The MT-07 Forum

Good or Bad Mods?

nooby-jim

• Global Moderator

Sorry, FaceBork is da place I no go. It's hard enough keeping a VPN running anonymous

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

If I were to offer anything, it would be to help clarify what are the avenues pulling for modification?

A healthy start might be to ignore everything anyone else has done (especially me) and ask yourself - do I want to correct the inheritant lack in functional performance?

Or do I want to feed the fun that comes from agrandizing ? (Read that as make it louder, make it more powerful, make it more sexy).

And a final observation, the pleasure that comes from studying/chasing/acquiring objects-parts has short lifespans. Much shorter lifespan than the actual realized benefits of putting sufficient $$$ into personal safety/gear that allow you to live in an at-times dangerous world.

• Like 1

Just now, mjh937 said:

I do not have Facebook access either.  Can you post a list of the mods?

“Tuned 2019 Yamaha MT07 700cc with 16k miles & clean title. Always garage kept & serviced regularly, I am the second owner and have not owned it long, the original owner was an older guy who had a performance shop tune it & Instal twin K&N air filter as well as performance parts over $2k worth including -Vortex Grips -Vortex levers - Bar end mirrors -Tinted flush mount blinkers -Tinted front wind screen -Twin K&N air intake (Professionally Tuned) - Upgraded handle bars -CBR600 rear shock -Front shock (better control corner & high speeds) -Race Tires (1k on them) -520 chain (1k ago) -Rear sprocket (1k ago) -LED tinted taillight with blinkers -LED daytime running lights Theres a few other little things like 12V USB with phone charger, RAM mount, license plate LED & bracket. Just did a Yamalube synthetic oil change with OEM filter. Only selling to get an FZ09 best value you’ll find.”

M. Hausknecht

$6400 for a bike with 17,000 miles. Most of the mods are convenience items that do not improve the fundamentals of the bike (grips. levers, mirrors, blinkers, lights,phone charger, RAM mount, windscreen, and handlebars); the marketplace doesn't typically give items like these any value on a used bike. The current owner hasn't ridden the bike much, by his own admission, and he likely doesn't know much about the bike or motorcycles more generally. I say this because of the absence of details concerning the few potentially beneficial mods: the "tune"; and the "front shock".

The bike has only one shock, of course,  a stock Honda shock from an unspecified year and model that might or might not be an improvement over the stock shock, so I have no idea what, if anything, has been done to improve the forks. No value there, that I can see. The characterization of the tires as "race" is a misnomer. They are street legal tires. Individual K&N filters were the hot setup on bikes about 30-40 years ago but there are better options these days; depending on what was done to "tune" the bike, the motor could run better, or worse, than stock. The exhaust looks like a cheapie Amazon" system, so I wouldn't attribute any value to it.

With winter coming soon to North America, I'm seeing lots of used, low mileage bikes for sale. I'd keep looking. You should be able to find an o7 with less than 5000 miles and better thought-out mods for that kind of money. 

Edited by M. Hausknecht
  • Like 4

• Premium Member

+1 on this ^      I was thinking the very same as was stated above 🙂. You can do better-

• Like 2

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

So most of the "mods" to that bike are aesthetic. If they are worth anything to you will depend on how much you like them personally.

The CBR600 shock is what I used on my '16 and I loved it. It will not fit on the bike without hitting the stock air box, so that's why they've had to go to the k&n air filter setup. Personally, that's the only thing that would worry me. I do not like k&n, or any other brand of gauze type filter, because they are poor filters. It's obvious that they don't filter well because we have to regularly soak them in sticky oil in the hopes they will catch debris in the airstream. If you can slobber enough oil on one to catch fine dust particles then you've restricted it to the same amount of airflow as stock, or worse. And it's been dyno proven that the stock air filter isn't robbing the bike of any power. 

If I were to inspect that bike in person I would ask to remove the pod filters so I could look in to the throttle bodies to check for cleanliness. Any trace of dust and I'd walk away. 

I've seen too many engines killed with those "filters". My '16 with 30,000 miles still had squeaky clean throttle bodies. I live on a gravel road and never changed the stock air filter one. 

• Like 2

16,000 miles should not be any big deal.   Especially on a 2019.   This isn't 1977, engines are robust enough to have like new performance at 30,000 miles, fact is most 1970s Japanese bike engines could do serious miles without any issues.   

Only concern would be how the bike has been run.  I'd say pull both air filters and check for silt (fine dirt).   Look at places for proof of being tossed down the road.  Look at brake calipers and the bottom of the fork legs,  case covers, even foot pegs (if one has the scraper peg ground and the other is not that might be a sign of falling off. They either replaced one or the bike was on its side before).   The bike may be a good buy, may not be a good buy.  Plus cash in hand might drop the price as well.   Take someone who knows a bit with you, someone without any emotional interest in whether you buy or not.  They may see what you don't.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

If it really has race tires (from one of the comments above is sounds like it might not) then you will want to replace them for street riding.  Race tires are designed to have grip when they are hot and will not have much grip when cold (which is why racers use tire warmers before they race).  You can keep them hot on the track but not on the street.  They will be dangerous for normal riding. 

I remember reading something like that in an article where a member of the media rode a racer's bike.  He had a hard time getting the tires warmed up to work right.   Apparently "the good stuff" may not be so good for us low level riders.

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, mjh937 said:

If it really has race tires (from one of the comments above is sounds like it might not) then you will want to replace them for street riding.  Race tires are designed to have grip when they are hot and will not have much grip when cold (which is why racers use tire warmers before they race).  You can keep them hot on the track but not on the street.  They will be dangerous for normal riding. 

Based on the tread pattern in the pics, they are Dunlop Q3+. They are a great street tire, but cross over into entry level track day tire. I still run them on my street bike, but eventually outgrew them on track-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"