The MT-07 Forum

How To: Lift the Back of Bike for Suspension Swap

nacler

Anyone have ideas/solutions for getting the back of the bike off the ground? I have a paddock stand and axle spools on the back, but thats not helpful for a suspension swap. I have a hydraulic lift I could perhaps use. I saw one guy rigged something with a ladder and rachets.

Just now, nacler said:

Anyone have ideas/solutions for getting the back of the bike off the ground? I have a paddock stand and axle spools on the back, but thats not helpful for a suspension swap. I have a hydraulic lift I could perhaps use. I saw one guy rigged something with a ladder and rachets.

I just ask about this the other day. I needed to change my tire and I didn’t have a ladder available. I ended up buying one this morning and lifting it with ratchet straps like usual. I don’t know where others hook it, but I hook the straps on the top of the rear peg mount. Just be careful not to pinch the hose going to the break Reservoir.

• Global Moderator

I used a paddock stand and then put a car jack with a price of wood under the muffler to take the weight off the shock when I replaced it.  That worked well for me. 

• Like 1

Pitbull motorcycle jack-stands.  Prop em under the passenger pegs.  Used in conjunction with paddock stands and Pitbull tire changer, makes the job a breeze.  Solid construction, without fear of dropping the bike.  Can also be used for checking/servicing everything else on the bike, pretty much.

• 5 months later...
Vestal James

I also used jack-stands under the passenger pegs (or, rather, the passenger peg brackets) to effect a shock-replacement, the initial lift being managed with a paddock stand. The replacement shock is a K-tech Razor, which I dialed back 3 turns--I'm too old for the track and like my comfort.