The MT-07 Forum

Shoei Neotec Helmet

thestache

I wanted to give some feedback for those considering a modular helmet, or for those who wear glasses that need a helmet that fits well.

I wear glasses, I try and ride with my contacts in, but if they get messed up, then I have to put the glasses back on. So last year I discovered modular helmets. I started with a Bilt Modular, and it was okay, but man it was SO NOISY, I thought, all modular helmets probably are.

I picked up a Shoei Neotec from Cycle gear, now they aren't cheap, but the thing felt so light, fit so comfortable, had a groove built into the foam for glasses, and comes with a Pinlcock antifogging shield. But I only rode with it on today, all I can say is WOW. The Shoei is so light, the foam padding is very soft, warm and comfortable, they can fit a little tight but break in very easy. The venting system and tinted visor controls are very easy to operate and work very smooth. But, the biggest thing, the noise between the Bilt and the Shoei is like comparing my Dodge truck to a Ferrari.

Features:
Sunvisor:
Most modular helmets have a drop down sun visor, which is great if you wear glasses or contacts. The Shoei's is not to dark, but the ease of use is incredible. The control is on the left side of your helmet, and it feels very well made, slide it down and you instantly reduce glare.

Venting:
The Neotec has 2 front vents and a rear vent for circulation. The forward vents on the top look a lot like some vents I saw on NFL helmets today, and are very easy to use with just a click forward, or back. I have not had a real chance to test them, hey it's 45 degrees out on the warmest time of day....yeah I know it's like negative 300 in Canada :) :) :)
Lower chin vents are also very easy to use
The rear venting is on a slider and are simple to find and open or close while riding with a simple slide forward or back

Comfort/Design..etc.
This is where the Shoei sets itself apart. All of it's controls, for venting, shade, and opening thew modular are top notch. The Neotec is the most comfortable helmet I have ever worn and I have had helmets by Bell, Fulmer, and Bilt. it is also very light weight, hand crafted and painted. I have mentioned light weight a couple of times, and that is because a lot of modular helmets outweigh their full face counterparts by a significant amount. Also, the Shoei has no upward wind drag when turning your head right or left at speeds up to 60mph(sorry that's as fast as I went). In addition, the Shoei design does not allow additional wind to flow into the helmet, so it's great for cold weather.

Pros:
Light weight
Noise reduction
coomfort
ease of use
Pinlock

cons:
none

So if you are thinking of changing to a modular, then I would certainly give the Shoei Neotec a look, I do not think you will be disappointed.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

So if you are thinking of changing to a modular, then I would certainly give the Shoei Neotec a look, I do not think you will be disappointed.

Price and link to website?

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

Looks like they have it marked $50.00 off, not sure if other places have it cheaper as there is a Cycle Gear store about 30 miles from me 

http://www.cyclegear.com/SHOEI-Neotec-Solid-Modular-Motorcycle-Helmet

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
Looks like they have it marked $50.00 off, not sure if other places have it cheaper as there is a Cycle Gear store about 30 miles from me 

http://www.cyclegear.com/SHOEI-Neotec-Solid-Modular-Motorcycle-Helmet
Thanks for the links, a little too rich for my taste.  I had a chance to buy a $600.00 helmet for $300.00 on black friday online and passed it up.  Will probably kick myself for a while.  Was full carbon fiber.

Thanks for the links, a little too rich for my taste.  I had a chance to buy a $600.00 helmet for $300.00 on black friday online and passed it up.  Will probably kick myself for a while.  Was full carbon fiber.
Sounds like me with the Lazer Monaco Carbon helmet..

I still dont trust modulars.
If it wasn't for modulars I would likely not be able to ride. As I get older I find that contacts and I do not get along as well so I need to wear my glasses more. most helmets i found that aren't modular will not fit my glasses inside

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
Yea, I think that was it.  With the transition visor right?

Yea, I think that was it.  With the transition visor right?
Yup. That's the one. Should have gotten it when I had the chance.

• Global Moderator
I have the Transition visor on my Bell helmet and am spoiled. Once you ride with a transition, to hell with everything else.
My Transition visor arrives on Monday. It is going to be tough knowing it is sitting under the Christmas tree for the next ten days. 

I have one of these and they are absolutely superb, They have actually won awards and beaten full face helmets in the process. when closed you really wouldn't know its a modular but it has the benefit if you really need it.

Stunning helmet.

Regards

Ian

• Premium Member
I still dont trust modulars.
+1!

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Global Moderator

I have no problem with trusting modulars. I am sure a full face is safer, but sitting on a couch is also safer then riding a bike. And that doesn't stop me from riding.

I seriously considered the Neotec. I love the Japanese build quality and finish. But I ended up buying a (French) Shark Evoline 3ST because unlike most modulars you can ride it open faced. I used it for a couple of months and then bought a full face Shoei GT Air because it is way more comfortable then any modular helmet. Weight and noise were the deciding factors here. Now I use the Shark for my snowmobile.

The Neotec is supposed to be one of the quietest helmets around, and to be honest its easily as good as most full faces and better than lots, so comfortable and quiet its superb...

Certainly worth a look if buying i doubt you would be disappointed.

Regards

Archived