The MT-07 Forum

Changing my stock Front ABS brake hose into Steel Braided hose

Shyan

Plan to upgrade my brake hose from stock rubber into Steel Braided hose in my 2020's MT07..  The stock configuration for the bottom end brake hose set up are from ABS pump outlet to left caliper then another hose from left caliper to right caliper... I wonder is it possible to change the stock configuration into 2 hose running from ABS pump outlet into left and right caliper..?  Anyone done it before and any idea on the length of the brake hose? Thanks..

I mentioned this in another thread, where the biggest con of SS lines is that it can only bend in one plane.  Unlike rubber lines, this would limit its plumb route.  If you got a spare SS line laying around,  play with its bend characteristic, then you'll know what I mean.  And that is where it will complicate things.  Not saying it's impossible, because I haven't looked at the ABS routing yet.

Then you'll have to decide to run either the 2 line double banjo, 3 line "T" junction, or 4 line "h" junction.  Whichever will compensate best for the single plane bend of the SS line.

If it was me and keeping the ABS, save myself the grief and get the ready made kit. 

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

I bought the Spiegler kit with the stock Routing and had no issues installing then.  I do not have ABS so I am sure that made it easier.  Personally I would not experiment with different routines with ABS.  That is not something you want not working correctly. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sweetscience said:

I mentioned this in another thread, where the biggest con of SS lines is that it can only bend in one plane.  Unlike rubber lines, this would limit its plumb route.  If you got a spare SS line laying around,  play with its bend characteristic, then you'll know what I mean.  And that is where it will complicate things.  Not saying it's impossible, because I haven't looked at the ABS routing yet.

Then you'll have to decide to run either the 2 line double banjo, 3 line "T" junction, or 4 line "h" junction.  Whichever will compensate best for the single plane bend of the SS line.

If it was me and keeping the ABS, save myself the grief and get the ready made kit. 

I think i will decide to run 2 line double banjo...just I need to confirm again the length to avoid left line is fine... Abs module comes from right front section of the bike and should not have any problem to right caliper but left caliper is the one that i am concern...

• Premium Member

I also used the appropriate Spiegler  kit for my ABS equipped  2017 without issue, but I did choose to use stock routing.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Global Moderator

Your question about running twin lines out of the abs, each line dedicated to a caliper was considered but after the prototype of my Brembo RCS17 proved all the one finger brake power I could want, it was not necessary.

Go to my  Brembo RCS17 

Look how I cleaned everything up in a straight forward way. It's not that I don't prefer each caliper having a dedicated line - it just is not necessary to achieve 1 finger howling from the front tire.

From what I've read, seen, and experienced now the only value to a double line down on each side of the fender is being able to pull the front wheel hanging the calipers to either side.  The jumper line setup can be a bit of a problem with the short line attached to the fender.   A definite advantage for someone racing or doing a fair number of track days as opposed to the rider who only has the front wheel off when putting on new tires.  The disadvantage to a double line would be in trying to route two lines where only one was used before when installing the two lines.  In other words, there is no advantage in braking power with either setup, contrary to any myths about it.   

Science of fluid power - hydraulics - proves that the actual braking power will be identical with both the twin line setup and the single line with jumper.  If you generate 100 psi at the lever/master cylinder you have 100 psi over every surface of the caliper pistons, the calipers and the inside the lines.  The gain is in the stiffer lines, no flex as in the OEM rubber type lines. Remember that 100 psi on every surface?  It includes the walls of the brake lines.    

Look at the whole anti-dive set up, same applies inside it, no braking pressure should be lost until the ABS system activates to reduce pressure.

So you either do what you want to do or what will fit.  Nice to know there is no difference to either routing method.  You lose no braking pressure to either caliper.    

Edited by klx678
  • Like 1

Enduranceracing

You can do it, but you will need to order a custom line from Spiegler. I just did this on my Ducati Multistrada in order to use different calipers that have a different angle where the banjo bolts go. I say Spiegler is the only choice because they make them with banjo fittings that are adjustable, you can rotate the ends to makes the install perfect.

They call it the type 950. I have one line running out of my ABS Pump and down to the left caliper just like it was stock, but instead there is a T-junction in the line that runs over to the right caliper. The guy on the phone at Spiegler even said that using a saddle line is cheaper and makes no difference in performance, but I wanted the T-junction for aesthetic and service reasons.

I chose to measure what seemed like 10,000 times and I also mocked up the lines with electrical wire I had laying around (you could use string)

Watch this video. He chose to replicate the stock saddle line setup, but I went with the type 950 line.

20221216_130356_HDR.jpg

Edited by Enduranceracing

• Global Moderator
7 hours ago, klx678 said:

....The actual braking power will be identical with both the twin line setup and the single line with jumper...

I think it's myth too, but many ujm bikes from way back would get this religion - steel lines, a double banjo at the master cylinder with 2 lines each dedicated to a caliper. It was just the way cool was done.

If you run a single line from master to ABS, then want to pull twin lines off the ABS out side, it's just headache routing & difficulties @klx678 pointed out.

But you can go steel, and do what has benefit - route the ABS out line down to the RIGHT caliper along with the ABS sensor wire, then steel over the fender to the left caliper. You can re-purpose the OEM brackets. Clean, and still cool because you did it. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just get my setup. Both are Galfer brake hose. In Malaysia there are dealers can manufacture the length based on your requirement. After changing the setup the brake feel is better.

322384622_694735305599290_8141534485082398602_n.thumb.jpg.d0b2337bbdd06fcb766fc02dc77bc526.jpg322404378_856703245562299_5483177403288578371_n.thumb.jpg.9e23e70afe40000ebc8841ed54f46729.jpg323426107_574635990785070_2078825953602665011_n.thumb.jpg.ac12b9ae9da0387529caf495a65f551a.jpg

• Like 2