The MT-07 Forum

2015 FZ07 rear shock vs MT07 rear shock - rebound adjustments?

TMTYWSH

Was there a change on the newer MT07 rear shock for more adjustments?

So instead of just preload there is also a screw to turn for "rebound"

I've seen these shocks on ebay for $99 , is it worth the upgrade ?

Edited by TMTYWSH
better title

M. Hausknecht

The MT 07 available in the U.S. has had adjustable rebound damping since 2018. I wouldn't buy an OEM shock for one of these bikes if it has more than 4-5000 miles on it; they just wear out too damn quickly.

• Like 1

My opinion: I don't know how much you ride or if it is a money thing, but I replaced my 2015's shock with one from MT and it is better. 

I'm just an easy-going street rider who puts on very few miles yearly, and I am very happy with the choice.

YMMV

Which exact MT07 with rebound damping adj. shock does fit on 2015-2017 FZ07?

I understand it is from 2018 but up to which model year?

• Global Moderator

Why not used market, Ohlins STX-46? I keep all my settings, can help you find your sport & comfort settings

Just now, Pursuvant said:

Why not used market, Ohlins STX-46? I keep all my settings, can help you find your sport & comfort settings

Well I want to "tune" the suspension (just to see if I can make the cheap stock stuff work, already have 15w fluid in the front forks and it works wonders) and improve the brakes first...if I like the bike, I will keep spending and tuning...so far the more I ride it...the more I like it.

Any tips on improving the stock brakes ?

Just now, Pursuvant said:

Oh ya, try this. Run don't walk for 

Front: EBC FA252HH x 2

And if you really want feedback & make that front tire howl with one finger.

Brembo 17RCS master cylinder - braided steel brakes

This winter I'm going to add:

Spiegler Stainless Steel Braided, 2015-2017, 2 Lines (Part: S-YA0293)

and

EBC FA252HH x 2 front pads

and see how it feels

Edited by TMTYWSH
clean up

M. Hausknecht
2 hours ago, TMTYWSH said:

Well I want to "tune" the suspension (just to see if I can make the cheap stock stuff work, already have 15w fluid in the front forks and it works wonders) and improve the brakes first...if I like the bike, I will keep spending and tuning...so far the more I ride it...the more I like it.

Any tips on improving the stock brakes ?

The EBC HH pads will help, as will steel braided lines. The stock master cylinder is also a major limiting factor in the feel and power you can get from the front brakes. The most cost-effective solution is to install an R6 master cylinder (manufactured by Brembo), which can be bought new from your Yamaha dealer or an on-line retailer for about $220 or used for less than half that. Two-finger stoppies and more routine braking with one finger.

The forks are fairly easy to improve. Spring, spacer, oil weight and levels are easy to switch without any special tools or knowledge. Stock shocks, however, are sealed and not intended to be rebuilt or altered; there is no tuning them once they're worn out, which happens fairly quickly. I'm aware there are folks (suspension shops) that can rebuild and revalve stock shocks, but I'd suggest a decent quality after-market shock, like a K-Tech Razor Lite ($535), before spending something like 2/3 of that for a rebuilt/revalved stock shock that won't last as long. Community experience indicates you'll see a bigger improvement with a decent shock than with any changes you make to the forks.     

• Like 3