The MT-07 Forum

Rear Ride Height

sweetscience

Ok, so I'm in the process of installing a fully adjustable Bitubo shock.  I want to raise the rear ride height about 10 mm.  Now my question is do I lengthen or shorten the eyelet length.  Stock linkages.  

Is a 10 mm rear increase in ride height noticeable in turns?  Is it too much of a change for high speed stability @90mph?

Edited by sweetscience
correction

The Extreme Creations lowering link which also has a raising options as well although it's 25 mm.  I have this on my FZ and it is so well made, it's arguably artwork. Do some digging in this forum and you can learn more. BTW, the price on their website is in AUD, the US is $173 which includes the seals and bearings which I would recommend you let them do.

https://www.extremecreations.com.au/mt-07-jack-up-plates

I have my shock length set at 315mm eye to eye, suits me well, bike turns quicker, stability ok, handlebars can get a little exited under hard acceleration on bumpy roads and at high speeds (100 mph +) when your body is catching a lot of wind and making the front light, easily remedied by hunching down over the front.
All adds to the fun.

• Like 2

I set the shock eyelet length to 315mm.  I'll hold off on the aftermarket linkages, without further testing.  

Traxxion AR25 kit arrived, waiting for different bushings (MT-09) for the forks before install.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FZ not MT said:

The Extreme Creations lowering link which also has a raising options as well although it's 25 mm.  I have this on my FZ and it is so well made, it's arguably artwork. Do some digging in this forum and you can learn more. BTW, the price on their website is in AUD, the US is $173 which includes the seals and bearings which I would recommend you let them do.

https://www.extremecreations.com.au/mt-07-jack-up-plates

Did you buy the linkage to increase ride height, in conjunction with aftermarket shock?  Or for lowering?

10 hours ago, sweetscience said:

Ok, so I'm in the process of installing a fully adjustable Bitubo shock.  I want to raise the rear ride height about 10 mm.  Now my question is do I lengthen or shorten the eyelet length.  Stock linkages.  

Is a 10 mm rear increase in ride height noticeable in turns?  Is it too much of a change for high speed stability @90mph?

This can be confusing to think about because the linkages often move in weird ways, but the best way to keep it straight in our head is the spring of a shock always compresses on compression. When you hit a bump and the swingarm goes up in to the bike, the shock compresses, or gets shorter. 

So,

Shorter shock length= lower ride height 

Longer shock length= higher ride height 

10mm is big enough of a difference to be worth experimenting with, but it's shouldn't be so drastic as to be dangerous. But that's a general statement that doesn't take in to account how much sag your are sitting at with your front forks at the moment. If your fork sag is currently lower, and/or your forks are pushed up through the yokes, both of these things effectively lower the ride height in the front. So if your front is riding low already, raising the rest could get things out of hand quicker than normal. All you can really do is proceed with caution and test it out slowly until you see what's up. 

Apples to oranges as the chassis' are completely different, but I'm running my FZ 09 with the forks at stock height and the rear up 15mm. It made a world of difference. But, I ran my FZ 07 at stock ride height front and rear and my 07 would EASILY out corner my 09. Both with aftermarket suspension at both ends. My opinion, the 07 chassis doesn't need ride pitch adjustments for general/ hard street use. 

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 1

Just now, sweetscience said:

Did you buy the linkage to increase ride height, in conjunction with aftermarket shock?  Or for lowering?

I'm a short guy, so it was purchased for that purpose. I did add a Bitubo XZE11 shock though and a set of Michelin PR4's which together further raised the seat height, which is why I got the lowering link.

If I remember correctly the Bitubo had 10 mm of adjustment. Unfortunately for me, that 10 mm was to raise the seat height only. 

Hope that helps

nozeitgeist1800
On 9/17/2022 at 2:58 AM, sweetscience said:

are you just looking to increase ride height for comfort or for a difference in handling? if your goal is just for the bike to be taller for comfort's sake, might be worth looking into a corbin saddle. im 6'4", and after getting the saddle i can only JUST flat foot while stopped, feels like the perfect height and position for me without changing geometry of the bike a bunch

The ergonomics are fine for me at 5'6".  Just wanting to experiment with handling. 

Corbin's are great, but not a fan of their style for this bike.  Why don't they make a single seat?