The MT-07 Forum

Robem Tripple Clamps

Evill_Ed

Just now, Evill_Ed said:

Nope, parts are still in the boxes. 

Ed

Got ya.  Curious to see.

I just rode my "new" bike at the track last weekend.  The one with the Attack triple with 29mm offset and AP rear linkage.  We had to make a lot of adjustments, but after a few sessions, everything felt amazing, and I set a PB.  So I'm kind of "sold" on the after market triple clamp.  Front end was just killer.

So on my other bike's rebuild, I'm going to go ahead and get an aftermarket triple.  But it seems that Robem no longer offers one for the FZ with R6 forks (at least it's not on their site; I just wrote them to confirm).  So I may try another brand.

This Forsaken Motorsports one comes with all of the offset inserts, so that's a huge plus. https://www.forsakenmotorsports.com/products/yamaha-r6-triple-clamps

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 10/4/2022 at 1:09 AM, M. Hausknecht said:

I've got the Robem triples, with 26mmm offset, for my 41mm forks. Also using the AP MotoArts Gen 2 linkage and a KTech DDS Pro shock. I haven't tried a different fork offset but if I were so inclined, I'd try the 28mm offset (same as I've got on my Kramer). The bike handles well enough, and has no bad habits, but the "feel" of what the tires are doing is inferior to what I experience with the Kramer (not surprising that GP quality frame and components provide better feel). If you want measurements of anything, let me know.

When you say AP MotoArts Gen 2 linkage, are you referring to this piece?

Do you know the length of your shock eye to eye?

Ed

142639415_DogBone.JPG.d9cebd5f48ff36d781acd28083236a84.JPG

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

M. Hausknecht
4 hours ago, Evill_Ed said:

When you say AP MotoArts Gen 2 linkage, are you referring to this piece?

Do you know the length of your shock eye to eye?

Ed

142639415_DogBone.JPG.d9cebd5f48ff36d781acd28083236a84.JPG

Yes, that piece. My shock length is about 315mm. And don't forget, I run 180/60 rear tires, rather than the shorter, stock 180/55 rears so my rear ride height is kinda tall.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, M. Hausknecht said:

Yes, that piece. My shock length is about 315mm. And don't forget, I run 180/60 rear tires, rather than the shorter, stock 180/55 rears so my rear ride height is kinda tall.

Okay, so we have the same set up. My Razor RR is 315 mm and I run a 180/60. All in all I think the rear end works well. 

I was told that the dog bone we have really just increases swing arm angle, but the progression is not good for the track. The stock linkage was designed with two up riding in consideration, not single rider or track applications. 

Linkage kits like Robems have the dog bone and the pivot. They have better geometry and provide better progression and swing arm angle, plus you run a lighter spring. But they need shorter shocks, around 300 mm. 

I would consider the Robem linkage, but do not want to start from scratch and get a new shock too. 

I need to see if a good suspension person can rework my shock to shorten the overall length and add a eyelet end instead of the clevis.  

Or maybe just see the improvements from the better offset and trail numbers with the Robem triples this season and worry about the rear for next winters project. 

Ed

M. Hausknecht

Knuckle.jpg.4bfcb8762dbbe4207f215e73d6d33b2f.jpg

14 hours ago, Evill_Ed said:

Okay, so we have the same set up. My Razor RR is 315 mm and I run a 180/60. All in all I think the rear end works well. 

I was told that the dog bone we have really just increases swing arm angle, but the progression is not good for the track. The stock linkage was designed with two up riding in consideration, not single rider or track applications. 

Linkage kits like Robems have the dog bone and the pivot. They have better geometry and provide better progression and swing arm angle, plus you run a lighter spring. But they need shorter shocks, around 300 mm. 

I would consider the Robem linkage, but do not want to start from scratch and get a new shock too. 

I need to see if a good suspension person can rework my shock to shorten the overall length and add a eyelet end instead of the clevis.  

Or maybe just see the improvements from the better offset and trail numbers with the Robem triples this season and worry about the rear for next winters project. 

Ed

I wonder if we have the same thing. I have the piece in the photo you attached, plus a knuckle (with 3 sets of bearings) that is not the original Yamaha part but isn't the Robem knuckle. It is very nicely machined. I've thought it was just the second piece of AP's shock linkage. I have eyelets on both ends of my shock. See my attached photo of the knuckle and swingarm end of the shock.

As a general rule, I try to avoid making multiple simultaneous changes where I won't know which part caused what to change. That would be a reason to change triples only at this point; try them and see what has changed while leaving the back of the bike alone. On the other hand, if you go full Robem, Matt can give you solid recommendations on spring rate, shock length, fork height, and fork offset, and you'll have chassis geometry that is close to as good as it gets for these bikes. Swapping shocks and linkage isn't a big job (maybe an hour?), so you could try both setups this season, at least if you're willing to spend the money to have two shocks and sets of linkages. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, M. Hausknecht said:

Knuckle.jpg.4bfcb8762dbbe4207f215e73d6d33b2f.jpg

I wonder if we have the same thing. I have the piece in the photo you attached, plus a knuckle (with 3 sets of bearings) that is not the original Yamaha part but isn't the Robem knuckle. It is very nicely machined. I've thought it was just the second piece of AP's shock linkage. I have eyelets on both ends of my shock. See my attached photo of the knuckle and swingarm end of the shock.

As a general rule, I try to avoid making multiple simultaneous changes where I won't know which part caused what to change. That would be a reason to change triples only at this point; try them and see what has changed while leaving the back of the bike alone. On the other hand, if you go full Robem, Matt can give you solid recommendations on spring rate, shock length, fork height, and fork offset, and you'll have chassis geometry that is close to as good as it gets for these bikes. Swapping shocks and linkage isn't a big job (maybe an hour?), so you could try both setups this season, at least if you're willing to spend the money to have two shocks and sets of linkages. 

I only have the AP Dog Bone, not the pivot with the 3 sets of bearings. It is the pivot and dog bone combination that changes the progression rate. 

I will start with the triplles and see how that changes the handling characteristics of the bike. Later this season I will change the rear linkage to the Robem parts. Maybe go withthe Ohlins shock to match my fork cartridges. 

Thanks for the info.

Ed

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 2/21/2023 at 1:51 PM, jb.junior said:

Got ya.  Curious to see.

I just rode my "new" bike at the track last weekend.  The one with the Attack triple with 29mm offset and AP rear linkage.  We had to make a lot of adjustments, but after a few sessions, everything felt amazing, and I set a PB.  So I'm kind of "sold" on the after market triple clamp.  Front end was just killer.

So on my other bike's rebuild, I'm going to go ahead and get an aftermarket triple.  But it seems that Robem no longer offers one for the FZ with R6 forks (at least it's not on their site; I just wrote them to confirm).  So I may try another brand.

This Forsaken Motorsports one comes with all of the offset inserts, so that's a huge plus. https://www.forsakenmotorsports.com/products/yamaha-r6-triple-clamps

JB, is your AP rear link just the dog bone, or do you have the pivot (with the 3 bearings) too?

Ed

8 hours ago, Evill_Ed said:

JB, is your AP rear link just the dog bone, or do you have the pivot (with the 3 bearings) too?

Ed

Just the dogbone.  OEM pivot.

My other bike has [the "old"] Robem set up, which is both dogbone and pivot.

They honestly both feel pretty good.  I figured that I'd notice a difference and haven't.

Edited by jb.junior

On 3/6/2023 at 6:45 PM, Evill_Ed said:

Ed

I have the "old" Robem linkage, which does not have double-eye, and is made for a longer shock. I'm not sure if they offer this anymore, but you could ask, as it better suits your set up.

On 3/6/2023 at 5:22 PM, M. Hausknecht said:

My AP linkage looks like it was pre-production and "one off."  It measures 90mm, eye to eye.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, jb.junior said:

Just the dogbone.  OEM pivot.

My other bike has [the "old"] Robem set up, which is both dogbone and pivot.

They honestly both feel pretty good.  I figured that I'd notice a difference and haven't.

Yes, I think my rear suspension feels good too with the AP dog bone. Do you know how long your shock is eye to eye?

I got the K Tech Razor RR to go with AP dog bone, the longer shock is supposed to be what AP used on their bikes. My shock is 315mm eye to eye.

Ed

• Premium Member

I have the "old" Robem linkage, which does not have double-eye, and is made for a longer shock. I'm not sure if they offer this anymore, but you could ask, as it better suits your set up.

I think he only has the new style for use with a shorter shock with an eyelet instead of the clevis. 

• Premium Member

My AP linkage looks like it was pre-production and "one off."  It measures 90mm, eye to eye.

I think mine is 90 mm too, need ot check my notes.

Ed