The MT-07 Forum

MT-07 Ride By Wire

RaceTrec

Hello!

I no longer have my MT-07 and I have to say I do miss it quite a bit. I did a lot of mods, including tuning it up to 86hp. But one of the most enjoyable and cool things I did to my bike was to convert it to Ride By Wire. As far as I know, no one has done this before.

The conversion allowed the following:

•  Controlling engine breaking amount
  • Cruise control
  • Wheelie control (done with a Bosch IMU)
  • Proper launch control (actually limits the power)
  • Traction control (this was done like the MT-09 and MT-10 using the ABS sensors)
  • Autoblipper
  • Quickshifter
  • Engine warmup
  • Toggle between A2 and unrestricted
  • Riding modes like a rain mode

This system worked really well, since I no longer own my MT-07 I thought I could at least share it. Here is a video and a photo from when I was still developing it. Right now it just lives on my desk.

IMG_3327.jpg

Edited by RaceTrec
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Pursuvant said:

If it's not a commercial product, give us a good read plz

9 hours ago, AP996 said:

More details please if possible.

Sure guys! I will not make it a commercial product. The core of the operation is the housing you see on the throttle body. It contains a servo motor that drives the valves and a hall effect sensor that sits on a wheel that is driven by the original cable. So installing/uninstalling the core takes about 2 minutes. The most challenging thing here was to get good spring and feel in the cable driven portion. The servo part of it was basically just a matter of removing play. Here is the final version that was used.

IMG_3256.jpg

IMG_3257.jpg

As you can see, the roller had to be stabilized with bearings and guides to make it "feel good" when you used the throttle, this was very important. It also had to be very "tight" not not jam up when you had the spring in. It also had to be very tiny, with the spring being under the roller you see on the picture as otherwise I would have to replace the throttle cables as the lengths would be to off.

Below is a video of my first version getting the valves driven by the servo. This was far from working as a full system but still a cool video.

The wiring got complex really quick due to all my features. It was also a PAIN to find all the connectors in the OEM bike. This is because I wanted it plug and play so I can just plug it in between my ABS sensors without having to modify anything. Below is a PDF of all the wiring.

https://racetrec.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/RaceTrec_RBW_Harness.pdf

All of this was driven by a ESP32 microcontroller, it had to interface with the bike via CAN and OBD2 to read things like current gear etc. The IMU was a integral part of creating wheelie control, I used a BNO080 and it worked really well.

On the software side, the most difficult thing was the timing for the autoblipper, it had to be very precisely tuned which took quite a lot of time. Engine breaking was also a pain to tune. But I did really get it perfect.

Any more questions, I am happy to answer!

Edited by RaceTrec
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, AP996 said:

Wow, I’m impressed, must of been a hell of a lot of work to figure all that out and get it working.

Some parts more difficult than others. Hardware took me about 2 months to get just perfect. But I had it working within 1 week I believe. The software was very iterative. I remember finding the connectors was like 1 week of work haha. But as soon as I found that basically all connectors are made by these two japanese companies Furukawa Electric and Sumitomo Electric it was easy to match up all the connectors. It was a very fun project.

15 hours ago, stickshift said:

Such a cool project, well done!

Did you use a stepper motor for the throttle bodies? Details?

What will you work on next?

Nope, I just used a 5v servo. I think Yamaha does use stepper motors and thus they need a separate TPS. I just used a 5v servo so I got positioning included. It also made it quite easy because I did not have to springload the valves like Yamaha does (perhaps it's a safety thing from yamaha?), it's only positioned with the servo. The biggest factor I ran into when choosing the servo was getting a fast enough one, because I wanted good throttle response I got a servo that could open pretty much instantly.

As for what I will work on next I'm not quite sure. I think I am done creating things for the MT-07. I did create a airbox replacement which I sell and am quite proud of. But I don't think you will see anything more cool for the MT-07. I have a MT-10 right now and not sure I will even create anything spectacular for that bike. It's pretty perfect as is once tuned and modded.

10 hours ago, sweetscience said:

Take my money!  I'm here just for the cruise control!

If you had owned a MT-09 I could have created a cruise control easily by modifying the APS values. But this system where you have to convert the whole bike is so complex to manufacture, assemble and has a ton of moving parts. It's also a safety concern that I don't want to put on anyone else than myself. If my system fails your bike might go full throttle, not optimal.

Thanks all for the nice feedback! I love to answer your questions :)

Edited by RaceTrec
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Man, I am so thoroughly impressed by this.  Thank you so much for putting this information out there; I had never even thought of this, but now that I've seen it, I have to do it!  Do you have a github page or anything with more details on how you put all of this together? I would like to try doing this myself on my '18 MT07, but I am just now learning microcontrollers (bought an arduino starter kit a few weeks ago that I've been working through).  Thanks again for the inspiration

• Global Moderator
1 hour ago, swess88 said:

Man, I am so thoroughly impressed by this.  Thank you so much...(bought an arduino starter kit a few weeks ago that I've been working through).  Thanks again for the inspiration

May I suggest that the cost of every bike modification is the next best opportunity that could have been done but was not chosen.

If you were to take this on, what mods will you forgo because of time, effort, and $$$ invested in this experience?

There's a long list of mods on this site that could provide what others here would consider a better return on investment. Right up front is the option to sell your bike and move into a 900 for a Yamaha supported and warrantied ride with lots of r&d behind that, and ridable features you value.

What is the unseen cost of this? Your mods perhaps would turn most buyers south rather than inherit the educational opportunity. Effective resale value approaches $0 for most of the public, I suggest.

Is there any class of moto problems that are more problem laiden/difficult to eval & solve than electrical? Adding ecu intervention is a new ++level of "learning". Electrons have always been hard to wrench on, more so for new riders.

If your personal experience enrichment is the only goal with $$$ be damned, then by all means follow your heart. But for every love there is a dozen stories of "love lost". I would regret to read a post in the future, where this bike becomes a "love but lost" story.

• 3 weeks later...
Kargaburun5

I had thought modifying the throttle body with a servo to implement auto blip downshift a few years ago as i want this feature the most on MT-07. There is quite a literature on this topic (electronic throttle body) on internet.

As you said safety is a major concern. It would take too much time and probably still not safe.

Congratulations. Not an easy task.