually still have an FZ-07, haha.  That, and a lot of people have been asking, lol.  It was all apart to do a bunch of work, and although it's still not 100% back together yet (tank plastics are off), at least its starting to like a motorcycle again :)

FJ1zrCu.jpg

This is with the Rizoma Black Anodized Aluminum Screen:

NaqE50a.jpg

scCLGft.jpg

OVEDrdJ.jpg

YKcRn4X.jpg

SKcgPJn.jpg

8Q1XMa3.jpg

The bike is mostly complete except for a bunch of detail work and I still have to decide on a graphics theme, but all the major components are in place (with the exception of the tank plastics, DPM windscreen, and hugger).  I'll do a complete build thread/mod list when it's finally finished, but these pics should give a pretty good idea of what I've been up to for the last few months...

See, I told y'all I've been busy!!!

:)

- Paulie

Wow, you've been busy. The bars and rear sets will truly change the character of that bike.

Mounting that hugger will be snap and help keep the underside of the bike clean. But if you look between the back wheel and the swing arm, you'll see my concern. The lower shock mount and some of the linkage are plainly visible from that perspective. I suspect none of the huggers available for this bike will cover that hole.

I'm thinking a very thin sheet of plastic ( like a piece of X-ray film - now that everything is digital) attached (RTV silicone?) to the inside of the OE hugger bit and then to the back of the swinger will go a long way toward keeping those bearings clean. It'll be sorta ugly, but only if you get down there and look for it.

• Premium Member
Wow, you've been busy. The bars and rear sets will truly change the character of that bike.  
Mounting that hugger will be snap and help keep the underside of the bike clean. But if you look between the back wheel and the swing arm, you'll see my concern. The lower shock mount and some of the linkage are plainly visible from that perspective. I suspect none of the huggers available for this bike will cover that hole.

I'm thinking a very thin sheet of plastic ( like a piece of X-ray film - now that everything is digital) attached (RTV silicone?) to the inside of the OE hugger bit and then to the back of the swinger will go a long way toward keeping those bearings clean. It'll be sorta ugly, but only if you get down there and look for it.
Yeah, the bars and rearsets made a huge difference.  They've been on there for quite a while actually and I've put them through their paces already on the street, and on the track.  Transforms the bike like you wouldn't believe.  It's aggressive enough to make a huge difference in the way the bike performs, but not enough to be uncomfortable.  Did multiple 3 hour rides and no wrist pain, no back pain, no discomfort...just huge smiles from its new "character" as you put it :) 
After looking at that area you mentioned by the pivot point on the rear shock, I see what you mean now.  Not sure if anyone makes a hugger yet that addresses it, but I don't normally ride in inclement weather unless I get caught in it, so I'm likely not to be bothered by it.

kev1360 - The lower cowl is the official Yamaha accessory piece.

I hope for warmer days soon so I can get the rest of this thing back together and start working on my graphics theme.  I thought I had it all figured out with my Hi Vis take on the 50th Anniversary Yamaha livery, but I've been exploring other ideas and now I'm undecided, lol.

- Paulie

Diggin' that bike, Paulie! Nicely done sir!

I probably missed it in some other thread, but what bars and rearsets are you running? Are those bars made by Suburban Machinery in Ohio? They look similar to bars a buddy used to have on an SV650. I'm really digging the stance and look now. Would you suggest this combo with a stock suspension (I don't plan on taking it to the track often).

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Premium Member

Yes, the bars are from Suburban Machinery, and the rearsets are a Yamaha UK official accessory by Gilles Tooling.

I had the Suburban Machinery bars for my SV650 back in the day and they were awesome. It was set up as an aggressive street/occasional track bike and the SM bars were the perfect blend of comfort, style, and riding position for the type of use I wanted, without going to clip ons.

I contacted Terry at SM to see if he would make bars for the FZ-07, and sadly, they are not producing bars for any new bikes at this time. He is transition to making products for the Military, and the only bars he will continue to produce are his best sellers, namely the SV650, and a few others.

All of his bars are basically the same style, but tweaked slightly to fit different bikes and clear fairings, tank, bodywork,etc. We've been back and forth over this for weeks, and after describing the bike to him and what I wanted, he suggested a few bars he had in stock to try out. The end result was the Ducati M1 bar. It was a PERFECT fit. No modifications needed at all, and I have full steering lock to lock without any clearance issues. I told him if that was one of the bars he would continue to keep in his inventory, he could re-brand it as an FZ-07 bar without any issue - it fit that good.

Of course the bar is more forward and much lower than the stock bars, but what's nice is that it's exactly 1 inch wider grip to grip, so a half inch wider on each side. That's really important because usually, when you change to clip-ons they're narrower, so you loose leverage making slow speed turning more difficult.

The SM bars being a half inch wider on each side combat this, and give you stock-like leverage (meaning effortless) ability in all situations. They put you in a much better riding position as well, giving you some much needed weight over the front tire which increases grip, feel, and confidence.

Aesthetically, they are hands down the best (to me anyway, lol). The angular lines work perfect with the FZ-07, and the angles of the bars are parallel with the angle at the top of the instrument cluster. They look like they were made for it, as the cluster just sits perfectly in the center.

- Paulie

I was looking for a more upright ride position from what I've been doing for the last 30 years, but being fairly short, I find these OE bars to be just a tad high and the flat angle sorta hurts my wrists. Where my Futura's bars are just a tad too low and far forward to be perfect, the angle never caused wrist discomfort.

Though I'm not actually looking for extra width( the stock ones already have that wheel barrow feel for me) those bars might be a perfect answer for me as well.

NIce find.

• Premium Member

Rick,

You will not notice the extra half inch of width to be honest. The bars just feel perfect :)

- Paulie

Paulie,
Do you have a link for those handle bars? I was thinking about making the cafe racer look on my bike but I knew conventional clip ons would not work. Thanks!
Allan

• Premium Member
Paulie, Do you have a link for those handle bars? I was thinking about making the cafe racer look on my bike but I knew conventional clip ons would not work. Thanks!
Allan
http://www.suburban-machinery.com/duchypmoto.html 
There are two versions...the M3 pictured on the White bike, and the original M1 bar on the Black bike.  The M1 bar on the Black bike is the one you want.

- Paulie

Paulie, Do you have a link for those handle bars? I was thinking about making the cafe racer look on my bike but I knew conventional clip ons would not work. Thanks!
Allan
http://www.suburban-machinery.com/duchypmoto.html 
There are two versions...the M3 pictured on the White bike, and the original M1 bar on the Black bike.  The M1 bar on the Black bike is the one you want.

- Paulie
Thanks! Is it just plug and play? I also see you don't have the plastic tank panels, so would it still work with all those installed?

• Premium Member

Plug and play my friend. Zero modification needed. The holes drilled in them are for the Ducati tho, but all of them are covered except one by the brake reservoir, and even that one is half covered.

It's been pretty cold here, so I'm not sure when I'll have everything back together to show you detailed pics, but the bars don't interfere with anything. At full lock, they sit in line with and in-between where the tank plastic meets the air intake black textured piece. It looks like a perfect match. Even when my hands are on on the grips at full lock, there is no interference.

- Paulie

Plug and play my friend. Zero modification needed. The holes drilled in them are for the Ducati tho, but all of them are covered except one by the brake reservoir, and even that one is half covered.  
It's been pretty cold here, so I'm not sure when I'll have everything back together to show you detailed pics, but the bars don't interfere with anything. At full lock, they sit in line with and in-between where the tank plastic meets the air intake black textured piece. It looks like a perfect match. Even when my hands are on on the grips at full lock, there is no interference.

- Paulie
So you have tried them with the plastics on? I don't need pictures, just a conformation that they indeed will not hit the plastics at full lock. I will take your word for it. I just know that those air intakes sit wayyyy far out. I just would be worried I wouldn't be able to turn the bars all the way without hitting my tank.

• Premium Member

Yes, I've had the bars on with the plastics and it does not touch at all at full lock. Been riding like that for a while. The bikes been down for other stuff...

- Paulie

Thanks Paulie. One last question, how did you get the left grip off? If it is any thing like my last bike, it is glued on there and I don't want to have to cut it off.. I really like these bars and I think I am going to get them by summers end. Ok I lied. Another question, how much forward is the angle that you sit at? Is it full super-sport? Or just a slightly more aggressive forward lean? Thank you!

If you have an air compressor, sometimes you can stick a nozzle between the bar and the grip and get enough air pressure in there to inflate the grip just enough to aide in its removal. . Contact cleaners can help soften whatever glue they used as well w/o doing much harm to plastics and even paint - though I'd still cover stuff.

like this  

yeah, it won't be that easy, but it does work, even with grips that are open for bar ends

You da man, Paulie! Great job in the research and find! Love the look and I see myself getting these when it's time. Kudos!

• Premium Member

I changed the grips to R6 grips, so I wasn't too worried about how they came off :)

Having said that, I'm not actually sure how the shop did it. I did a bunch of work myself, but the bars, grips, levers, etc. were done when the bike went in for the suspension work.

As far as the riding position, I have a good picture of me sitting on it before, so when it gets warmer out I'll take an "after" pic. Keep in mind I have the rearsets also in the highest, most rearward position so that could change things too.

It's aggressive for sure but not full on super-sport, but that's highly subjective so your mileage may vary. The bars are in line (parallel) with the clamps, and about 3 inches more forward? I never really measured it so I can't say for sure. What I can say it that it puts you in the perfect position for more sport orientated riding, without feeling like your on a crotch rocket, and without giving up the stock like toss-ability as far as feel and leverage goes.

- Paulie

What I can say it that it puts you in the perfect position for more sport orientated riding, without feeling like your on a crotch rocket, and without giving up the stock like toss-ability as far as feel and leverage goes. 

- Paulie
That's exactly what I'm looking for.  

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Paulie,
The bike looks great. Is the yamaha lower sub cowl color black or matte black? The yamaha USA website shows two colors black or matte black for the lower cowl.

Archived