The MT-07 Forum

2021 MT07 Brouge Round Headlight Conversion

Motoracer

I purchased a Brouge Round headlight conversion for my 2021 MT07.

Trying to find someone who has done this conversion.

The round headlight has 4 wires ( Low Beam - High Beam - Ground - Parking Light )

My MT07 has a 4 pin connector for the headlight and I have only been able to get the High Beam to work.

I think there may be additional wiring needed to make this work, rather than connecting to the stock connector.

Thanks Much.

This is exactly the post I came here to do research on. I'm looking to buy that same conversation kit. I spoke with the folks at Brogue and they said they've had other customers being able to be successful with the kit + a 2021 MT-07 but it requires manual wiring. 

Would love to get someone to explain in detail or show pics if they've been able to get this done.

I looked into this a while back and the issue with the 21+ is that the high and low beams have independent grounds.... whereas a standard H4 bulb share a ground for H/L beam.  I've heard of people wiring the lights for high, low and running lights on all the time...

I think to do this right, you need to use a relay to switch the ground path based on the power coming from the H/L positive wires...

I have contacted Brogue, but they are unable to help. If we could find someone who has done the conversion that would be great. The headlight looks amazing on the bike. I think crackerjack is correct. I did see a diagram showing a relay for the grounds -attached.

I could wire it up myself is someone could show us a diagram of how they did it.  

IMG_2965.jpeg

Edited by Motoracer

The guys at Brogue just sent me an email after seeing this thread.

Here is what they suggested.

I'll give it a try this weekend.

"You can simply tie into both grounds and run the low beam off the 12v switched wire and the high beam positive to its respective lead. When the high beam is turned out it will override the low beam.

Hope this helps."

Could be wrong but having both high and low being "on" together (when on high beam) could be problematic:

- High battery power consumption

- Risk of melting the headlight lens

Having both together all the time would add a glaring problem to incoming riders/drivers, not a good idea at all in my book.

Just now, Motoracer said:

The guys at Brogue just sent me an email after seeing this thread.

Here is what they suggested.

I'll give it a try this weekend.

"You can simply tie into both grounds and run the low beam off the 12v switched wire and the high beam positive to its respective lead. When the high beam is turned out it will override the low beam.

Hope this helps."

When I was researching this a while back, I was told it's not as simple as just tying the grounds together on the bike and running the positive leads out.  IIRC, doing this caused the headlight to flicker.

If you try what Brogue recommended, check back here with your results...

Just now, Claude said:

Could be wrong but having both high and low being "on" together (when on high beam) could be problematic:

I have an old Honda 750 that I put a "Truck-Lite" 7 inch LED bulb into. That LED draws less power than the original bulb, and is wired so high beam ADDS TO the low beam. 

I have had no issue for 3 years re: overheating, and I do run high beam during the day (fairly typical for motorcycles) but at night if there is oncoming traffic I just turn the high beam off using the factory hi-low switchgear.

Just now, Lone Wolf said:

I have an old Honda 750 that I put a "Truck-Lite" 7 inch LED bulb into. That LED draws less power than the original bulb, and is wired so high beam ADDS TO the low beam. 

I have had no issue for 3 years re: overheating, and I do run high beam during the day (fairly typical for motorcycles) but at night if there is oncoming traffic I just turn the high beam off using the factory hi-low switchgear

I agree that you should be ok running both "filament" with a led bulb. My comment was about oem bulb that is an incandescent H4 unit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, crakerjac said:

When I was researching this a while back, I was told it's not as simple as just tying the grounds together on the bike and running the positive leads out.  IIRC, doing this caused the headlight to flicker.

If you try what Brogue recommended, check back here with your results...

I tried connecting the grounds and did indeed see the flicker you mentioned

I do have some good news however.

I made another inquiry   and here is the reply

We do not have an adapter for this model yet. If it is anything like the 20+ MT-09, it is not just a matter of adapting the plug. The new bikes are using some very odd ways of controlling the lamps with varying voltages. This essentially makes it impossible to just plug in a new light without some sort of module between the bike and the light. We are currently working on this solution now.

We are hoping to have this sorted by the end of this year and launch an application for this model with our new headlight unit to be announced in the coming weeks.

Let us know if you have any other questions, we're here to help.

Thanks,

Support Team

MOTODEMIC

BUILD • MODIFY • RIDE

450 W Larch Rd, Suite 10 • Tracy CA 95304

+1.209.346.7433  •  motodemic.com  •  @motodemic

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
kookylukey

Has anyone heard from Brouge or gotten it to work with their own ways of wiring? Looking into this exact swap as well

• 4 months later...

I just put an aftermarket headlight on my 2023 MT-07 and it should be same process as the 2021+

The new style light has a control module under the passenger seat you have to remove because the power output won't work with standard let headlights. (I was getting 35v at the 4pin connector) Also, the high beam switch is tied into the ecu and display so you will have to wire that up yourself too.

First, remove light module and electrical connectors from wiring harness. Cap off the blue, yellow, and yellow/black wires. Next, connect red wire (12v from headlight fuse) to pink and grey wires and the black(ground) to the other black wire. Then, remove headlight switch and desolder and cap off the yellow and yellow/black wires then solder your own 18-20 gauge wires to the switch. Remove 4 pin electrical connector and connect Grey to low beam, pink to switch, black to ground, and the wire coming off the other side of the switch to high beam. (I got an H4 pigtail off of amazon) Cap off the blue wire from the 4 pin connector and route your wires in a way where they are tucked behind headlight but don't get hung up when you turn handlebars.

That should be everything most led aftermarket headlights are ment to share the same ground anyways with a standard H4 connector. The only cons to doing it this way is you won't have high beam indicator on display and it takes a bit of soldering on that switch. If you have any questions feel free to ask I apologize in advance if my post is a little confusing.

• 4 months later...
PoorkidTurboR1
On 10/15/2023 at 6:03 PM, Baconator said:

I just put an aftermarket headlight on my 2023 MT-07 and it should be same process as the 2021+

The new style light has a control module under the passenger seat you have to remove because the power output won't work with standard let headlights. (I was getting 35v at the 4pin connector) Also, the high beam switch is tied into the ecu and display so you will have to wire that up yourself too.

First, remove light module and electrical connectors from wiring harness. Cap off the blue, yellow, and yellow/black wires. Next, connect red wire (12v from headlight fuse) to pink and grey wires and the black(ground) to the other black wire. Then, remove headlight switch and desolder and cap off the yellow and yellow/black wires then solder your own 18-20 gauge wires to the switch. Remove 4 pin electrical connector and connect Grey to low beam, pink to switch, black to ground, and the wire coming off the other side of the switch to high beam. (I got an H4 pigtail off of amazon) Cap off the blue wire from the 4 pin connector and route your wires in a way where they are tucked behind headlight but don't get hung up when you turn handlebars.

That should be everything most led aftermarket headlights are ment to share the same ground anyways with a standard H4 connector. The only cons to doing it this way is you won't have high beam indicator on display and it takes a bit of soldering on that switch. If you have any questions feel free to ask I apologize in advance if my post is a little confusing.

I know this is old but I wanted to share what I did to switch out the headlight on my 2022 MT07. The 35v is the "ground" not the power. At the connector 2 are 12v switched and the others are ground but you cannot use them in any meaningful way. You can however replace the light control module and use 2 relays to utilize the factory wiring and make it plug and play. I'm using a 7" round led from ebay. I made a super cheesy youtube video showing my custom "light control module" to replace the factory one under the seat. I listed brief parts list and a wiring diagram to make it plug and play if you're up for a little DIY. Here's the link for anyone interested. https://youtu.be/pdg2D9PS-U8
Edited by PoorkidTurboR1
  • Like 1