The MT-07 Forum

ECU Flash bike with fabric warranty

kronansiberia

kronansiberia

Hi!

Do you guys recommend flashing the ECU when still haveing warranty from Yamaha? I just bought an ecu flash cuz I heard alot of people recommend it, I am new in the bike world and tried to figure it out without any success.

Also is it possible if something happends that I can reset the CPU to make it unseen it been flashed?

Thanks

Edited by kronansiberia

I believe warranty coverage is on the bike in the condition you bought (if you bought it from Yamaha, the warranty applies to the bone-stock bike). Meaning if you tamper with the ECU, Yamaha could void deny your warranty if they found that the ECU tune was the direct cause of failure. I would backup your stock ECU. There is a thread on the FZ09 forum about this.

fz09_org_profile.png?1

Hey guys got some questions that I couldn't find through Google. I don't want to void my extended warranty, the...

Edited by tomlichu

nozeitgeist1800
22 hours ago, kronansiberia said:

Hi!

Do you guys recommend flashing the ECU when still haveing warranty from Yamaha? I just bought an ecu flash cuz I heard alot of people recommend it, I am new in the bike world and tried to figure it out without any success.

Also is it possible if something happends that I can reset the CPU to make it unseen it been flashed?

Thanks

i dont know that i would recommend trying to figure it out on your own, the ftecu software is confusing as f@#k, especially if you arent mechanically inclined (like me). have 2wdw set u up with a flash file, it's cheaper since they dont have to buy a license for you, and they can just email you the custom map so you install it, no waiting in the mail. comes with the added benefit of a complimentary upgraded map if you end up getting an activetune.

11 hours ago, tomlichu said:

I believe warranty coverage is on the bike in the condition you bought (if you bought it from Yamaha, the warranty applies to the bone-stock bike). Meaning if you tamper with the ECU, Yamaha could void deny your warranty if they found that the ECU tune was the direct cause of failure. I would backup your stock ECU. There is a thread on the FZ09 forum about this.

fz09_org_profile.png?1

Hey guys got some questions that I couldn't find through Google. I don't want to void my extended warranty, the...

please correct me if im wrong, im prone to misunderstanding things, but there is a bit of gray area, i believe, in the states as far as whether something like this would void the warranty effectively. they can say that it voids the warranty to touch the ecu, but if that contradicts what 'right to repair' laws say, it doesnt matter if yamaha doesnt want to warranty it or not, theyll be required to or face massive fines. apple is facing a huge amount of issues for this, although they seem to be content to just pay the fines, but i dont think yamaha is as profitable as apple that they could do the same.  john deere tractors/farm equipment recently have had an issue with this specific topic, in regards to whether end users are allowed to modify the operating system on a tractor they had bought

In the US there was a court ruling in the '70's  referred to as the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act that addresses this issue. Basically, it says that doing periodic maintenance at home vs taking it to a dealership cannot be used against you to void your warranty. It also states that the installation of aftermarket parts ( ECU reflash in your case) cannot void your warranty unless the manufacturer can prove it was directly responsible for the failure.

So if your water pump, brakes, etc dies under warranty, Yamaha legally can't try blame the ECU flash. However, if your engine fails for whatever reason I think it's likely that Yamaha could say the engine was retuned to run outside of safe parameters, so it's something to consider. And a good reason to use a reputable tuner with known safe results, and not the lowest bidder.  

The Right To Repair issues that John Deere is facing is a little different issue. They are locking ECU's to keep owners from being able to run diagnostic equipment on their own machines. Hauling a huge tractor, that has to be broken down in to several pieces,  just to have a simple code scanned at the dealership is a scam and folks are rightfully fighting back against this. 

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

nozeitgeist1800
16 hours ago, shinyribs said:

The Right To Repair issues that John Deere is facing is a little different issue. They are locking ECU's to keep owners from being able to run diagnostic equipment on their own machines. Hauling a huge tractor, that has to be broken down in to several pieces,  just to have a simple code scanned at the dealership is a scam and folks are rightfully fighting back against this. 

very much agreed. the agriculture industry literally puts food on our plates and it gets harder and harder for them to do it every year, especially with manufacturers doing shet like this. i saw an article about a display or exhibition at a defense convention  where the dude jailbroke one of john deere's tractors and found a bunch of other issues beyond just the right to repair stuff. very interesting story

• Like 1