The MT-07 Forum

Longer gearing

Claude

2017 FZ07

Is there such thing as longer gearing available for FZ07?

I'm thinking at 17T/18T front or 42T/41T rear. Are such sprockets available? I'm asking as looks like JT do not make larger than 16 FR and smaller than 43 RR.

If there's a source for those sprockets, does someone knows what's the largest (front) and smallest (rear) that can be used with no rubbing issues?

Thanks!

I was interested too, so I looked it up.  Here in the U.S. Vortex makes a 17T countershaft sprocket PN #3291-17  Here is a link to a seller - click here.  Also can be found on ebay.  Supersprox does too selling on Amazon - click here.   Neither company lists the size so I'm not sure if it is 525.  Says it fits, but no size indication.

Apparently the sprocket will affect speedo reading, so something would be needed to deal with that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Claude said:

2017 FZ07

Is there such thing as longer gearing available for FZ07?

I'm thinking at 17T/18T front or 42T/41T rear. Are such sprockets available? I'm asking as looks like JT do not make larger than 16 FR and smaller than 43 RR.

If there's a source for those sprockets, does someone knows what's the largest (front) and smallest (rear) that can be used with no rubbing issues?

Thanks!

Just curious, why do you want taller gearing?

Just now, M. Hausknecht said:

Because I always did so on all my previous bikes (been riding for over 40 years now).

But for now, about the FZ07, I'm just searching what the options are, in case I ever decide to choose for longer gearing.

Edited by Claude

Just now, klx678 said:

Apparently the sprocket will affect speedo reading, so something would be needed to deal with that.

Speedo will be effected on non ABS bikes, bikes with ABS are uneffected as the speedo works off the wheel speed sensors.

• Like 2

Just now, klx678 said:

I was interested too, so I looked it up.  Here in the U.S. Vortex makes a 17T countershaft sprocket PN #3291-17  Here is a link to a seller - click here.  Also can be found on ebay.  Supersprox does too selling on Amazon - click here.   Neither company lists the size so I'm not sure if it is 525.  Says it fits, but no size indication.

Many thanks! I got on Vortex website and found three different front sprockets 17T models under "FZ07" search. I just emailed them to ask for the difference(s) between those three. Thanks again!

Just now, AP996 said:

Speedo will be effected on non ABS bikes, bikes with ABS are uneffected as the speedo works off the wheel speed sensors.

Great news!! This would have been a real concern but my bike has ABS so, pheeew!!

Thanks for this info!

@claude  Thanks for that information, my bike has ABS as well. 

Let me know if the #3291-17 is the 525 size.

Edited by klx678
  • Like 1

It's more about the sensory thing, the speed where everything just kind of settles in when rolling along not monitoring the speedo constantly.  I seem to settle at an rpm that has me going a bit slow when cruising, like 50-55 mph.  On my Nighthawk S that was around 75 mph oddly enough.  Then one time I rode a Vulcan Drifter demo, that sensory range was like 45 mph, barge-like.  Stepping it up a shade would put that rpm at a higher speed, which would be great.  Have that "right zone" at more like 60-65 mph, the actual enforced speed limits of most roads I'm on, you know, 5-10 mph over posted.  I know I could go a shade taller on the gearing, maybe gain a few mpg, although I am getting in the 50s regularly. 

Besides these tractor engines seem geared way low.  I started out from a traffic light the other day in third.  No problem, clutch fully engaged just past the other side of the intersection.  Starting in second is easier than starting in first on the MotoGuzzi had...  Since I'm not all about coming off the line drag racing and find that the bike could easily pull taller gearing, along with my past experience and riding style, going a shade taller would be good for me.  Not a lot, but some.  I have to think one tooth on the countershaft sprocket would be great.  

Edited by klx678

Just now, klx678 said:

It's more about the sensory thing, the speed where everything just kind of settles in when rolling along not monitoring the speedo constantly.  I seem to settle at an rpm that has me going a bit slow when cruising, like 50-55 mph.  On my Nighthawk S that was around 75 mph oddly enough.  Then one time I rode a Vulcan Drifter demo, that sensory range was like 45 mph, barge-like.  Stepping it up a shade would put that rpm at a higher speed, which would be great.  Have that "right zone" at more like 60-65 mph, the actual enforced speed limits of most roads I'm on, you know, 5-10 mph over posted.  I know I could go a shade taller on the gearing, maybe gain a few mpg, although I am getting in the 50s regularly. 

Besides these tractor engines seem geared way low.  I started out from a traffic light the other day in third.  No problem, clutch fully engaged just past the other side of the intersection.  Starting in second is easier than starting in first on the MotoGuzzi had...  Since I'm not all about coming off the line drag racing and find that the bike could easily pull taller gearing, along with my past experience and riding style, going a shade taller would be good for me.  Not a lot, but some.  I have to think one tooth on the countershaft sprocket would be great.  

That all makes sense to me. My own street bike experience has been with bikes ranging in size from 900 to 1100cc, so I've never felt the need for taller gearing than stock. 

That all makes sense to me. My own street bike experience has been with bikes ranging in size from 900 to 1100cc, so I've never felt the need for taller gearing than stock. 

It isn't about engine size, it's just kind of a feel you get from the engine.  The naked GL1100s I had felt right around 3500-4000 rpm which was I think like 65-70 mph.  My Nighthawk S 700 if I wasn't careful, would be running around 75-80 mph at around 5000-5500 rpm, just that point where the engine felt right.  The XSR spot where engine feels just right, I think around 4500 rpm seems to be significantly lower speed at that point and it can easily pull taller gears to put that spot at a higher speed.   A change of 5-10 mph in said sweet zone for me would work fine.   I'm not afraid to shift or let the bike rev, so it's not like I'm trying to run too low an rpm, it's just that "cruisin' along" speed where you're not really constantly monitoring speed.   Don't want other vehicles running up my butt.

I have a feeling if I rode a 900 that sweet spot could just put me into the "big fine" territory, one of the reasons why I like the 700 and wouldn't be totally heart broken to thrash a 500cc version around the back roads.   

If the bike had required a speedo healer I'd not bother, but if it's just swapping out a $35 sprocket I'm in.

Edited by klx678

Just now, klx678 said:

@claude  Thanks for that information, my bike has ABS as well. 

Let me know if the #3291-17 is the 525 size.

Here's the info they just sent me:

3291 = 520 pitch

3567 = 525 pitch

3516 = 530 pitch

@claude So we'd need the #3567-17 if they make it.  The places I've checked said it doesn't fit the XSR700 or the MT-07, yet Vortex says it does fit.  I found one on ebay for around $33 total in the U.S.  I have no idea where you are if that will work for you.   I put it on my watch list, possibly they may come back with a bit of discount in a week.

Edited by klx678

I found one in a catalog of my local dealer so I ordered it.

I'm in eastern Canada and supplier I ordered from is Parts Canada 

In fact, Vortex is the only supplier we found in my dealer's the 4-5 catalogs that supply a 17T sprocket for the FZ07.

Here's a picture of the related page into Parts Canada catalog.

I ordered #1212-1544 which corresponds to Vortex # 3567-17 (There was a picture on Parts Canada showing the Vortex sprocket with its p/n stamped on it).

As you can see, it's supposed to also fits on FJ-09, FZ-10, MT-07 & MT-10.

2022-09-26_15-57-25.jpg

Edited by Claude

1 hour ago, Claude said:

Because I always did so on all my previous bikes (been riding for over 40 years now).

But for now, about the FZ07, I'm just searching what the options are, in case I ever decide to choose for longer gearing.

It's  nice to  know your options. 

When I got my MT-07 I planned to get taller gearing too, but in the couple years I've had it I think I've decided to stick with stock for now.  I greatly prefer back roads, and as such tend to stay below 60 mph.   Coincidentally it's right around 60 that I start to get a little buzzy feel.  I think if I planned a cross-country ride on highways I'd probably go taller, but for now stock is pretty nice.

• Like 1

Just now, Triple Jim said:

It's  nice to  know your options. 

When I got my MT-07 I planned to get taller gearing too, but in the couple years I've had it I think I've decided to stick with stock for now.  I greatly prefer back roads, and as such tend to stay below 60 mph.   Coincidentally it's right around 60 that I start to get a little buzzy feel.  I think if I planned a cross-country ride on highways I'd probably go taller, but for now stock is pretty nice.

As I wrote above, I always gear up my motorcycles. And all of them were 1000+ cc. I do so because I'm sedate rider and always like to have low engine revs.

I'll have soon the 17T sprocket and after a few rides on my FZ07 (I'll have it in a few weeks), I'll decide what gearing I want. If I prefer to stay with stock gearing, I'll simply use the 17T front with a 45 or 46T rear. If not, I'll use 17/43T for lowered revs.

Just now, Claude said:

As I wrote above, I always gear up my motorcycles.

Yes, I saw that.  I've done that to a most of mine too.  My '72 Kawasaki H2 is very pleasant to ride at highway speeds now.  I geared it to put 4th gear where stock 5th was, so now I have the extra gear I was always looking for.

nozeitgeist1800
4 hours ago, klx678 said:

@claude So we'd need the #3567-17 if they make it.  The places I've checked said it doesn't fit the XSR700 or the MT-07, yet Vortex says it does fit.  I found one on ebay for around $33 total in the U.S.  I have no idea where you are if that will work for you.   I put it on my watch list, possibly they may come back with a bit of discount in a week.

websites are super f@#ky about which sprockets fit our bikes. i had a tough time finding anything that was 525 because a lot of the aftermarket sites want to put 520 pitch sprockets as what fits our bikes. its definitely worth double checking the fitment charts, with a grain of salt. even the yamaha dealer near me had trouble changing the search to show 525 stuff

4 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

Yes, I saw that.  I've done that to a most of mine too.  My '72 Kawasaki H2 is very pleasant to ride at highway speeds now.  I geared it to put 4th gear where stock 5th was, so now I have the extra gear I was always looking for.

That "extra gear" is kind of what I'm looking at too.   If the bike comes away from a stop with nearly no clutch slippage it can take a bit taller gearing and 6th gear will feel like 6th gear, not 5th.

• Like 1

Just now, klx678 said:

That "extra gear" is kind of what I'm looking at too.   If the bike comes away from a stop with nearly no clutch slippage it can take a bit taller gearing and 6th gear will feel like 6th gear, not 5th.

Exactly. My current ride (2017 Versys 1000) if fitted with +1/-2 combo and I can start in 3rd (with very little slippage) from a complete stop. Doing the same in 2nd gear is as easy as in 1st gear. 3500 RPM @ 100 km/hr (62 MPH).

• Like 1