The MT-07 Forum

Radiator Stains on Brand New 2022 MT-07

Subito

Has anyone encountered white stains, running vertically down their radiator? My bike has 0 miles on it so the staining couldn’t be caused by the engine running for an extended period of time.

I found another thread with pictures of the same problem, posted by someone with a 2022 MT-09, so it appears to affect other Yamaha models too:

pxl_20220807_012822749-jpg.171935

Does anyone else have this stain on their radiator? I've been monitoring it and no leaks. Tried washing it out with a brush and soapy water but came back. Maybe I'll use something stronger...

Edited by Subito

It's hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like something rubbed against it and either left something on the fins, or damaged the edges of the fins.  Is this possible?

27 minutes ago, Triple Jim said:

It's hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like something rubbed against it and either left something on the fins, or damaged the edges of the fins.  Is this possible?

I don’t think so, if you zoom in on the photo the fins don’t look damaged. Just like my radiator, it looks like a white liquid ran down from above the radiator onto the fins. I’m wondering if the dealer washes the bike before delivery, and somehow this white stuff (perhaps a protective coating similar to cosmoline?) drains down over the front of the radiator.

I’ve spritzed water on the fins, which didn’t do much. I tried a very soft toothbrush and that worked better. In the end it doesn’t matter much, I suspect the crud will burn off once I start riding in the spring. And I’m going to fit a radiator guard, so any residual staining won’t show anyway.

I dunno, it’s a weird (and slightly annoying) phenomenon to encounter on a brand new bike. Ultimately I’m glad I found a new 2022 now, so I’ll be all set to ride in the spring. I didn’t want a 2023, not a fan of TFTs, plus  I didn’t have much faith the new 2023 models would be available in April.

• Like 2

I agree about the annoying part.  I think I'd go back to the dealer and politely explain that I tried to get the stains off, but couldn't, and ask them to please make it look decent.

The guard is a good idea.  I was a little concerned about the reduced air flow, but have since proved that it's not a problem.  One rock kicked up into the radiator could screw up a riding vacation!  Yamaha knows they need a guard too.  I got an questionnaire email from them after I got my 2020, asking what features I'd like on new models, and one of the choices was a radiator guard!  They're juggling low price and features, trying to find what sells best.

Edited by Triple Jim

I had an Evotech guard on my previous bike and it was great, very nicely made and inexpensive (around $70 as I recall). Evotech lists a guard for the 2018+ MT-07 but don’t specifically say whether it fits the 2021-2022 models. I emailed them to clarify, if it fits I’ll order it from Revzilla.

I’m in Wisconsin, so getting the bike back to the dealer (it was actually delivered to me this week because of the nasty weather) to address the staining on the radiator isn’t practical. Plus, I’m a bit concerned that the radiator fins could be damaged with overly aggressive cleaning by one of the dealer’s techs. It’s ultimately a cosmetic issue, and I don’t want to jeopardize cooling efficiency just for looks.

One of the things that really appeals to me about the MT-07 is its cheap and cheerful nature; in the past I’ve obsessed about my bikes, so I’m stoked to have a bike that can get a bit scuffed up without freaking me out.

• Premium Member

A bit of advise.... You don't need a "name brand" radiator guard  like Evotech. I picked up a cheap eBay radiator guard for like $30.00? Basically, it's a glorified "chicken-wire" screen that protects the radiator.... My 07 has been on track since 2017, and never had a cooling issue 😎

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

8 hours ago, cornerslider said:

A bit of advise.... You don't need a "name brand" radiator guard  like Evotech. I picked up a cheap eBay radiator guard for like $30.00? Basically, it's a glorified "chicken-wire" screen that protects the radiator.... My 07 has been on track since 2017, and never had a cooling issue 😎

Agreed.  The catch is that when I got one that is a clone of the name brand, it needed some re-shaping to keep it from rubbing on the radiator tank.  Vibration could cause any contact like that to eventually become a wear problem, or at least cause a funny rattling  noise to drive me crazy.

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Another +1 for Evotech. It has the rubber mounted stand-offs and fully covers the front  where as some of the cheaper ones only cover the fin area.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

The fin area is the critcal area, being the thinnest most fragile metal of the radiator, the place most likely by a large margin to be damaged by a stone or the like.  I got one of the low buck units because I knew that was all that was needed for street riding.  Fitted up fine.

• Like 1

And yet another +1 for the Evotech guard.  Put one on my 2019.  Great fit and functionality.  Worth the extra $$$$, IMHO.

• Premium Member

My "07" isn't on the street anymore.... I run it ONLY on the track, and has for most it's life (since 2017). If folks want to spend extra money on EVOTECH radiator guards, I honestly don't care? My OCD is quite strong, and I've never heard any sort of vibration sound coming from my "cheap" radiator guard, or had a cooling related issue. IMHO, spend money on things that really matter. Tires & suspension are the BEST area to improve the "07" platform. For general street applications, you really don't even really "need" radiator guard IMHO-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

One rock kicked up by a vehicle in front of me, that happens to bounce into my radiator, could ruin a week-long vacation for me if I don't have a guard.

My second hand bike's radiator was visually badly marked as if  by a stone so it was time for an Evotech guard.

Just do it! 

FWIW, I got an email reply from Evotech and they confirmed the 2018+ MT-07 radiator guard (part number PRN014086-01) fits on the 2021-2022 models too. So I went ahead and ordered the guard from Revzilla last night. Note that Revzilla shows a different manufacturer part number, so first I had to contact Revzilla cusomer service and confirm they’re selling the exact same part (they are).

I’ve gotten my radiator as clean as I care to make it, I figure the rest of the stuff will burn off in the spring when I ride the bike for the first time. Screwing around with more cleaning just increases the chances I’ll damage the fins, it’s taken me years to learn when to leave well enough alone. 😛

9F1391E4-EF75-44A6-8032-2A4F48940E43.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Subito said:

...it’s taken me years to learn when to leave well enough alone.

Ha, me too.  When I was in my teens and 20s I was much more OCD about things than I am now that I'm in my 60s.  I'm pretty sure it's because I got tired of creating big projects that gave me very little return for my effort.  😆

• Like 1

My 07 has an eBay radiator guard. It was perfect. Quality, design and fitment could not have been better. Bought the "same" one for my 09 and it was garbage. Designed to mount with zipties( really?) , bent and rusty out of the box. The frame that was folded over to hold the screen in place was riddled with stress cracks and was already failing. It's truly a crapshoot what you'll get. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. The shipping and complaint process was so lengthy that the window to have my money returned was closed, so I got robbed. The seller openly laughed at me in the messages about it. 

What you get when you spend extra with places like Evotech is:

-Known quality up front 

- A legit return policy that will be honored if something does happen to be wrong 

-Legit, durable design work- no dry rotted zipties releasing your rad guard on the highway some day 

- You're supporting real people that actually support the hobby by producing things we want/need vs the copyright thieves that laugh at you while sticking your money in their pocket.

All that aside, I've logged millions of miles (I did the math/ over a couple of decsdes in cars/trucks/vans and never once experienced a radiator puncture. I've never known anyone to outfit cars/trucks with radiator protection.  Been riding dirt bikes for decades and have gone home with welps and bruises from my buddy's roost spraying me in the face/neck/chest...never hurt a radiator. 

I like rad guards on bikes. They look more finished and keep dumb people from possibly folding your fins over. I'm not sure I'm worried about the rad getting punctured, but I can't say it doesn't happen. 

One thing about a rad guard on a bike that has proven useful is living on a gravel road and riding in the wet/winter months. The screen brakes up the spray of mush the front tire flings up and keeps it from getting compacted and baked in to the radiator, so clean up is much easier. 

Edited by shinyribs