The MT-07 Forum

Issue on my 19's MT07

Shyan

It just happened randomly.. In the morning while I try to start my bike, sometime it just got "TAK" sound but refused to start, but in second  or third attempt, it start normally. I've able to record down the event and send to my mechanical and he said that 99% is the starter relay issue... My MT's is facelift model/2019 model but made in May 2021 (Thanks to my country always delay on new bike..)

I just wonder is my MT's starter relay start making issue/warns me before it totally down? Any ways to test out the starter relay to confirm it is faulty or something?

I have tested my battery which is 12.4volt before starting the bike and when the bike in 1.5-6k rpm's it has 14.6 volt. 

Edited by Shyan

12.4V is a little low for a healthy battery, although it's usually enough to run the starter.  The best way to confirm it's not a battery issue first is to run a load test on it.  While doing that you should check all connections at the terminals for a clean and tight fit. 

If my memory serves me correctly a proper 12 Volt battery is to have between 13.7 ~ 14.7 volts (Automotive).

I imagine there is a difference between a Car electrical system and Motorcycle electrical system [Stator vs Alternator]

So that being said, 12.4 seems a slightly low but might work but not sure.

Edited by balkor2
Content

2022 Yamaha MT-07 Cyan Storm, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 [VN2000A], 1997 Yamaha YZF600R - Thundercat [project]

Do you have a lead acid battery or lithium? Is it cold where you are? 

If lithium, your initial attempt to start the bike is possibly putting enough load on the battery to warm it enough to then be useful. They don't like cold and these headlights won't come on to load the battery like older bikes. LED taillight also works against us in that regard. 

If lead acid, 12.4 isn't alarming, but it's worth load testing. I'd clean and tighten all connections first. 

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2022 at 1:01 PM, shinyribs said:

Do you have a lead acid battery or lithium? Is it cold where you are? 

If lithium, your initial attempt to start the bike is possibly putting enough load on the battery to warm it enough to then be useful. They don't like cold and these headlights won't come on to load the battery like older bikes. LED taillight also works against us in that regard. 

If lead acid, 12.4 isn't alarming, but it's worth load testing. I'd clean and tighten all connections first. 

Nope..my place is always 28c and above..  Is just lead acid battery. I did done a CCA test seems fine.

• Like 1