The MT-07 Forum

Tesla Autopilot Dangerous for Motorcyclists?

bornagainbiker

Yes, sometimes I would weave erratically to deter tailgaters, or make myself more visible. 

The AI driving technology is far from perfection, although is foolproof in the Matrix.

I tell you what, I give the same extended following distance to a tesla as I do to a motorcycle when driving.  Tesla drivers don't use brakes when slowing, hence no brake lights activated.  Why?  I never driven a tesla or any EV,  so I don't know how much engine braking they have, but I believe it has something to do with the regenerating power to recharge the batteries when decelerating.   Damn easy to accidentally rear end 'em.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
firstyammerha

I'm thinking of going to an ev for my next car and while researching all the different brands and models on UTube, I have never heard any of the drivers comment on the actuation of the brake lights when the regeneration process takes place. Guess you just have to stay on your toes following one of these vehicles. 

• Like 1

The brake light should come on when the car is made to slow down, whether it's brakes or regeneration "braking". 

• Like 2

Just now, firstyammerha said:

I'm thinking of going to an ev for my next car and while researching all the different brands and models on UTube, I have never heard any of the drivers comment on the actuation of the brake lights when the regeneration process takes place. Guess you just have to stay on your toes following one of these vehicles. 

If you are the type of person who keeps a car for 10+ years, I'd hold off on any EV until replacement battery prices come down.  But if you are always changing cars, like every 5 years max, then go for it.

I always find it amusing reading about stories where people buy a used EV only to find out they need to replace the battery block for 10k for a cheapie like Volt or Leaf and Tesla's is what, 25k? 

Edited by yamahazaki

• Global Moderator

I would not want an electric car in my garage.  It would have to live outside as the fire risk is too great for me to be comfortable. 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
firstyammerha

I had a Juicebox40 ev charger installed in the garage in preparation for an ev resident sometime in the future. I've been researching ev's and there are YouTubers posting reports of ten year old Nissan Leafs where the cars have 80% or so battery life remaining after 100K miles of use. The one that I watched had a range of about 70 miles from its old battery. The Leaf of that generation was only good for about 150 miles or so new. Cost was about $4000 IIRC. With Chrysler and GM getting out of ICE cars and trucks in the near future we should start paying attention to our next four wheel transport. Not to mention that we can tell OPEC to stuff it where the sun don't shine.

nozeitgeist1800
5 hours ago, firstyammerha said:

Not to mention that we can tell OPEC to stuff it where the sun don't shine.

only if the power stations that your building pulls from dont run on oil based products. every power plant near me does, so every ev ends up running on gas anyway, just with more steps involved

• Like 2

Are auto pilots dangerous to bicyclists and pedestrians as well as motorcyclists.

Until everything can communicate and locate one another I just don't see how it can work.  That and the manufacturer spend the money to make them safe.   I understand Tesla skipped out on using sonar because of cost.   Must be using the same kind of evaluation Ford did with the Pinto fuel tank setup.   How many lives is it worth to not bother with sonar to pick up objects in front of an autopilot car?  I guess we'd have to ask Elon Musk that question.

• Like 1

Just now, nozeitgeist1800 said:

only if the power stations that your building pulls from dont run on oil based products. every power plant near me does, so every ev ends up running on gas anyway, just with more steps involved

Still need petroleum for things like tires, the grease in the bearings, the insulation on all that wiring, the upholstery, the carpet, the vast majority of the interior. The list goes on and on. 

Unless we go back to stuffing seats with horse hair and wearing shoes with leather soles and only use paper/wood packaging...we have no soapbox to stand on. Animals and trees are renewable resources BTW. 

I like the Tesla owner that got a bunch of hate for running a license plate frame that said the car was powered by coal. Because it was, because coal is how his local electricity supplier generated their power. 

On 10/22/2022 at 6:07 AM, mjh937 said:

I would not want an electric car in my garage.  It would have to live outside as the fire risk is too great for me to be comfortable. 

I can't and won't claim to understand everything about these batteries. I see the RC guys installing steel lockers for charging batteries because of the fire risk. Never seen any of them put their phone in there overnight. 

Every cellphone and laptop I've owned in the past couple decades have been fine. Plug it in on the end table and go to sleep. Then walk around all day with it in your pants. Or with one strapped to the side of your helmet. 

Bigger batteries are obviously a bigger concern. But how many times have you fallen asleep on the couch with a plugged in device in your hand/lap after a late night YouTube rabbit hole journey? 

Edited by shinyribs

• Global Moderator

@shinyribs, a friend of mine had his Apple laptop battery catch fire about two years ago.  He saw it expanding and took it outside before it started.  At least with small electronics you can do that.  If the car in the garage catches fire it is probably not going to be possible to move it and it is going to a lot larger fire.  I will pass on that technology. 

• Like 1

On 11/16/2022 at 7:14 PM, mjh937 said:

@shinyribs, a friend of mine had his Apple laptop battery catch fire about two years ago.  He saw it expanding and took it outside before it started.  At least with small electronics you can do that.  If the car in the garage catches fire it is probably not going to be possible to move it and it is going to a lot larger fire.  I will pass on that technology. 

Well, that was an Apple product, so... Chinese 😁 

Joking aside, you're right though. There's a risk that comes with these batteries that gets ignored due to the convenience they offer. I won't have one in a bike ( the weight savings is not noticable) and I can't fault you for not wanting one in your garage either. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
firstyammerha

I keep up with autos as well and a recent Car and Driver magazine said there is a big technology leap in these batteries coming in the next three to five years. This magazine is also doing more ev car tests month to month to the great consternation of its readership. Hyundai is building a big ev car plant on the coast of my home state of Georgia. GM was in the news recently converting one of their closed ICE car plants to battery production. Now if we can get the states on board with the wind turbines, solar panel farms and safe nuclear energy sources, we'd be good with the ev revolution. You've probably heard that GM and Chrysler are dropping their ICE lines of cars in the next couple of years...right?

• Global Moderator

The big battery leap has been coming in the next few years for a couple of decades now, I will believe it when I see it.  I will also believe that GM and Chrysler are no longer making ICE cars when I see that too.  I do not expect it will be in my lifetime but I could be wrong…

• Like 1