The MT-07 Forum

Resistance, anchors and the throttle.

00RAH

Say you wanna open a jar, you grab the jar and twist the lid.

You cannot just twist the lid coz the lid would spin with the jar and would not open.

You need an anchor point.

Now..

When you press your foot on the gas pedal in a car, your heel is anchored to the floor.

On a motorcycle throttle we dont have that anchor point.

My suggestion is you shift your hand out to the bar end and create an anchor point.

From here you can turn the throttle and have physical knowledge as to how far its turning,  Instead of relying solely on the RPMs.

Here is a diagram.

Screenshot_20220923-133859_Samsung Notes.jpg

This technique is dedicated to new riders and friends of new riders.

Ps. Ride a push bike for exercise, preferably a BMX with vertical bars :)

Edited by 00RAH

• Global Moderator

That was an especially good batch of brownies I bought from those nice neighbor kids

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is this what they call the Ice-Cone-Grip...Ice cream grip...ice cream cone grip?

Edited by ElGonzales

• Global Moderator
4 hours ago, 00RAH said:

images.jpeg

images (1).jpeg

images (2).jpeg

Does rider have any choice but shift his grip? His body position damn near skimming the tarmac, puts his lower arm / wrist in this position - no choice on riders part?

I'm going to try this on next run to store for ice cream

• Like 1

M. Hausknecht
Just now, Pursuvant said:

Does rider have any choice but shift his grip? His body position damn near skimming the tarmac, puts his lower arm / wrist in this position - no choice on riders part?

I've heard the grip described as the way you hold a screwdriver. It allows the rider's elbow to bend fully, to accommodate the rider's upper body moving fully to the inside. At my age, I'm not sure I'll ever learn to use this grip correctly. 

• Global Moderator
Just now, M. Hausknecht said:

I've heard the grip described as the way you hold a screwdriver. It allows the rider's elbow to bend fully, to accommodate the rider's upper body moving fully to the inside. At my age, I'm not sure I'll ever learn to use this grip correctly. 

It's ok. As they say "age & treachery will overcome youth and skill"

M. Hausknecht
Just now, Pursuvant said:

It's ok. As they say "age & treachery will overcome youth and skill"

I wish..... I've been racing against 12-15 year olds who weigh 60-80lbs less than me and have been racing competitively for half their lives. I raced against Tommy and Nicky Hayden when they were young teenagers; lotsa kids these days showing nearly equivalent skills.

• Like 3

On 9/23/2022 at 1:10 PM, 00RAH said:

Say you wanna open a jar, you grab the jar and twist the lid.

You cannot just twist the lid coz the lid would spin with the jar and would not open.

You need an anchor point.

Now..

When you press your foot on the gas pedal in a car, your heel is anchored to the floor.

On a motorcycle throttle we dont have that anchor point.

My suggestion is you shift your hand out to the bar end and create an anchor point.

From here you can turn the throttle and have physical knowledge as to how far its turning,  Instead of relying solely on the RPMs.

Here is a diagram.

Screenshot_20220923-133859_Samsung Notes.jpg

This technique is dedicated to new riders and friends of new riders.

Ps. Ride a push bike for exercise, preferably a BMX with vertical bars :)

That's actually legit IMO. Dirt bikes over rough chop can have you going beserk on the throttle, especially if you're standing. Dragging your pinky up against the barkbuster will stabilize your hamf. Do the same with barend mirrors if you aren't running bar ends. Before going to delrin slider things on my bar ends I noticed the paint wearing down on the stock bar ends. I agree that this is a useful technique and something that I assumed many people did anyway. 

100% of the time in traffic? Not really. But once you get used to a certain hand position even a 1/2" shift feels really weird, so you end up locking in to a groove automatically. 

Just now, M. Hausknecht said:

I wish..... I've been racing against 12-15 year olds who weigh 60-80lbs less than me

A dirt bike buddy was accusing my bike of being slower than advertised because our drag races were neck and neck. We swapped bikes and he looped mine. 

"This thing is strong! You were sandbagging!" 

Nah, man. I weigh 80lbs more than you. 

M.Hausknecht, I know exactly what you mean 😁

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Pursuvant said:

This grip ( now of YouTube fame...) really only works with clipons. If you tried to follow the " You're Riding Your Bike Wrong" grip on a normal set of high bars your elbows would be clipping mirrors on passing vehicles, if you could even get your arms splayed out wide enough in the first place. 

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 2

• Global Moderator

Good post ooRAH, I've not seen this grip B4.

image.png.4f37e8ccbe080171dc78686ff384c17e.png

Awesome photo to go with it!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...