The MT-07 Forum

Custom Taylor Rim Tape

appatil

• 3 weeks later...

I keep arguing with myself whether to get these or not on the liquid graph. bike i pick up in feb.

I love them but 1) not sure if they spoil the sexy blue rims or 2) look too gangsta lol

I keep arguing with myself whether to get these or not on the liquid graph. bike i pick up in feb. 
I love them but 1) not sure if they spoil the sexy blue rims or 2) look too gangsta lol
I bought the blue for my liquid graphite. It is only a strip on the rims so I don't think it would look bad and it would look awesome at night. It is -3 degrees where I live so I haven't been able to put them on or get pictures, but I'm excited.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I just ordered this in red. We were washing the bikes and after seeing the red rims on hubs' 09 I had to have it.

Illegitimi non carborundum

I just ordered this in red. We were washing the bikes and after seeing the red rims on hubs' 09 I had to have it.
Take pictures! I'm very curious about how it will look.

fooschnickens

I put mine on a couple weeks ago. Super easy to stick on, just take your time and have faith that there's actually enough material on the sheet to do both wheels. XD

I need to get some nighttime pictures of them once it stops being below freezing once the sun goes down...

bU0wIbF.jpg

Nice! I did mine in white/silver also. I took the stock reflectors off the bike, so I need something on the side. Love the way they changed the look of the wheels.

fooschnickens
Nice! I did mine in white/silver also. I took the stock reflectors off the bike, so I need something on the side. Love the way they changed the look of the wheels.
Yeah it's subtle but noticeable at the same time. Just the right amount of color to make them stand out.

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member

So, I too having removed all the OEM side reflectors decided these might be a good idea... even though stated that the "black" is not as reflecting as the other colors it is what I opted for on the blurple wheels of my liquid graphite.  I didn't want something too garish when not functioning as reflectors and I wasn't sure how well they would go on to the wheel, I mean how evenly the pieces would look when complete. 

Since there isn't such I'll add some reflections on them and their install:  first, they are a 3M product, hence I figured they are probably decent quality base material, which seems to be true; mine came with TWO extra strips; and the instructions are clear and detailed--easy to follow. 

Initially, upon looking at them I was concerned about two things, 1) alignment since there is no "hard" edge on the rim to butt them against, and 2) bubbles (I've applied large graphics to race cars). What I found with the tapes was that the material is quite flexible/compliant (the instructions say it is so compliant that they can be used on an inch smaller wheel if needed) and are pretty easy to space pretty equally onto the rims given being cut expressly for our sized wheel.  I also found that though bubbles are not a big deal, small ones can occur.  If not firmly pressed down the tape can be lifted and repositioned while installing it, also eliminating bubbles.  I did end up with a very few small bubbles and may try puncturing a couple with a pin and see if I can work them out in this fashion as we used to do with vinyl tops (ouch, that shows how old i AM!!!).

After each piece was installed I "burnished" it with a paper-towel to make sure adhesion was maximized.  Also, I took my thumb nail and pressed the edge of the overlap of pieces to remove any air in the little line where the two pieces overlap.  Finally, I recommend waiting a day or so before doing anything with the bike after installation, though the instructions do not say to.  Most such adhesives set/cure to at least some degree after installation.

One thing I'd like different is for the strips to be longer.  Having installed a set I cannot see any reason why an install could not be done perfectly well with 4 or 5 pieces instead of the 6 required for each side of each wheel, minimizing overlaps.

Also, the extra stars provided where a nice touch my granddaughter appreciates.  No, though she wanted to put them on the 07 I declined.  So, here are a couple quick pix in the shop, with flash and without--using an ancient camera I leave in the shop.  Sorry, I didn't take the time to roll 'er out and do more artsy pix, but you'll get the idea, I'm sure.  The lesser reflective black seems to be effective enough without being bothersome under usual daylight conditions, imho.

[attachment id=340" thumbnail="1] 

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

What is that behind your bike...nice job....but what is that awesome piece of machinery?

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

• Premium Member

...additionally, the black reflector tape really doesn't look "black" in most circumstances/light.  Mainly silver-ish or dark gray-ish in combination, with is okay with the liquid graphic bike color, imho.

To answer your question, CrazyCrack, the car behind the 07 in the pic is my 1966 Excalibur SSK, one of 97 of the first model built in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, by the noted industrial designer, Brooks Stevens and his two sons.  It still has its original Vette 327 and Studebaker Avanti chassis with limited-slip differential, disk-brakes, traction-bars, and anti-sway bars front and rear. The Dayton wire wheels are genuine knock-offs supplied with the traditional lead hammer. [attachment id=342" thumbnail="1]  Though Excalibur built about 3200 cars over more than a quarter century in Milwaukee they never built anything like the original again. The last 12 of the doorless, like mine, were built in 1967.  Btw, the side pipes are totally functional and I have to warn riders that they do get HOT... sort of like a bike, hehehe!!!  Fortunately, it has the original, optional step-plates above the pipes to ease getting in and out safely. 

The pic below is of the assembly line... such as it was for a hand-built to order, very limited production car in 1965.
[attachment id=343" thumbnail="1]

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
...additionally, the black reflector tape really doesn't look "black" in most circumstances/light.  Mainly silver-ish or dark gray-ish in combination, with is okay with the liquid graphic bike color, imho. 
To answer your question, CrazyCrack, the car behind the 07 in the pic is my 1966 Excalibur SSK, one of 97 of the first model built in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, by the noted industrial designer, Brooks Stevens and his two sons.  It still has its original Vette 327 and Studebaker Avanti chassis with limited-slip differential, disk-brakes, traction-bars, and anti-sway bars front and rear. The Dayton wire wheels are genuine knock-offs supplied with the traditional lead hammer.   Though Excalibur built about 3200 cars over more than a quarter century in Milwaukee they never built anything like the original again. The last 12 of the doorless, like mine, were built in 1967.  Btw, the side pipes are totally functional and I have to warn riders that they do get HOT... sort of like a bike, hehehe!!!  Fortunately, it has the original, optional step-plates above the pipes to ease getting in and out safely. 

The pic below is of the assembly line... such as it was for a hand-built to order, very limited production car in 1965.

Now that's motor driven art at it's finest.  Thanks for sharing.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

Archived