The MT-07 Forum

Engine dropping / sag?

Lamont

I swear my bikes engine has dropped somehow, there never used to be such a big gap between the engine and air filter and basically now there's a massive gap in the middle of my bike.  Does anyone know why this would be happening and what can be done to fix it? Also it feels as though there's some kind of wobble in the bike or something is loose somewhere when I ride it if that makes sense?

Or am I just cooking it and the bike is completely normal?

Excuse the filthiness of my bike I just got home from work and had to ride in the wet/ rain

20220824_155534.jpg

20220824_155504.jpg

• Like 1

M. Hausknecht

Much more likely that the airbox has shifted; the motor can't move as long as all the motor mounting bolts remain.

Ok awesome thank you,  also would the wobbly feeling to the bike be most likely misaligned rear wheel and/or bad chain tension? Or could the swing arm/ suspension be a possible issue? I'm a bit of a heavier rider too I weigh about 130 - 140kg should I upgrade my suspension or anything else to do with the bike to compensate for my weight to make the bike run smoother at all?

M. Hausknecht

You might be bottoming the rear spring/shock, which would make the bike act like a drunken sailor. The wheels essentially align themselves, so an out of whack rear tire shouldn't be the cause of your handling woes. You're well over the target weight range for the bike. You'd be much happier with new fork and shock springs, plus ways to get you more damping at both ends. Lots of good threads here about after-market suspension stuff.

Stand in front of the bike

grab the handlebars and pick it up off the side stand

Hold down the front brake lever and rock the bike back and forth.

If you hear and feel a clunking sound, my bike sounds the same.

Ps. Never drink alcohol. Its habit-forming and is just pure poison.

Edited by 00RAH

Just now, 00RAH said:

Hold down the front brake lever and rock the bike back and forth.

If you hear and feel a clunking sound, my bike sounds the same.

I did this when I got the bike, to check for head bearing play.  It clunked a little, so I started adjusting the play.  After a couple minutes I realized that the clunking I heard and felt was from the front brake calipers, as the pads were forced back and forth.  Now I feel for looseness of the head bearings with a finger, instead of listening for clunks.

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 2