The MT-07 Forum

What are some of the genius ways y’all have found to lift your rear end?

Mt707

I usually just use a ladder and some ratchet straps, but I just moved and my ladder is in storage. I just got home and noticed I’m down to wires on my rear and I’m trying to figure out how I’m ganna get my tire off with out having to go spend more money on stuff I’m only ganna use once. I know y’all get pretty creative when it comes to working on these things. 

Also is 13.5k decent for these road 5’s? I might be trippin but I though I read somewhere people getting roughly 20 k out of em…

• Global Moderator
Just now, Mt707 said:

I’m ganna get my tire off with out having to go spend more money on stuff I’m only ganna use once

Maybe a reality check - you only expect to lift the rear once ? Are you going to lube/clean your chain regularly? Change oil? Spark plugs? New drive sprockets & chain? My point is lifting the bike on it's centerline makes most things easier.

The price of spools & track bike lift are cheap compared to the value of your time, IMO.

That said, I still like to see how creative everyone is with home brew lifts

• Like 1

Just now, Pursuvant said:

Maybe a reality check - you only expect to lift the rear once ? 

I shoulda been more clear, I’m only expecting to lift it this one time until I get back to Cali and get the rest of my stuff out of storage. And spools and a lift are on the to do list, Ive just been putting them off since a ladder and straps have been sufficient enough. I guess now would be a good time to order but my bike is my main transportation and they won’t be here in time for me to goto work on Tuesday.

Edited by Mt707

I have the XSR and made two investments well worth it - the spool/chain adjusters from Gilles (Bellissimoto purchase same as Yamaha sells), a rear lift stand, and, more recently, a steering stem lift so I can remove both wheels at the same time or can remove the front wheel to do my forks.   

The spool set up allows axle removal where those ones that go through the axle don't.   It's a shame Yamaha didn't just put spool mount points on the swing arm in the first place, especially for the FZ/MT.