The MT-07 Forum

Helmet Bobble - Question

balkor2

Wanted to give an update as to what has been gong on and MAYB a future (or current) member whom is in or might be in the same situation.

On 10/27/2022 at 1:45 AM, sweetscience said:

Loose fitting might feel great, but it won't be secure at speeds.

On 10/27/2022 at 5:34 PM, Pursuvant said:

IMO Fit needs to be correct. Not perfect, just correct. 

On 10/29/2022 at 3:46 AM, shinyribs said:

Your helmet may fit the upper portion your head

So here we go..

Quoted you all in the reference to "Fitting". Then I will throw into the pot is the technology of the helmet shape (wind tunnel). I feel that both are important but the fit is more critical.

From what little I have learned (compared to some of you all) Shoei, Arai, and HJC supposedly test their helmets in the wind tunnel. I am not sure on AGV but I got the impression they do.

This past week I have been to a couple shops trying on various helmets and brands. While also listening to customers (whom were giving me advice) and the salespersons. I person informed me they had  the AGV K6, HJC RPHA 11 & F70. They did a Helmet Swap (wife swap was the joke the person used) and got to ride with a RF-1400. Said that while they liked the K6 they absolutely loved the RF-1400 more.
This Saturday picked up some Gear

Kudos to Cycle Gear in Norfolk, VA.  Great service. Answered all my questions (had a lot)! 

On 10/27/2022 at 3:17 PM, Mt707 said:

I got a shoei Rf1200.

Edit: just looked and they discontinued it. I can’t speak on its replacement the rf 1400 but I don’t see it being much different 

I purchased purchased the Shoei RF-1400 Matte Black. The BIGGEST difference between the 1400 and 1200 are the quantity of adjustable vents (I believe).

Edit: Stand corrected! There are 4 front entrance vents: (1) for defogger (1) Front (2) Upper/side-ish. 1400 improved aerodynamic. Visor on RF-1400 is CWR-F2. 

My brother has an older version then 1200 and has another Shoei (that is all he buys for the street) older version. He always comments\exclaims on the air movement and showed me on his helmet several (5+)  adjustable vents.

The only real issue I have with it is airflow. It moves a lot of air even with the vents closed. I know that sounds dumb but I ride year round and commute 100 miles round trip at night. When it’s cold out, there’s no way to combat the freezing air all around my head.  I got home this morning and my ears where frozen. 

I will say the 1400 doesn't move as much air, it has two vents (various levels settings) at the top. The rest seemed small.  Road down in Va Bch temp was upper 70s lower 80s helmet was warm but bearable and screen didn't fog while also I didn't feel I was suffocating while at the stop lights on Pacific Avenue.

On 10/30/2022 at 12:56 AM, Lone Wolf said:

Honestly I don't think they wind-test helmets with side wind. Maybe they do.

The Wind.
The people in this area I feel drive faster than most (except GA, they are faster). I am not a 'fast' rider. I drive a little faster in a car than on my bike. But in riding with my brother who does ride a lot faster, it is perceived to provide a better review.

While riding at speeds above 60, the noise was extremely quieter (Shoei). I could hear the cars on either side. I could hear my own bike over his Harley. I had a borrowed Sena 30k hooked up in the helmet and I could hear emails, and texts come through over the wind , car, and Harley noise. While with the Torc, I could not hear anything other then wind noise when riding. I almost seems like it is quieter in the helmet.

Buffeting was 100% gone.  I could check my blind spots at speed above 60 and not feel like I was going to loose my head. To catch up, I hit speed above 80 and it felt (helmet wise) glorious. Almost like it should feel.

On 10/29/2022 at 3:46 AM, shinyribs said:

but it's very rewarding when you find it

Absolutely!!!

Shoei RF-1400 is worth every penny on improving the quality of a ride.

Now on to the Negative of the Helmet:

Having issue finding a pair of sunglasses to fit within the helmet without detracting from view, vision, & feel.
Picked up a pair glasses with the foam (air across my eyes dries out my sclera lenses which can be extremely discomforting) and about 30 minutes in the ride, they were irritating blocking vision and comfort. One time I swore I saw something in my peripheral vision (it was the glasses themselves)

the Sena 30k, the mic placement, the pack itself whistles from the air. I wonder if the Sena SRL-EXT which is for the Shoei RF-1400 would not be better. Plan on down the road to purchase and install. 

Thank you for all of your feedback. I appreciate your time and your opinions. they are most valuable.

next Windscreen!

Edited by balkor2
Added content correction

2022 Yamaha MT-07 Cyan Storm, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 [VN2000A], 1997 Yamaha YZF600R - Thundercat [project]

Yeah, comms can be tricky. A buddy has Scala Packtalk comms and they stick way out from his helmet. He says the whistle is bad enough to be painful and has taken to riding with an earplug on that side. My old Sena 20's are pretty tight fitting and quiet. 

it seems like Sena SRL-EXT are a little tight fitting. One side is the battery other side is the controls

image.png.4ae19f249823457e5b9b4b669ad2d5fe.png

unlike the Sena 30k 

image.png.9e769d832f114914c83f7d86c17ab336.png

which sticks down more and I perceive they stick out more. But also the boom mic keeps coming down LOL

2022 Yamaha MT-07 Cyan Storm, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 [VN2000A], 1997 Yamaha YZF600R - Thundercat [project]

image.png.e7b20e97ce5bd6db0a1f249c26f240ad.png

• Global Moderator
Just now, balkor2 said:

...Shoei RF-1400...

....Having issue finding a pair of sunglasses to fit within the helmet...

...Thank you for all of your feedback...

Somebody said "I won't buy a helmet without without a sun visor". Ditto on that drop down sun visor, the Shoei GT-Air II is me. On flip side the 1400 has more protection because space isn't used by a sun visor.

You're posts on parts & gear is pulling in good range of comments, it's what makes the forum valuable, so thank you @balkor2

• 9 months later...

Little history -

I managed the parts and service department at a euro/ BMW dealership in Vegas for a handful of years as well as managed a Cycle gear in Vegas for a few years. Spent my fair share of time fitting, and learning the ins and outs of gear. How it's made and what really sets quality gear apart from the rest.

That out of the way, as many have said fitment is the most important part of helmet selection. Helmets are "semi subjective" in the sense that what works amazing for me, might be shet for you. Doesn't matter if it's the "best" and most expensive helmet around, if it doesn't fit right it will not do its job. Poor fitment can lead to uncomfortable hot spots/ pain, fatigue of the rider, and most importantly will not protect you the way it should.

Personally I'm a Shoei guy. They fit me very well, the build quality is top notch and they have lots of design features that I think work well. The tend towards a more egg/ semi round oval fitment sans the RF-SR. That helmet leans more towards the round fitment. Only downside is the price, but when it comes to keeping your head safe I don't personally take price into account. Rf1200 was my go too, that has been replaced by the rf1400. I have done 100+ on my roommates BMW S1000R in my rf1200 and been able to head check without issues.

Arai make a phenomenal helmet as well, and depending on who you ask it's the better of the two. This debate is as old as any, neither is better, id say it just depends what fits better. The Arai tends towards a much more rounded fit. Personally I do not like the visor mechanism or the pads, but this is just personal opinion.

Other brands I'd say that worth while are the higher end AGV's, Suomy's, bells and higher end HJC's. 

Schuberth makes decent ones as well, but I personally am not a fan of the build quality.

On the Bluetooth note- I am a sena user. The boom mic gives the best clarity for people on the other end, but I hate the boom mic. In a properly quiet helmet the quality change between the boom mic and button mic is negligible. Id recommend using the button mic that sticks to the inside of the helmet.

Damn, I wish Shoei would build a long-oval model like the Arai Signet-X, I am tired of paying Arai prices but the Signet is the only helmet that fits my noggin properly.

20 hours ago, Subito said:

Damn, I wish Shoei would build a long-oval model like the Arai Signet-X, I am tired of paying Arai prices but the Signet is the only helmet that fits my noggin properly.

It's funny man, so many people I know rave about the signet X's. Iv always wanted to try one for a day but every Arai just doesn't fit me not matter how I try. 

I either have a gap on the upper sides of my head and if I downsize then I end up with pressure on the front and back.

• Global Moderator
4 minutes ago, Paulb5950 said:

It's funny man, so many people I know rave about the signet X's. Iv always wanted to try one for a day but every Arai just doesn't fit me not matter how I try. 

I either have a gap on the upper sides of my head and if I downsize then I end up with pressure on the front and back.

I have a very long oval head and the Signet-X is the best fit I have found.  It is expensive but it is the only one that fits me properly. 

6 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

I have a very long oval head and the Signet-X is the best fit I have found.  It is expensive but it is the only one that fits me properly. 

Interesting, I am what I would call a long oval but I still have the gaps on the side in all aria's.

They seem to have to much of a roundness to them

Rf1400 is perfect for me, and I enjoy it alot. Prior to that I rode the 1200, had a few AGV's and a Suomy that I really enjoyed.

FYI, the Signet is the ONLY Arai that is a long-oval fit, so your experience with other Arai helmets won’t translate over to how a Signet will fit. For me Shoei is the default choice among all helmet manufacturers in terms of quality and value, but for whatever reason they have never offered a long-oval fit. I would buy one in a heartbeat if they did, but I’m stuck paying Arai prices for the Signet instead. Sigh…

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Subito said:

FYI, the Signet is the ONLY Arai that is a long-oval fit, so your experience with other Arai helmets won’t translate over to how a Signet will fit. For me Shoei is the default choice among all helmet manufacturers in terms of quality and value, but for whatever reason they have never offered a long-oval fit. I would buy one in a heartbeat if they did, but I’m stuck paying Arai prices for the Signet instead. Sigh…

Yeah I've tried them on before, but still end up with the gaps on the side. 

Same thing for the dual sport helmet they offer, I like that one more then shoeis Hornet but it just doesn't fit me as well as the hornet.