The MT-07 Forum

Lower Handle Bars

ahnorris13

Has anybody put lower handle bars on there bike.  Any recommendations or problems.  My FZ-07 is pretty comfortable to ride but I feel a little more comfortable in the turns leaning a little more forward.

I put on Renthal Ultra Low aluminum handlebars.
They rise up about half as far and are wider than the original handlebars.
I cut about a half-inch (12 millimeters) off each end of the Renthals, and am now very satisfied with how they feel on the bike.
This pic was before I cut the 12 millimeters off each end:
001_zps4e51a020.jpg

I went with the same Ultra low Renthals, no mods to the bars. LOVE 'em. You will need to cut off the plastic "nubs" on the controls to fit them, so have your dremel handy. Also a solution of bar ends will be in order as the stockers have welded in fixing points. (cycle gear is your friend here)

Don't you want the "nubs" on the controls to keep them in place? If you don't have the tools, you may be able to get the bars drilled in exchange for a 6-pack from a local machine shop.

Clamping force is sufficient to keep the controls in place. I do believe those nubs were added as a liability concern for assemblers not placing things correctly (or tightened at all) and to stop the consumer from hurting him/herself,
In fact don't remove those nubs! Do not change anything as this may cause loss of control and or serious injury or death if you do! My previous posts was for example of you NOT to do this. DANGER DO NOT MODIFY YOUR HANDLEBAR CONTROLS EVER.

Just speaking from experience. Every once in awhile the righthand controls on my old bike needed a twist back into place after weeks with no "nubbin". It wasn't so much a safety issue as it was a "man, this is kinda jankey" issue.

are there any options out there for lower height but retaining the stock width? And if not is there any harm being done by just cutting the rentals down to stock width?

Depends on how picky you are with the clutch lever and front brake lever placement in relation to where the grips are.

Myself, I could manage 12 millimeters off each end and still place the levers and grips in the spot I prefer.The deciding factor was how far I could slide the clutch lever assembly to the right and slide the front master cylinder assembly to the left while maintaining my preferred distance from the grips with each.
If you don't care where you position those and only care about making the bars more narrow, you can make them a fair bit more narrow than I did, but, for me, feel of the controls goes out the window, not to mention losing leverage on the front brake lever.

• 5 weeks later...

So how much farther do you lean forward when riding the bike? I also would rather lean a tad forward than just straight up and down.

thanks jared

• 1 month later...

Wow old post.. linked here through google.. Has anyone tried just rotating the stock bars forward and adjusting the controls? Or is that a ridiculous idea ...

• Premium Member
Wow old post.. linked here through google.. Has anyone tried just rotating the stock bars forward and adjusting the controls? Or is that a ridiculous idea ...
It won't work if you have a Givi windscreen. :( It will put you more forward, (if you don't have a screen that interferes), but it will also start to rotate more elevated, which is the opposite of what some people (including me) want.

Why can't left turners see us?

Would a Renthal Fatbar work with the factory fork clamps or is the stock bar 7/8" the whole way across?

It won't work if you have a Givi windscreen. :( It will put you more forward, (if you don't have a screen that interferes), but it will also start to rotate more elevated, which is the opposite of what some people (including me) want.

You mean the sweep will make it sort of rotate up, right? I'm kind of going for a more traditional street bike feel, so I can lean forward a bit more. So what if I actually rotated them back, so the sweep protrudes down? I hardly ever need as much travel as the bars have right now. I guess kind of like cafe racers style, without being a cafe racer douchebag lol (no offense) (well some ;P)

• 1 month later...

What is the stock handlebar diameter? 7/8"? I'm looking at getting a few accessories that clamp. Thanks!

• 1 year later...

I was just about to ask the same thing.. went down and my handlebars got jacked up, bikes fine tho. Yamaha made a tough old girl with this one :)

I was just about to ask the same thing.. went down and my handlebars got jacked up, bikes fine tho. Yamaha made a tough old girl with this one :)

So you're looking for lower bars? I purchased the Gilles risers and bars from @bellissimoto and I love them. They are lower and more swept back so I get a sporty feel while still not being forced to ride in full tuck like you would get with clip ons.

Archived