The MT-07 Forum

Helmet Bobble - Question

balkor2

Ok so have a few good rides under my belt with the bike.

Most had been local (not on highways) with speeds like 45 mph or lower. This past weekend, did a nice hull ~150 miles. Bridges, Interstates, back roads, inner city ride(s).

Hit 78 mph my highest speed. Well, a lot of the reviews talked about the wind beating on you and so on.
Well the bike it self was SWEET! No issues holding a line, changing lanes, acceleration, and so on was great.
Big rigs riding by didn't push the bike anywhere. Loved it.
 the wind hitting me, well lean a little forward and it reduced to a reasonable amount.  Nothing that horrible.

Now my head (Helmet).  OMG!!

I believe the term bobble (if I learned correctly) where your head is being pushed all over and shaken. and when I turned my head to the side (checking my blind spot) and HORRIBLE!! thought my head was going to get ripped off.

Torc T14B  -   Loved it until I got above 55 mph.

So my question, which helmet do you use and\or recommend that will not give me Bobble

Edited by balkor2
grammar \ spelling

2022 Yamaha MT-07 Cyan Storm, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 [VN2000A], 1997 Yamaha YZF600R - Thundercat [project]

M. Hausknecht

As I understand your situation, your head isn't moving in your helmet (which would be a fit issue) but your helmet is getting blown about and shaken as you ride. Part of that is just the nature of "naked" bikes but, as you no doubt suspect, some of it is the shape of your helmet. In my experience, turning your head appreciably at speed often results in even the best helmets becoming substantially less aerodynamically stable. But looking in the direction you're going shouldn't result in bad buffeting and shake. I've had good experiences with HJC Rapha  Pro, and several models of Arai and Bell over the years. For me, fit is the challenge, because my head tends towards being "long oval" in shape. For this reason, well-engineered, quality helmets made by Shoei and AGV, as examples, aren't options for me.

• Like 2

The Bell Star DLX works well for me too.   I will say I've ridden where I've gotten biffed about, usually in the wake of some other vehicle.  Trucks create some serious turbulence in their wake.    I've had some biffing about when riding in wind gusts too.  But both cases are hitting me both in the helmet and in the body.  

The Bell and the HJC are similar in head shape, I've worn both and had good experience with both.   I believe Arai has one of their helmets also in a similar head shape.  Only way to know is to try them on.

Look up some reviews on the brands and models you are interested in.

Check at some shops to see what fits and how it feels.   You can do some online research on pricing, then see if the shop can match or come close to the online price.  I prefer buying at a shop, because if it doesn't fit you can bring it back and get another instantly if it is on the shelf, a few days if an order is needed.

Whatever you do, perform the "TV test" with the helmet.  Put it on and watch TV for an hour or so.  The fit should feel very tight, but not have any pointes that are painful.  If after an hour you don't get any hot spots, points that make your scalp have a burning sensation, you have a good fit.  If you find it has hot spots or is painful you can return it without any problem.  No bug spatter to make them reject the return.

• Like 1

@klx678 Thank you for the feedback.

I planned on stopping by the shop where I bought the bike. They have some HJCs going to check out and ask.

my whole riding career as a child until college I only road back roads because there really isn't any interstates in the direction and need.
PA only had interstate 81 in my area.
So everything I needed and went too was off of route 11 (Maryland, Greencastle, Shippensburg, etc)  or route 30 (Gettysburg, New oxford, York, Lancaster, Philly, etc)

Here you need to use 664, 64, & 95.

Also is interesting. Been trying to find out about Transponders for Motorcycles. a lot of conflicting information.

2022 Yamaha MT-07 Cyan Storm, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 [VN2000A], 1997 Yamaha YZF600R - Thundercat [project]

nozeitgeist1800
11 hours ago, klx678 said:

Whatever you do, perform the "TV test" with the helmet.  Put it on and watch TV for an hour or so.  The fit should feel very tight, but not have any pointes that are painful.  If after an hour you don't get any hot spots, points that make your scalp have a burning sensation, you have a good fit.  If you find it has hot spots or is painful you can return it without any problem.  No bug spatter to make them reject the return.

will also add/suggest that you try to chew bubble gum while doing this test. while i wouldnt necessarily recommend eating while riding, if you talk or sing along to music, youll want to make sure you arent biting the inside of your cheek every time you open/close your mouth.

• Like 2

Just now, nozeitgeist1800 said:

sing along to music

I had been told that it is a crime to sing along

Only if it is classic opera at full volume, drowning out the radio on that Harley dresser with apes that you just passed. 😮 😱

• Haha 1

Just now, klx678 said:

Only if it is classic opera at full volume, drowning out the radio on that Harley dresser with apes that you just passed. 😮 😱

SWEET!

Totally TOTALLY .. get it and Appreciate Opera. BUT(T)

Unfortunately I would NOT be your guy.  Pavarotti wasn't\isn't in the Family tree nor was he the Milk Man or the Post Man

Sorry for letting you down.

Edited by balkor2
  • Haha 1

Question to all:

What Helmet do you wear?

Pro:
Con:

Edited by balkor2

Just now, balkor2 said:

What Helmet do you wear?

Pro:
Con:

Who?  Me?

If so, I now wear Bell helmets, Star DLX MIPS and MX-9 Adventure.   

Star pros:

• snug fit, as quiet as anything I've had - but I don't sing opera in it
  • decent venting, athough I've never found anything short of the open face of an MX helmet to have good venting.
  • removeable replaceable liner
  • extremely easy quick shield removal
  • sweet strong magnetic strap end holder.
  • Great looks and finish

Star cons:

• face shield is either open or closed, no in between detents.
  • must make sure the mechanism clicks in when putting face shield back on, had one side come loose yesterday

MX-9 pros:

• quality for the price, meeting ECE 22.05 as well as DOT
  • light weight due to polycarbonate shell.
  • snug decent fit that seats in well.
  • removeable replaceable liner
  • good air flow in general
  • low enough price I wouldn't hesitate to throw it away if I had a hard helmet impact.

MX-9 cons:

• I'd like a bit longer visor, like most MX helmets have
  • Maybe have a bit more lowering of visor for even better sun blockage
  • should have the magnetic strap end holder of the Star.

Bells have just plain fit me well since my second one in 1983, the first was too loose, should have been a size smaller.  I have had similar good fits with HJC and AGV.  But the Bell has proven to be able to be tight to start, but without pain, then fit in like a well fitted glove... unfortunately my gloves never do fit like a well fitted glove... but that's another thread...  

Edited by klx678
  • Like 1

M. Hausknecht
Just now, balkor2 said:

Question to all:

What Helmet do you wear?

Pro:
Con:

What shape is your head? Some of the on-line retailers categorize their helmets by head shape, which is where you should start, like:

og_image-1758fc38b821432ac2d7bd92a55ddf8

Shop Motorcycle Helmets By Color, Category & More. Free Shipping on Orders Over $40. Expert Gear Advice From Riders.

What fits me well might not fit you at all, and some brands, like Arai, feature helmet models that fit different shaped heads, so brand doesn't equate to fit. There are even differences between very similar models. For example, I'm comfortable in a medium HJC Rapha 11 Pro but the HJC FIM-approved helmet, the 1N, is "rounder" so the medium is a bit too tight front to rear, and the large is just too big on the sides. 

For safety  evaluations, nothing beats:

Welcome to SHARP, the Safety Helmet Assessment and Rating Programme, a scheme to help motorcyclists make an informed...

• Like 1

Just now, M. Hausknecht said:

What shape is your head?

Just now, M. Hausknecht said:

There are even differences between very similar models.

Thank you so much for your input :)

You are absolutely correct!

It is important to understand each manufacturer is mildly different across the board with everything (Shape, label, size, fit, etc)

The Goal of the question is to help (me) learn from those who have used / worn / have / etc.

And to add those opinions with my own experiences to be more informed when making a decision.

IE: I had helmet Stuffy GP 123. Was great when I was riding my R6 but when I got my XSR700 I hated it. 

My brother has a brain bucket and has zero issues. But he has a Couch on wheels for a bike. Full fairing, Large windshield. So his experience & opinions in helmets with that bike is would not help me. 

Edited by balkor2

On 10/24/2022 at 5:47 PM, balkor2 said:

Now my head (Helmet).  OMG!!

I believe the term bobble (if I learned correctly) where your head is being pushed all over and shaken. and when I turned my head to the side (checking my blind spot) and HORRIBLE!! thought my head was going to get ripped off.

So my question, which helmet do you use and\or recommend that will not give me Bobble

I have a NEXX X.R2 and I haven't had any problems. I do have a pretty thick neck (fitting dress shirts are a problem) and I also ride a sport bike so I'm used to leaning forward and supporting the weight of a helmet.

Your helmet looks pretty aerodynamic, but it is a little on the heavy side, could the weight of the helmet combined with the wind be beating you up ?

Also, maybe air is getting under it and pushing up, they do make track focused helmets that are designed for more of a - head down tucked body position that might be a better option.

• Like 1

If you frequent high speeds, invest in a light weight full face helm.  Sizing is key.  Loose fitting might feel great, but it won't be secure at speeds.  If the padding feels tightish new, it will break in later.  You'll be looking at flagship models to get what you need.

My Scorpion EXO-R1 is really light and svelte.  Cuts through wind with ease.  Good for medium oval head shapes.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member

I use an old(er) Bell "race star" as my street helmet. It's carbon fiber, and lightweight. It also holds my glasses very secure, as it isn't really designed to accommodate glasses. It takes a bit to put my glasses on, but once in the correct position, they don't move at all..... The "lid" above the forehead, makes a really nice sun-block when riding into a setting sun. For street riding, I'm very happy with my 2015 era Bell "race star"-

For track use, I prefer my 2019 Bell "race-star". They did away with the "lid" area above the forehead, which allows you look through a corner MUCH more effectively/comfortably. I have a "partially fused" neck, so anything I can gain in relation to range of motion/comfort is something I'm gonna do! For street riding (at sunset) I still prefer my old(er) bell "race star"-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

9 hours ago, TMTYWSH said:

maybe air is getting under it and pushing up

It might be that. At slower speeds (under 40) I suspect you really wouldn't notice but at speeds above 50 you would.

4 hours ago, sweetscience said:

If you frequent high speeds,

At this moment in time I spend most of my time with speeds under 50 (backroads, neighborhoods, city streets). Which is why I was shocked when I hit the Interstate going southside (which is what we call it) and my head was being pushed around.

AGAIN THANK YOU for the feedback!!!

This weekend I have a planned ride [~150 miles] a small stretch of the path will be 60+ (the rest will be sub-50) will tuck my chin and see what happens. It wouldn't be the first time I am the cause LOL

I got a shoei Rf1200. I spend way more time than I should at speeds above 80 and don’t really have any issues with my head getting blown around. I do catch air underneath and it wants to lift when I’m checking over my shoulder but it seems to be pretty arrow dynamic. 
Its fairly quiet compared to my old hjc and a lot more comfy. I have a super lumpy misshaped head though. One of the big selling points for me was the glasses slots. They slide in nice and easy but are held in place real tight.  

The only real issue I have with it is airflow. It moves a lot of air even with the vents closed. I know that sounds dumb but I ride year round and commute 100 miles round trip at night. When it’s cold out, there’s no way to combat the freezing air all around my head.  I got home this morning and my ears where frozen. 

Edit: just looked and they discontinued it. I can’t speak on its replacement the rf 1400 but I don’t see it being much different 

Edited by Mt707
  • Like 1

• Global Moderator

IMO Fit needs to be correct. Not perfect, just correct.  Start a file for "gear" in Dropbox, or Drive, somewhere it will be waiting in the cloud to load, edit - something not affected by lost broken new cell phone, you can let the file grow with your moto life over the years.

Quality helmets have removable liners/cheek pads/visors/shields etc. For (1) changing out to get the right fit and (2) washable because sweat stinks.

Use the file to record all the helmets you buy in life, and sizes of interior pads that you changed to make that brand fit correctly.

Like for me, here is an example "riding gear" helmet info for Shoei:

@@@@@@
Shoei J-Cruise II helmet (small)
1 x SHCJ2PNCLEA C-J II Pin Lock Shield Clear 
1 x 60OCHE39  J-CRUISE II Type-O Cheek Pad Set 39mm (stock size is 35mm)
This helmet uses a "J-Cruise II CJ-2 Base Plate Set"

I use custom size 39 mm chin pads (more thickness), ordered direct (website) from 
https://www.shoei-helmets.com/
Shoei  

user: xxxx
pw:xxxx

Shoei GT-Air II Deviation full face helmet (small)
1 x 60NCHE39  GT-Air II Cheek Pad Set 39MM (stock size is 35mm)
This helmet uses a "CNS-1 Base Plate Set"

I use custom size 39 mm chin pads (more thickness) on Shoei "Small" helmet size
@@@@@@

Follow all the great advice in this thread, and use Dropbox file to keep your data for life

• Like 1

On 10/26/2022 at 4:51 PM, balkor2 said:

Question to all:

What Helmet do you wear?

Pro:
Con:

My normal helmet is an AGV K5. Most comfortable I've had so far and very stable in the wind. Con: Damn expensive if you can't find a closeout. But I'm pushing 50,000 miles and 5 years on that lid and the interior is holding up well after dozens of runs through the washing machine. You do get your money's worth IMO. 

When I know I'm going to be running lots of errands in town on a hot day I'll grab my dual sport helmet, leave the visor up and use goggles. Don't have to open and close the visor constantly ( cops will ticket your for lack of eye protection while moving) and get plenty of air flow. Fogging is an issue due to eyeglasses and this helps a bunch.

Now, my dual sport helmet is this LS2. 

1568116250_download(3).jpeg.98369ee4d3e3420870d3e3b3d6bac038.jpeg 

It has a very aggressive sun beak. The longest I could find. On early morning/late afternoon rides in the mountains it's really helpful to use that beak to block the rising or setting sun from my eyes. You'd think that beak would cause helmet bobble, especially if you believe the internet, but it doesn't. Yes, I can feel the wind tug on the beak a little when I check over my shoulder at speed, but I've had that helmet up to 140mph for sustained periods of time ( multiple miles, don't replicate at home if you've got any sense) with no issues. And that's with the visor cocked open and rocking goggles. 

Reason I mention all that is...if any helmet should bobble in that wind, THAT helmet with that beak and it's visor open should be worse case scenario, but it's fine. Your helmet may fit the upper portion your head ok, but the cheek pad fit could be wrong. Or vice versa. Impossible to say from where we sit, but it really sounds like your helmet is loose on you, which will pull your head around. Think dead blow hammers. The helmet only has to move a little bit to build momentum, then it has inertia to pull your head around easier. 

It can be really frustrating and confusing picking a helmet that fits your head shape, but it's very rewarding when you find it. A strange helmet makes everything else better. 

• Like 2

Googled your helmet to see if there was any outstanding reason it may appear to be unstable. 

Great. New I want to buy a new helmet 😒 That's nice! 

Screenshot_20221028-194418.thumb.png.78dc723fb41e8d9cdb51090579d8fc6e.png

• Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 2:47 PM, balkor2 said:

... and when I turned my head to the side (checking my blind spot) and HORRIBLE!! thought my head was going to get ripped off.

Honestly I don't think they wind-test helmets with side wind. Maybe they do.

May want to look into a 20 or 22 inch touring windscreen if your existing helmet is functional, may be less money and make a larger impact for wind reduction. 

Touring Windscreen forum thread

I really like this 20" Madstad from a guy Ryans Tree

2017 20 inch height and corbin RyansTree Crop.jpg

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Like 1

Just now, Lone Wolf said:

May want to look into a 20 or 22 inch touring windscreen if your existing helmet is functional, may be less money and make a larger impact for wind reduction. 

Good idea.  Just be sure the top of the windshield is at least up to the top of your head.  I found that if it just comes up to my nose, the wind noise is unbearable.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

... top of the windshield is at least up to the top of your head.  I found that if it just comes up to my nose, the wind noise is unbearable.

That wind noise is turbulence which can be virtually eliminated with a Laminar Lip or similar clone from Ebay

I have their universal 14" one installed on my old Honda 750 running a National Street Shield EX and I look over it, not through it. For me, adjusting the height of a windscreen so that I see about 40 feet of road in front of the bike before the windshield begins to block my view is the sweet spot.

Laminar Lip.gif

• Like 2

• Global Moderator
16 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

...I really like this 20" Madstad from a guy Ryans Tree...

2017 20 inch height and corbin RyansTree Crop.jpg

I'm addicted to naked  retro bikes, but there are some shields that look good and work. Your bike looks damn good

• Like 2

REALLY REALLY appreciate all the feedback.

Drove down to Duck, NC (~350 miles round trip with detours LOL). Hit somewhere near the Dennis Anderson (Grave Digger) and the Wind hit me. WOW.  Now I understand how the wright brothers and also how they sell hang gliding services.

On 10/29/2022 at 3:46 AM, shinyribs said:

Your helmet may fit the upper portion your head ok, but the cheek pad fit could be wrong. Or vice versa. Impossible to say from where we sit, but it really sounds like your helmet is loose on you, which will pull your head around.

After reading everyone's comments, and the experience of NC, and paying super close attention  ...  It is possible.

At purchase of the helmet, it fit really really snug (to me).  Even though I followed directions upon ordering the helmet, I wonder if the directions were not meant for a different brand or what? But since the ride to Duck, it is possible the helmet is not snug enough.

This week I have planned to check out a helmet, 3/4" to 1/2" converter (socket), New pair of Gloves, Motorcycle Stand (so can maintenance my chain better), and few other things I need. 

Edited by balkor2
Grammar and Additional information.