The MT-07 Forum

Robem Tripple Clamps

Evill_Ed

• Premium Member

Does anyone have or have experience with Robem's  Adjustable Tripple Clamps (or any other Brand) for stock 41mm forks?

Looking to upgrade to a set, just curious what others are running and which offsets. Trying to determine which offset bushing sets to get.

Also looking for feedback on how they improved overall performance and any set up notes you may be willing to share.

Ed

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

M. Hausknecht

I've got the Robem triples, with 26mmm offset, for my 41mm forks. Also using the AP MotoArts Gen 2 linkage and a KTech DDS Pro shock. I haven't tried a different fork offset but if I were so inclined, I'd try the 28mm offset (same as I've got on my Kramer). The bike handles well enough, and has no bad habits, but the "feel" of what the tires are doing is inferior to what I experience with the Kramer (not surprising that GP quality frame and components provide better feel). If you want measurements of anything, let me know.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
Just now, M. Hausknecht said:

I've got the Robem triples, with 26mmm offset, for my 41mm forks. Also using the AP MotoArts Gen 2 linkage and a KTech DDS Pro shock. I haven't tried a different fork offset but if I were so inclined, I'd try the 28mm offset (same as I've got on my Kramer). The bike handles well enough, and has no bad habits, but the "feel" of what the tires are doing is inferior to what I experience with the Kramer (not surprising that GP quality frame and components provide better feel). If you want measurements of anything, let me know.

Thank you. I have the Razor RR Shock at 319 mm and AP original dog bone. This combo gives me 13 degree swing-arm angle. 

I was thinking  of the 26mm offsets as well. i was thinking of getting  25/27 and 24/28 to have for more tuning options and while they are available since they are specific to the clamps. 

Did you raise the fork tubes in the clamps at all as part of your tuning? Or do the different offsets correct that?

Ed

M. Hausknecht
3 hours ago, Evill_Ed said:

Thank you. I have the Razor RR Shock at 319 mm and AP original dog bone. This combo gives me 13 degree swing-arm angle. 

I was thinking  of the 26mm offsets as well. i was thinking of getting  25/27 and 24/28 to have for more tuning options and while they are available since they are specific to the clamps. 

Did you raise the fork tubes in the clamps at all as part of your tuning? Or do the different offsets correct that?

Ed

I hope this is helpful.

Fork offset is the biggest determinant of trail, which is the most significant factor in how the bike steers (does it tend to fall into corners versus does it need constant light pressure on the bars to retain lean angle, or right in between) and the feel you get through the bars when cornering. Generally, 24-28mm fork offset is the accepted range, with personal preference often dictating where in that range you're most comfortable. More offset yields less trail, and less offset yields more trail. Front and rear ride heights, raising and lowering, and tire diameter, also impact front trail but to a much lesser degree. Rear ride height is the primary determinant of anti-squat  for a bike with a fixed-position swing arm pivot, like the 07, so that usually leaves front ride height changes (forks up or down several millimeters) for fine tuning trail.

My shock length is about 315mm. The end of my fork tubes is 25mm above the upper edge of the upper triple clamp. I run no more than a inch of static sag front and rear. I  started with the fork ends at 20mm above the triple but I prefer the feel at 25mm (less trail and a smidgen more front end weight bias).  I use Pirelli slicks, 120/70 front and 180/60 rear. I'm comfortable with  the feel I have in the bars, notwithstanding that the front feels kinda numb. I attribute the latter primarily to flex in the forks and frame filtering out some of what could otherwise be felt in the bars, pegs, and seat. I've used Dunlop slicks as well, but prefer Pirelli; they are lighter in weight and seem to provide more warning than the Dunlops before they let go.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Yes, this info is very helpful, I appreciate you taking the time to share.

BTW- I'll be at NJMP 10/15 and 10/16, last dates of the year for me. 

Ed

M. Hausknecht
Just now, Evill_Ed said:

Yes, this info is very helpful, I appreciate you taking the time to share.

BTW- I'll be at NJMP 10/15 and 10/16, last dates of the year for me. 

Ed

Lemme know if you're ever headed to Summit Point or elsewhere to the south a bit. It would be nice to meet in person. Since I have to get around D.C., Baltimore, and Philly with a motorhome and a trailer, getting to NJMP isn't worth the effort to me these days.  Good luck!

• Premium Member
Just now, Tpadden said:

I run the 26mm offset as well.

Thank you. Can you share the rest of your set up? Rear shock, linkage? Any other form mods like tube height?

Ed

Just now, Evill_Ed said:

Thank you. Can you share the rest of your set up? Rear shock, linkage? Any other form mods like tube height?

Ed

Sure, Stock forks w Ktech internals raised 8mm (measured to top of fork tube, not cap) above Robem triples w 26mm offset insert.  KTech Razor RR out back w roaring toyz rear link.

Cheers,

Tim Padden

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Alright, I just placed my order. I got 26 mm. Also added 25/27 and 24/28. That should be plenty to play with.

Ed

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Next Question. I ordered the aluminum steering stem. What did you use for bearings? Stock or upgrade to All Balls Bearing Kit?

Ed

M. Hausknecht

Stock here, with aluminum stem. They'll eventually get some wear, years from now, and then I'll replace if I still have the bike and care.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, M. Hausknecht said:

Stock here, with aluminum stem. They'll eventually get some wear, years from now, and then I'll replace if I still have the bike and care.

Can you change offset bushings with the lower bearing on the stem? 
Are the bushings sets, upper and lower or does just one bushing change offset?

M. Hausknecht
4 hours ago, Evill_Ed said:

Can you change offset bushings with the lower bearing on the stem? 
Are the bushings sets, upper and lower or does just one bushing change offset?

I believe all of the adjustment is in the upper bushing.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, twf said:

Bushings are set, top and bottom and you change both. 

You don't have to take stem out of the frame to change bushings. 

Thank you Zoran.

Ed

• Premium Member

711542516_RobemTripple.thumb.jpg.88f45dcb62466c6800ba412d51be6f86.jpgGot 'em 👍

Ed

• Like 3

Dang, I wish I had seen this sooner. I have that exact set that Im getting ready to pull off the bike and sell. Im swapping the entire front end to the R7 front just to try something new for next year. Ill be listing the entire front end, forks with Ktech cartridges, triples, 2 front wheels, clip-ons ect..... 

That said, I ran the 26mm offsets on mine with the Robem rear link and liked it well enough. Im a gluten for punishment though and wanting to try new stuff all the time. LOL Good looking set you have there.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 10/12/2022 at 4:30 AM, cosp600rr said:

Dang, I wish I had seen this sooner. I have that exact set that Im getting ready to pull off the bike and sell. Im swapping the entire front end to the R7 front just to try something new for next year. Ill be listing the entire front end, forks with Ktech cartridges, triples, 2 front wheels, clip-ons ect..... 

That said, I ran the 26mm offsets on mine with the Robem rear link and liked it well enough. Im a gluten for punishment though and wanting to try new stuff all the time. LOL Good looking set you have there.

Sent you a PM

• 3 months later...

On the bike that I've raced the past two seasons.  I don't have many reference points, but what I will say is that my bike always felt amazing.  It turned in easily, had great rear grip, and excellent front end stability.

• Front:
    • OEM R6 triple with R6 forks and AK20 kit.  From what I understand, the OEM offset on the R6 triple is 30mm.  The Ak20 kit extends fork length by 10mm.  So these two facts alone probably make what I have not particularly useful corollaries if you're running the R7 front end, but I'll go ahead and finish the post just as general reference points. 
    • It also has Traxxion fork cap extenders.  I actually have the top of the actual fork tube recessed in the triple top by about 2-4mm (I'll measure when I take it apart this weekend).  See pic attached (I know that it looks like an aftermarket triple top, but it's actually just a OEM spec one.  I.e., OEM measurements and offset.)
    • .95 + .9 = .925 springs.
  • Rear:
    • Penske shock.  I don't know length.  But I ran a 625 lb. spring, and it was perfect (I weigh 165, and my bike is very, very light.)  Robem linkage.  I'd have to measure, but I have a lot of threads showing on the height adjuster.  
  • Misc.:
    • Between where my forks sit in the triple, and the threads showing on my rear shock, I've been told that my bike sits very high.  
    • Everyone tells me that I should have less offset, and that's what most run.  But this bike just felt amazing, so that's what I ran.  I did try to raise the forks / lower the triple by 5mm at MotoAmerica VIR, per someone's idea, but I washed the front end out and crashed in the race.  So I moved it right back.

I've put together a new chassis and will post it below.

IMG_6878 (2).JPG

Edited by jb.junior

New chassis:

• Front:
    • Attack R6 adjustable triple clamp.  With #2 insert, which reduces the 30mm OEM offset (I think?) by 1mm, so offset is now 29mm (I think I've calculated this correctly.  This is the link to the Attack offset inserts: https://attackyamaha.com/90110210-26.html).  So this set up will have less offset, and more trail, than my previous bike.  
    • 2016 R6 forks.  Andy Palmer K-Tech kit with Ohlins springs.  .95+.90 = .925.  He said this kit extends the forks by 10mm.  So springs and dimensions should be the same as other bike.
    • 5mm of fork tube sticking above triple clamp.  See pic.
  • Rear: 
    • OEM linkage with what seems to be a bespoke dogbone.  It measures 90mm eye to eye.  See pics. This was an early-era AP bike, so I think this was before he made the production linkages.  (The Robem dogbone measures 104mm, eye to eye, FYI.) So this bike's rear set up would be slightly less linear (more progressive) than my other bike with the Robem.  It currently has a 600 lb. spring, but I'm thinking that's too light, so I have a 650 ready to swap when I actually get to test it.
    • Penske rear shock.  I don't know the length.  But looking at both, I'd say it's the same as the Penske that's on my other bike. 
    • There's less threads showing on height adjuster, so it would see that it's sitting a bit lower than my other bike, then again, I don't know how this different linkage affects that.
  • Misc.:
    • So this bike is pretty close to my "old" bike, but has some differences: -1mm less offset (little more trail), different, less linear linkage, different spring.  Sitting a bit lower.
    • It's at the tuner now (delayed by this ice storm we're having in Texas... I was supposed to be on my way to Homestead today to test it...).  He's also the suspension tuner, and he advises that I just try the bike like it is and see how it feels.   Maybe it feels better than my old bike; maybe worse, and I'll be changing geometry and replacing parts to try to match the old one.  I'll keep you posted.

IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_1120.jpg

IMG_1121.jpg

Edited by jb.junior

M. Hausknecht

Hey JB. Running the front end as high as you do puts some trail back in the front end that is lost running the 30mm (versus  28mm) offset triples. You could switch to 28mm offset triples and then drop the front to end up with the same trail. My understanding is that the most competitive R7s in MA are running tall (extended R6 forks).

• Premium Member

Thanks JB, I appreciate the info. 

Ed

• Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 4:12 PM, M. Hausknecht said:

I hope this is helpful.

Fork offset is the biggest determinant of trail, which is the most significant factor in how the bike steers (does it tend to fall into corners versus does it need constant light pressure on the bars to retain lean angle, or right in between) and the feel you get through the bars when cornering. Generally, 24-28mm fork offset is the accepted range, with personal preference often dictating where in that range you're most comfortable. More offset yields less trail, and less offset yields more trail. Front and rear ride heights, raising and lowering, and tire diameter, also impact front trail but to a much lesser degree. Rear ride height is the primary determinant of anti-squat  for a bike with a fixed-position swing arm pivot, like the 07, so that usually leaves front ride height changes (forks up or down several millimeters) for fine tuning trail.

My shock length is about 315mm. The end of my fork tubes is 25mm above the upper edge of the upper triple clamp. I run no more than a inch of static sag front and rear. I  started with the fork ends at 20mm above the triple but I prefer the feel at 25mm (less trail and a smidgen more front end weight bias).  I use Pirelli slicks, 120/70 front and 180/60 rear. I'm comfortable with  the feel I have in the bars, notwithstanding that the front feels kinda numb. I attribute the latter primarily to flex in the forks and frame filtering out some of what could otherwise be felt in the bars, pegs, and seat. I've used Dunlop slicks as well, but prefer Pirelli; they are lighter in weight and seem to provide more warning than the Dunlops before they let go.

Yoshimura came out with an adjustable swing arm pivot, FYI: https://www.yoshimura-rd.com/products/yamaha-yzf-r7-swingarm-pivot-kit-450bg137200

And a bunch of other really good looking stuff, like a full titanium exhaust and engine parts.