The MT-07 Forum

How much oil Wait!! before you get the pitch forks out.

Smitty

Ok this is not what you think. I have my MT and I stunt ride it In parking lots. And on the back roads here in South Korea. My problem are as Follows

besides myself I know of three other stunt riders  in this country that are ok. Meaning they can find balance point and do some footbrake work not your typical power wheelie yahoos which most of these clowns are. 

I have looked high and low for any information on the subject of oil Starvation if it is an issue or any parts I can add to correct said issue I can find nothing.

so let me get a Headstart here running away from you as you all get the pitchforks and the torches ready OK here it is

I overfill by 300-500cc  of oil just in case oil starvation is an issue and after recently having my oil pan off I looked up there and noticed That it is possible to make a divider plate to keep the oil or some of it in the pan closest to the pick up instead of it all going into the transmission when you are at 12 o’clock or 1 o’clock or sometimes 2 o’clock what are your thoughts and opinions. and or possible fixes. Is Oil starvation a actual issue I don’t know if it is because I could not find any bearing material when doing oil Changes. And due to the hard nature of me riding I change my oil once a month at the minimum and not with cheap shet. 

Here I will attach a picture of the inside of the pan looks like I am going to try to see if I can get a plate made what do you guys think

30753A45-BFD4-43E8-995E-C4782E9C9AC4.jpeg

AD0B205B-311D-4966-BA79-FEB2577D0DC6.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks for posting a pic of the oil sump removed Looks good. idk about a plate but i say trust your gut. Please Post more pics of your stunt bike. 

• Thanks 1

• Global Moderator

You build a dam, it's 2 edged sword. What keeps oil "in" also keeps some oil out.

2 cents

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

Just thinking, gravity can't hold a candle to the G's pulled under normal/racing forces on motor liquids. Acceleration, deceleration is where it would be happening (starvation) if it was a problem. It's counter-intuitive, bike orientation is constantly spinning diff direction when riding hard and "tight" track.

Five hundred cc is 1/2 quart. If I was going to do "something" it may be modifying oil filter/cooling base to allow in & out plumbing, then get 2 "cruiser" oil coolers, the ones that look like sticks of dynamite, about a foot long. Think they add about 1/2 quart each. You would prefer your new design fed to the oil pump, not dumping into the sump.

Those 2 dynamite sticks, because of shape, would get filled up on startup (they stay almost filled even with engine off, until you loosen the filter).

Just thinking out loud, I haven't used "dynamite sticks" for cooling a v-twin's oil since the '90's.

sweetscience

There's a company called "Twinstunts" who specialize in the CP2 class.  They should be able to help as well.

• Like 1

Thank you guys for the information. I will update your asap the bike is currently down for almost 2 months now waiting on parts. 
  Because the clutch blew up mid wheelie. But that is a post for another day. 

Cars used deeper baffled pans, deeper to keep the pick up in under acceleration and baffled to slow the flow fore-aft.   You might be able to locate the pick up to the rear of the oil pan so that it always has oil, maybe going deeper for higher volume available.  Not sure if any baffling would be of any value.    You gotta figure some drag race show vehicles had to deal with the same issue, the Little Red Wagon and Hurst Hemi Under Glass.   

• Thanks 1