The MT-07 Forum

Lithium Battery 2022

scat2me

• Global Moderator

A standard Yuasa? And go buy riding armor with the money saved?

• Like 1

nozeitgeist1800

ive had a really good experience with the antigravity ReStart battery, with 360 cca. its got a power reserve in case your battery dies so it can jump itself, very convenient (especially with how much of a pain it is to get to the leads for a jump start). it also shuts itself off after x amount of time, so when i left it for the winter and forgot to plug in my tender, it wasnt completely dead when i tried to get it up and running again

edited to add link to where i bought mine, cheapest place i can find - 

AG-ATZ10-RS__44071.1551754398.480.480.jp

Antigravity ATZ-10 ReStart 360CA Lithium Ion Battery AG-ATZ10-RS

Edited by nozeitgeist1800

Just now, nozeitgeist1800 said:

ive had a really good experience with the antigravity ReStart battery, with 360 cca. its got a power reserve in case your battery dies so it can jump itself, very convenient (especially with how much of a pain it is to get to the leads for a jump start). it also shuts itself off after x amount of time, so when i left it for the winter and forgot to plug in my tender, it wasnt completely dead when i tried to get it up and running again

You would also need a battery tender that is specifically designed for Lithium ion batteries. While Li batteries are much smaller and do not loose its charge as quickly, the batteries have a much smaller capacity (I think like 1/4 the capacity compared to stock).

nozeitgeist1800
Just now, tomlichu said:

You would also need a battery tender that is specifically designed for Lithium ion batteries. While Li batteries are much smaller and do not loose its charge as quickly, the batteries have a much smaller capacity (I think like 1/4 the capacity compared to stock).

ya, that was part of me forgetting to charge it over the winter, tossed the old tender on it and didnt notice there was no lights on the tender for the entire winter. definitely felt like a boob

I just read about the Antigravity battery.  I'm a little surprised that they're warranted for only 3 years, and that's a prorated warranty that gives you a discount from MSRP.  If it quits in a year and a half, you get a 50% discount from $199.99, so you have to pay $100 for a replacement.

They also have a list of things that void the warranty as well as the requirement that you send a copy of the original recript, and you use their claim form.

https://antigravitybatteries.com/downloads/AG-Warranty-ClaimForm-Powersports-Batteries.pdf

I'll probably go with something like this when it's time.  

Edited by Triple Jim

You save about 9 lbs and you get a better battery.

It costs about the same as a "dealership" battery...

Is this a no brainier ??

Just now, TMTYWSH said:

Is this a no brainier ??

I got a gel battery for $35 when my OEM battery started dying. I personally think Li batteries are overpriced, and batteries are so common that the knock-off brands are good now too. The Li batteries are only 4 lbs lighter... at that point I'm better laying off the beer and shaving a few pounds off my belly.

• Like 2

Just now, tomlichu said:

The Li batteries are only 4 lbs lighter... at that point I'm better laying off the beer and shaving a few pounds off my belly.

Buy the Li battery and lay off the beer for a even bigger difference 😀.
Been running Li batteries on my MT and my track bike for the last 18 months with no problems.

• Like 1

sweetscience

+1 Antigravity.  Had those in all my previous bikes with no issues.  Starts up strong every time.  When the stocker dies, in will go the lithium.  Not only is there weight saving, the smaller size will free up space to stow tools or whatever.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2022 at 8:57 AM, nozeitgeist1800 said:

How did you get this to fit? I can't find another battery with the correct terminal placement, and this one seems great, but it is too tall for the seat to fit back on my 2019 MT07. 

I've researched, talked to AntiGravity directly who said this would fit, and can't find a battery anywhere with the positive on the right. 

2 hours ago, RM88 said:

How did you get this to fit? I can't find another battery with the correct terminal placement, and this one seems great, but it is too tall for the seat to fit back on my 2019 MT07. 

I've researched, talked to AntiGravity directly who said this would fit, and can't find a battery anywhere with the positive on the right. 

I have a 2019 MT07 and I bought a different battery but its the same size as the Antigravity battery. The website says its 5.9" long x 3.5" deep x 3.74" high. Did you place the battery in on its side (laying it on the logo)?

11 minutes ago, tomlichu said:

I have a 2019 MT07 and I bought a different battery but its the same size as the Antigravity battery. The website says its 5.9" long x 3.5" deep x 3.74" high. Did you place the battery in on its side (laying it on the logo)?

I have the Antigravity ATZ-10. It says it's 7.5 x 5.2 x 4.8 inches and I wasn't able to fit it on it's side in the battery box. Do you have the Antigravity ATZ-7 ?

2 hours ago, RM88 said:

I have the Antigravity ATZ-10. It says it's 7.5 x 5.2 x 4.8 inches and I wasn't able to fit it on it's side in the battery box. Do you have the Antigravity ATZ-7 ?

I do not have the Antigravity battery. I have a generic AGM battery that is 5.9" x 3.5" x 3.74" which is the correct size. The size 7.5" x 5.2" x 4.8" is the wrong size, the company might have sent you the wrong battery.

image.png.d55769cf4fbb04b9bcfd5e34d2676c5c.png

8 minutes ago, tomlichu said:

I do not have the Antigravity battery. I have a generic AGM battery that is 5.9" x 3.5" x 3.74" which is the correct size. The size 7.5" x 5.2" x 4.8" is the wrong size, the company might have sent you the wrong battery.

image.png.d55769cf4fbb04b9bcfd5e34d2676c5c.png

Please send me the link to the AGM you have! I can only find them with the terminals on the wrong side. Searched Revzilla, WPS, Amazon, etc. Thanks!

5 hours ago, RM88 said:

... can't find a battery anywhere with the positive on the right. 

The positive terminal should be on the left. See the OEM website for the MT07 battery.

https://www.yuasabatteries.com/battery/ytz10s/

image.png.0653fa659fcf420d15d3c9113f9083fd.png

This is the battery I bought. Note that it is a lead AGM battery and not the Li battery that you were asking about.
https://smile.amazon.com/Mighty-Max-Battery-Replacement-Product/dp/B0126V4XDK/ref=sr_1_2?crid=37BRHRLCSALN6&keywords=YTZ10SGEL&qid=1669667316&sprefix=ytz10sgel%2Caps%2C111&sr=8-2

Just to ensure we are on the same page, for installing the battery, you need to place the battery on its side. That means if I got the Yuasa battery below, I need to place it with the Logo and the writing facing up (the yellow tape should be facing the right side of the motorcycle). The positive terminal should be at the front of the bike (relative to the negative terminal).

image.png.709c3b299992feb28be37f3728eb97ed.png

nozeitgeist1800
15 hours ago, RM88 said:

it was a bit tight, but i actually have mine standing up normal, not on its side (cant access the button to jump the battery if its on its side). i remember it being a bit tight, but i was able to get the seat back on and off with no issues. that said, i might only have been able to fit it that way because i have a corbin saddle, which might have a bit more clearance under it than the stock seat

On 10/7/2022 at 5:03 PM, Triple Jim said:

I just read about the Antigravity battery.  I'm a little surprised that they're warranted for only 3 years, and that's a prorated warranty that gives you a discount from MSRP.  If it quits in a year and a half, you get a 50% discount from $199.99, so you have to pay $100 for a replacement.

They also have a list of things that void the warranty as well as the requirement that you send a copy of the original recript, and you use their claim form.

https://antigravitybatteries.com/downloads/AG-Warranty-ClaimForm-Powersports-Batteries.pdf

I'll probably go with something like this when it's time.  

Three year warranty is surprising, especially a prorated warranty. An old fashioned $40 lead acid battery will last 3 years easy. Hell, the lead acid in my pickup is over 8 yrs old and it barely gets driven. I thought longer life was supposed to be a big selling point. I'm not sure what the extra $150 dollars over a normal battery gets you. Interesting. 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2022 at 9:30 PM, tomlichu said:

at that point I'm better laying off the beer and shaving a few pounds off my belly

Hmmm Beer!!

On 10/8/2022 at 1:09 AM, AP996 said:

Buy the Li battery and lay off the beer for a even bigger difference 😀.

Hey wooh   WOOH  Dem dar are fighten words.

Just Kidding. 
I say go Scotch Single Malt.  😜

2022 Yamaha MT-07 Cyan Storm, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 [VN2000A], 1997 Yamaha YZF600R - Thundercat [project]

12 hours ago, nozeitgeist1800 said:

it was a bit tight, but i actually have mine standing up normal, not on its side (cant access the button to jump the battery if its on its side). i remember it being a bit tight, but i was able to get the seat back on and off with no issues. that said, i might only have been able to fit it that way because i have a corbin saddle, which might have a bit more clearance under it than the stock seat

That make sense, I have stock seat and I found that vertical placement of the battery caused a slight clearance issue (since it is 3.74" x 3.5"). If my cables were longer, I would be able to make it work by routing the cable through the side instead. I think RM88 has the wrong sized battery.

2 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Three year warranty is surprising, especially a prorated warranty. An old fashioned $40 lead acid battery will last 3 years easy. Hell, the lead acid in my pickup is over 8 yrs old and it barely gets driven. I thought longer life was supposed to be a big selling point. I'm not sure what the extra $150 dollars over a normal battery gets you. Interesting. 

Yep, my personal experience with lead is pretty good. My OEM battery for my prius died this year, and it was 8 years old. That is why I went with my cheapo battery, hard to justify the $150 difference in today's economy.

9 minutes ago, balkor2 said:

Just Kidding. 
I say go Scotch Single Malt.  😜

Oh yeah, its getting cold now so its time for some scotch.

• Like 2

On 10/7/2022 at 7:33 PM, TMTYWSH said:

Is this a no brainier ??

^^^ - This

amazon battery is cheaper, but I still think anti-grav is worth it

I have my theories ...
BUT seeking opinion.

What are the Pro / Con (minus weight) between

OEM [Lead Acid]

Gel

Lithium

2022 Yamaha MT-07 Cyan Storm, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 [VN2000A], 1997 Yamaha YZF600R - Thundercat [project]

M. Hausknecht

In my experience, Li-ion batteries hold their charge a little better than lead-acid and gel batteries. I use Li-ion batteries in my race bikes because they are lighter and smaller, while providing sufficient power. Be aware that Li-ion batteries need a compatible charger. I'm not convined the increased cost of a Li-ion battery, and another charger if what you already have cannot accommodate a  Li-ion battery, is worthwhile for a street bike.