The MT-07 Forum

Risers? Cable Slack?

roadkill0000

Hey all!

2017 - Fz07

Id like to add some handlebar risers to my bike, however after some research it looks like there is no slack available in the stock wire harness... im not sure. That would be really disappointing...

I was looking at these SW Mototech adjustable 28mm risers.

If anyone knows which riser brand I can get away with adding. Id like to just raise them diagnal up and towards the rider. 1" or so.. hopefully theres a simple solution.. I will settle with any amount of rise thou. Anything would help over stock for me ATM.

Thank you!

Screenshot_20221220_074821_Chrome.jpg

The wiring will probably be fine but the clutch cable will be tight. I ran PeoTaper ADV High bars on my '16 and the 7/8 to 1 1/8 adapter alone was probably about the same amount of height as the picture you posted. The bars I mentioned were higher and wider than stock but a good bit and I was able to fiddle enough slack to make everything work out just fine. 

There's a guide bracket on the right hand side of the engine near the cylinder head that keeps the clutch cable from rubbing the valve cover. If you let the cable out of that bracket it will give you a good amount of slack. The cable will scuff up the valve cover, but I rode 30,000 ish miles that way with no signs of damage to the outer jacket of the clutch cable itself. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, shinyribs said:

...The cable will scuff up the valve cover, but I rode 30,000 ish miles that way with no signs of damage to the outer jacket of the clutch cable itself. 

Personnally, I would wrap a short section of rubber or foam tube on the clutch cable over the area that touches the valve cover. Could be held with small tie-wraps or tape.

Edited by Claude

There's already an additional rubber sleeve over the jacket of the cable to prevent it chaffing against the mount, the mount just holds it from sitting on the valve cover. 

• Like 1

Huh... so it is possible...

Thank you guys very much for the response! Im going to take the plunge on this riser and hope for the best. Crossing my fingers.

• Like 1