The MT-07 Forum

2017 seat confort

Claude

Yesterday, I got the first ride ever on my new (to me) 2017 FZ07! I really enjoyed the ride. Was particularly impressed by the engine output. After decades of 1000 and 1100 Kawasakis, I thought that this "smallish" engine could be deceptive; far from it!! Really impressed, particularly by the torque of roll-in in 5 and 6th gear. Wow!

However, the deception was about the seat; was butt tired after only 1 hour. I know I'm not alone but I'm looking for a solution. Also, being tall (and old...) I would also love to have more legroom. So, having a thicker seat could possibly solve both issues.

I would possibly take the seat to a local upholstery shop but before doing so, I'm wondering about any advices. Something like:

-Is adding 2 inches too much?

- Is the best way to add foam above the OEM one or to start the foam from the seat base?

- Etc.

Thanks for any comment!

I have the Bagster Luxe seat for the 2018 model (does not fit 2017 unfortunately). Depending on your in-seam height, 2" may be fine. I have 30" leg in-seam (I am 5'8" without boots), and my seat raised me up by 1" - 1.5" (I do not have the measurements). I am able to put both feet down but not flat feet, and it does not feel like it's that much taller.

What I have noticed is that my aftermarket seat is very firm (similar to OEM). After it broke in, the firmness felt the same, but the comfort was there. I did a 13 hour ride, and my butt was only sore in the last 2 hours of riding. Taking it to an upholstery shop may help, but the material you add is important. What I learned is that soft is not necessarily better for me. I found that firm seats are actually better for long-term comfort (similar to riding road bicycles). The foam in my seat is Bultex foam.

• Like 1

nozeitgeist1800

i bought a corbin saddle, best $600 ive spent on the bike. went from around 20 to 30 minutes before i started noticing discomfort to being able to ride for hours with zero issues. i also dont have to do the weird leg-wobble thing after a ride to make sure the goodies are still good... ive heard that the comfort saddle offered by yamaha is better, but not completely fixed.

i will say that when i got my saddle, it felt like it raised the bike up like 2 or 3 inches, to the point where i am JUST able to flat foot the bike, and i am 6'4". will also agree with tomlichu, firm is definitely better

• Like 1

Just now, Royales83 said:

Don't buy the Yamaha confort seats, it's not worth it. 

Yup! Already read about it a few times.

But because I’m also looking for more legroom, I’m really thinking at making mine thicker.

Any pictures from guys that made this mod?

• Premium Member

Another vote for the Corbin saddle. It is so much better than the vinyl covered plank Yamaha calls a "seat". I barely noticed any more height than stock but felt wider in all the right places without restricting me putting my feet flat easily with my 32" inseam.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Well, I’ve been lucky enough to find locally a used Corbin seat. All black "Gunfighter" model that looks brand new for $400 cdn (slightly less than $300 us)! I just picked it up and I’m really looking forward to try it. Maybe only next season though as winter is almost here. Thanks for every comment!

Edited by Claude
  • Like 1

Made a little (~75 km) ride this afternoon at a great +17° C temperature! Corbin seat seems to be a huge improvement on comfort.

Also, I measured the vertical distance between top of pegs for both OEM and Corbin seat and Corbin looks to be about 2 inches (!!) thicker. This is great as it also improves legroom, which is something I was looking for. Very happy and thanks again for your comments!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
AdamKareem87

I have oem Yamaha comfort seats. They are not cheap and hard to find but fit perfectly and have a more firm gel like cushion as well as more tact to help with sliding. I would suggest OEM if you can find one. Only marginally more conformable though.

• 2 months later...

Corbin seats are fantastic especially if you tend towards longer rides.

Had one on my supermoto and one on my old cbr. 

Expensive but such a good investment. Probably will end up spending the coin for one on the MT07. Stock seat isn't terrible uncomfortable, but on a 300 mile plus day I was definitely sore. The wife on the other hand can only last about an hour before she's done being on the bike with me.