The MT-07 Forum

hordpower airbox how to help

nozeitgeist1800

nozeitgeist1800

i have spent a shameful and frustrating amount of time searching for a write-up / pictures of how to install the hordpower airbox, with exactly zero results. i feel like i could swear that ive seen it somewhere in the last year but my memory is a potato, so it is not to be trusted. can someone with a better mind than my own point me in the right direction? im interested in the airbox but the installation process is a bit intimidating without any references to go with.

thank you for any help, i really appreciate it

• Premium Member

I thought there may have been a write up awhile ago, but I am not certain. 

I have the Hord Airbox on my FZ. The best common advice is to remove the throttle bodies and intake manifolds. Once those are removed you can remove the stock airbox in tact. It's not easy, kind like a puzzle,  but is does come out.

Then reinstall the intake manifolds and throttle bodies and the Hord Airbox. I have the Hord Tune on my Dynojet PCV. I love it.

PS- removal of the side panels and seat make life easier. Also unbolt the rear fuel tank mount and tilt the rear of the tank upwards for clearance. I used a 2x4 block to hold it up.

Ed

• Like 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

nozeitgeist1800
7 hours ago, Evill_Ed said:

I thought there may have been a write up awhile ago, but I am not certain. 

I have the Hord Airbox on my FZ. The best common advice is to remove the throttle bodies and intake manifolds. Once those are removed you can remove the stock airbox in tact. It's not easy, kind like a puzzle,  but is does come out.

Then reinstall the intake manifolds and throttle bodies and the Hord Airbox. I have the Hord Tune on my Dynojet PCV. I love it.

PS- removal of the side panels and seat make life easier. Also unbolt the rear fuel tank mount and tilt the rear of the tank upwards for clearance. I used a 2x4 block to hold it up.

Ed

ahh, beans... the throttle bodies and intake manifold are what make me nervous, i know f@#k all when it comes to actual mechanical stuff. most of what ive done so far has been superficial upgrades, etc. im hoping for a guide or pictures so i could see if it is something i feel qualified to do on my own. also, from what ive read, getting the throttle bodies synced is part of the process, and that also makes me nervous. 

i may try emailing hordpower and seeing if they will just send me a pdf of the install instructions and go from there, but i may just be exceeding my skill level and may have to settle down a bit

• Premium Member

The other option is to CAREFULLY cut the air box out with a small saw (I used a Sawzall). I blocked the throttle bodies with a rag to keep any debris from entering into them. I knew the OEM air box was going in the garbage anyway, so I made it easy on myself 😎. I had the old air box removed in about 10 minutes!!! Just take your time, and be careful not to knick any of the wiring harness. I had to cut the air box into several small pieces to get it out of the frame. If I had to do it all over again, I would do it the same way- ZERO regrets 🙂....

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

22 hours ago, nozeitgeist1800 said:

i may try emailing hordpower and seeing if they will just send me a pdf of the install instructions

If they do that. Please share what you learn and get so that others can benefit from your experience.

2022 Yamaha MT-07 Cyan Storm, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 [VN2000A], 1997 Yamaha YZF600R - Thundercat [project]

On 11/10/2022 at 1:16 AM, nozeitgeist1800 said:

i may try emailing hordpower and seeing if they will just send me a pdf of the install instructions and go from there, but i may just be exceeding my skill level and may have to settle down a bit

The instructions I received from Hord were written only (no pics).

It's a bit fiddly removing the stock airbox. Here's the main bits:

• raise the back of the tank for better access (block of wood) 
  • remove the inlet rubbers connecting the airbox to the throttle bodies
  • remove the throttle bodies from the engine side inlet manifolds so you can hold them out of the way
  • remove the airbox (remove from left side of the bike was Hord's advice)

It's one of those jobs that is a bit of a head-scratcher at first, but could be done relatively easily a second time. 

It's not essential to balance the throttle bodies afterwards. However, this is an item that is listed as needed at 600 miles, then again at 6000 miles and each 6000 miles afterwards.

Edited by stickshift

nozeitgeist1800
Just now, stickshift said:

• remove the throttle bodies from the engine side inlet manifolds so you can hold them out of the way

It's one of those jobs that is a bit of a head-scratcher at first, but could be done relatively easily a second time. 

It's not essential to balance the throttle bodies afterwards. However, this is an item that is listed as needed at 600 miles, then again at 6000 miles and each 6000 miles afterwards.

cool beans, doesnt sound as awful as i had imagined. ill probably wait until i get to the 6000 mark so i can do everything all at once, plus thatll be a good reason to not spend any money for a while.

• Premium Member
On 11/11/2022 at 3:57 AM, stickshift said:

I followed Hord's instruction to successful completion and wasn't as hard as legend says.

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.