The MT-07 Forum

Rookie Oil Change

greyMT07

Hi guys,

Did my first oil change today following the manual online. Replaced the filter at the same time with the Hiflo recommended in another thread.

My question is does the engine need to be run after the 2.6litre of oil is added before the glass will show full with the bike level? Currently it shows 'full' with 2.2l in it, I figured I should ask prior to starting the bike.

Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

Run the bike in Neutral for 10 seconds and the oil level should drop. Switch off and check oil level. Anywhere between the 2 lines is fine. Add more if needed.

sweetscience

Once the new oil has circulated and settled in the engine, after several minutes (5-10), recheck oil level.  Use a gradient measuring jug to get precise oil volume.  

Recheck for leaks before riding.

Check oil level with bike on paddock stand on level ground.  Use a level tool placed on top of gas tank for precise measurements.

Happy trails!

• Global Moderator

Do not check it on a paddock stand.  Have someone hold the bike up on two wheels (you can hold it yourself if you want, but I prefer to have someone else straddle it and hold it up as it is less precarious).  The paddock stand will lift the rear and the window will not be accurate. 

I suppose you could fill the oil correctly as mjh937 described, then put  the bike on the paddock stand and see the new level.  From then on you could fill the bike to that level while on the stand.  That assumes the level is still within the window.

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

Oil level is looking good now, as Oorah said I just needed to run the bike first which I assume causes the oil to be pushed into the filter (approx 400ml worth) and now it is spot on in the sight glass when level.

Use your phone (video or timer) to take a snap while you hold up the bike straight.