The MT-07 Forum

rear tandem seat won't come off

toolpro

How do I remove my stuck rear seat?  2015 all stock. Everything clean, and well maintained.  

I had the rear seat off, and replaced it.  Now the key will not go back into the lock on the side, and the rear seat looks like it is not latched all the way down.  How do I free the lock and release the seat?

Thanks in advance.

Rick

• Premium Member

I had that happen a couple of times. Try pressing down on the rear of the tandem seat pad at the lock area and wiggling it while trying to insert and turn the key, you probably need to release the tension on the lock assembly.

Ed

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Global Moderator

Anyone remember a seat lock "fix" to the locking cable, where it attached to locking mechanism under the seat? It's been awhile, my searching isn't finding it, but I did this preventative fix, you put a zip tie around it to prevent the cable from coming disconnected.

If somebody wants it and can't find it, I could remove the seat and plastic cover, and take a picture. I'll probably remember this "how to" when I see it again 

I shoot the lock/key and lock mechanism under seat with WD-40 if I happen to be in that area for some reason, it's no big deal

Just now, Pursuvant said:

I shoot the lock/key and lock mechanism under seat with WD-40 if I happen to be in that area for some reason, it's no big deal

My locksmith buddy tells me to use powdered graphite on locks rather than oil, which can eventually make a mess.

• Like 3

It worked.  Jiggle jiggle.  Jiggle jiggle again.  And again. And off it came.

Thank you!  Rick

ps.  yes, powdered graphite on locks.  WD40 is a poor lubricant and a worse penetrant.  it has its uses, but is mostly the result of highly successful marketing.  I use it for some cleaning, very temporary water blocking, and small squeeks about the house, but not much else.

• Like 2