The MT-07 Forum

New windscreen and rear hugger!!!

pgeldz

• Premium Member

Not one day after installing the Matte Black Aluminum screen from Rizoma (which I think is the nicest screen out there), I see this:

http://www.deprettomoto.com/en/motorcycle-accessories/race/yamaha/mt07/1615/

and they have a matching hugger as well:

http://www.deprettomoto.com/en/motorcycle-accessories/race/yamaha/mt07/1616/

I think I like this look a little better.  We'll see.  Just ordered both!

:)

- Paulie

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

There's only a few windscreens I can stand. This one looks good. I'd be interested in seeing a full bike shot when they arrive.

That is pretty sweet, the best looking screen so far. I'd prefer non-metal, and trim the front tip a bit, but still sweet.

• Premium Member

I'll keep everyone updated for sure...

To be honest, I actually like the bike naked, and most of the screens available just don't do it for me at all.

Having said that, I do think the front of the FZ-07 could be cleaned up a bit, as the tall cluster, wiring, and cables coming out of the ignition switch area tend to clutter the front end a little too much for my taste. That, and I'm going to track this bike quite a bit, so maybe it'll help slightly, and it makes it easier to clean the bugs off that area :)

I thought the Rizoma screen looked the best as it minimized the cardinal hat look, but it's still raised off the headlight plastic and just far enough back that it's not flush with the leading edge of the headlight housing, making it look a little bit like an after thought.

The DPM screen sorta solves this problem by sitting flush with the leading edge and going around the headlight housing and around the turn signals, giving it a slightly cleaner look - plus the angular lines seem to go with the styling better, at least in the studio pics. Plus, the rear hugger looks like a great match. Funny, cause I didn't even want a rear hugger until I saw these items! lol

I'll take before and after pics with and without both screens so you can judge for yourself. In the DPM studio pics, the instrument cluster seems to be gone, so we'll see how it looks in real life with everything in place.

Keep in mind though my bars are way different than stock, so that could skew the look as well (for the better I think)

- Paulie

I'll keep everyone updated for sure... 
To be honest, I actually like the bike naked, and most of the screens available just don't do it for me at all.

Having said that, I do think the front of the FZ-07 could be cleaned up a bit, as the tall cluster, wiring, and cables coming out of the ignition switch area tend to clutter the front end a little too much for my taste. That, and I'm going to track this bike quite a bit, so maybe it'll help slightly, and it makes it easier to clean the bugs off that area :)

I thought the Rizoma screen looked the best as it minimized the cardinal hat look, but it's still raised off the headlight plastic and just far enough back that it's not flush with the leading edge of the headlight housing, making it look a little bit like an after thought.

The DPM screen sorta solves this problem by sitting flush with the leading edge and going around the headlight housing and around the turn signals, giving it a slightly cleaner look - plus the angular lines seem to go with the styling better, at least in the studio pics. Plus, the rear hugger looks like a great match. Funny, cause I didn't even want a rear hugger until I saw these items! lol

I'll take before and after pics with and without both screens so you can judge for yourself. In the DPM studio pics, the instrument cluster seems to be gone, so we'll see how it looks in real life with everything in place.

Keep in mind though my bars are way different than stock, so that could skew the look as well (for the better I think)

- Paulie

Looking forward to viewing the pics of your bike after you install your DPM screen with the instrument cluster and everything in place. Looks like the screen would block my SUNPASS transponder on the headlight cover (part no. 1WS-84396-00-00) but maybe I can reposition the transponder to my RAM GPS mount. Nice looking windscreen.   

• Premium Member

What was your total cost on these DMP beauties? I am coming up with about $180 each. Is my conversion right? That seems a bit on the high side for a windscreen and a huger. It may be worth it though since aluminum construction is better than plastic or plexiglass.

• Premium Member

Well, it's definitely not cost effective that's for sure. Just looked at my bank statement and it came to $492.44 for everything, included VAT and air express shipping direct from Italy to the US. So yeah, pretty ridiculous honestly, but I just HAD to have them to see what they're gonna look like :)

We'll see soon enough. And DFDFF, I don't think they are available in the US...I got mine direct from DPM. Seems like that has been the trend with this build for me, as many of the parts I ended up with came from overseas.

Hope it was worth it...time will tell :)

The good thing is I will have a bunch of new items for sale at reasonable prices after this build is completed, as I already have a bunch of items I ended up not using...

- Paulie

I have already been toying with the idea of making a hugger like that out of Kydex. Just need a free weekend and some materials to play it out in my mind.

ben

I've traded emails with these guys a couple times, responded very quickly and informative. This is what they sent for just the screen.

It would be approx 176$ plus shipment (approx 50$) and VAT (another 50$), based on a 1,24€/$ change rate.

• Premium Member
I've traded emails with these guys a couple times, responded very quickly and informative. This is what they sent for just the screen. 
It would be approx 176$ plus shipment (approx 50$) and VAT (another 50$), based on a 1,24€/$ change rate.
Yeah, as I mentioned, it's not cost effective at all, but hopefully it'll be worth it :) 
DPM has been awesome to deal with.  They responded to every e-mail I've sent within 24 hours.

They have some really nice radiator side covers for the MT-09, but when I asked them if they were going to produce something similar for the 07 they said it wasn't possible due to technical problems.  It's a shame, cause the ones for the 09 look like the Billet Yamaha ones for the 07, albeit slightly different.

- Paulie

I'm still waiting for the MRA double bubble to show up at Twisted Throttle. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-racingscreen-windscreen-nr-yamaha-fz-07-14 Tha Hugger is pretty darn nice looking.

Puig (dunno the price) and this place http://www.powerbronzeusa.com/19576359/818253/831904/HUGGER---YAMAHA-,MT-07,-14-,FZ-07,-14---CARBON-LOOK-SILVER-MESH.item make one to fit. Even one made of real CF should be cheaper. There's also one from Pyramid that also replaces the chain guard, but it's a bit priocey.

But in general, it's a really nice looking - and practical addition. I have an NWS hugger on my Futura and it's really helped keep spooge from the shock and linkage.

I think this is NWS - a bit over the tiop style wise, but it'll sure work http://www.skidmarx.co.uk/yamaha/90233-yamaha-mt-07-rear-hugger-grp.html

Yep, anodized alloy. Those huggers all take a bit of a beating with the back wheel throwing bits of dirt at them. As nice (and pricey) as that one is, I think I'd rather have black ABS. It would be lighter (it's important to keep unsprung weight down) and if the color is all the way thru, chips at the leading edge won't show as much as bright aluminum showing thru black anodizing. .

My attempt to make a rear hugger from Kydex was a failure. I was really bummed about it. Problem is too large of an area to form by hand before the Kydex cools while trying to use the stock hugger as a form. To do it proper I'd have to take a mold of the stock hugger and make a form for production. That way I could press the Kydex against the form for a true and uniform shape.

I don't have the time or the skills to do all of that, so I guess I'll just wait for someone to start making a plastic version for our bikes.

ben

I don't have the time or the skills to do all of that, so I guess I'll just wait for someone to start making a plastic version for our bikes.

ben

THis one looks pretty nice. Can even get it color matched for some extra coin. On my white one, the black unpainted version would probably be fine as much of the black plastic is matte anyway. But the white one sure looks tempting http://www.motomachines.com/Ermax-Rear-Hugger-for-Yamaha-FZ-07_p_5023.html

And they are in the States

Archived