The MT-07 Forum

Looped FZ 07 2016

TheCharms

Looped my new to me FZ 07 doing something stupid that I should not have been doing. Got some damage to the tail, rear set, and leaking coolant, front forks seem to be twisted as well. What parts are needed to repair this and is it worth it to repair out of pocket or use my insurance? I am new to this so any info would be great! The bike was dropped going slow like 10-20 miles an hour. 

2EB50EE8-06B8-4217-9F2E-CD1269F260CF_1_105_c.jpeg

E1895812-4FAF-4EB8-BFF5-8984EA5A153F_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 1

M. Hausknecht

Didn't you buy insurance, just in case?

In any event, how good are you with tools and fixing busted stuff? The busted stuff I see is easily repaired, and forks are easy to swap. What you don't know is whether the triple clamps are twisted, the axle bent, or worse, the frame. I mention the later because the frames on these bikes are wimpy, and bend fairly easily when subjected to loads not encountered in the ordinary course of riding.

• Thumbs Down 1

The deductible is $500 so I do not know if it will be worth it. That's only if the damage to the front fork is minimal. What are some ways to see what is wrong with my fork? 

The rearsets Woodcraft?  Those pieces are easily replaced for not a lot of money and the bent pieces are easily bent back.

However if you have fork damage combined with the rear damage will probably be over $500 unless you go bargain hunting.  What you need to ask yourself is whether or not it's worth taking the hit on the higher premium which is more then likely to happen if you file a claim.

Twisted forks can be a big deal or not.  It could as simple as a bent triple clamp that can easily be bent back to true, to bent tubes which if you know what you're doing is not a big deal to fix, to a bent frame which could be repairable or complete junk at this point.

Your best option is to find someone that knows what they are looking at.  You can push on the front to see if the forks move down and up freely but you do need to get it through most of its stroke.

• Like 1

Just now, union said:

The rearsets Woodcraft?  Those pieces are easily replaced for not a lot of money and the bent pieces are easily bent back.

However if you have fork damage combined with the rear damage will probably be over $500 unless you go bargain hunting.  What you need to ask yourself is whether or not it's worth taking the hit on the higher premium which is more then likely to happen if you file a claim.

Twisted forks can be a big deal or not.  It could as simple as a bent triple clamp that can easily be bent back to true, to bent tubes which if you know what you're doing is not a big deal to fix, to a bent frame which could be repairable or complete junk at this point.

Your best option is to find someone that knows what they are looking at.  You can push on the front to see if the forks move down and up freely but you do need to get it through most of its stroke.

I did just do a quick test to see if the frame is bent. Tied some strings around both wheels to see if the frame got cockeyed. Did not find anything noticeable both tires are in line with each other. The stanchions or triple clamps are where there is some damage. When looking from the side profile the left stanchion seems in line. While the right looks to be bent in towards the bike. I won't know for sure until I take off the front wheel.

Just now, TheCharms said:

Looped my new to me FZ 07 doing something stupid that I should not have been doing.

Sorry to hear about your wreck. Just curious, was it something similar to this video? I quit playing around with wheelies after seeing this. I know how easy it is to loft the front wheel on a FZ/MT-07, and f#ck up badly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuuK3ac0DYs

On 8/8/2022 at 5:39 AM, FZ not MT said:

Sorry to hear about your wreck. Just curious, was it something similar to this video? I quit playing around with wheelies after seeing this. I know how easy it is to loft the front wheel on a FZ/MT-07, and f#ck up badly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuuK3ac0DYs

It was similar to that just at a slower speed I was just in a loading dock area and just tried to power wheelie in a second and the front end came up quick. My mind went blank and took my foot off the rear break. Tried to hop off the back of the bike and land on my feet. I was able to land one foot down and one of my shins dragged getting a slight road rash. Nothing serious. The bike just took a hard slam and skid. All in all I'm alright and the bike is repairable for not that much money. It was a good learning lesson that I think I needed to go through.

On 8/8/2022 at 6:14 AM, 00RAH said:

Have a look at this,

https://fz07.org/thread/13594/2-clicks-out-post-crash-diagnosis/

https://fz07.org/thread/13333/read-me-making-your-bike-go-straight/

Im not a fan of insurance, alll the fine print makes my eyes water

My buddy was telling me to do something along the lines of that video just with the front suspension. He told me to just loosen the triple clamps and axle bolts then work the suspension through its travel and hopefully it'll straighten out. He rides dirt bikes and said it happens every time he crashes. Haven't tried it yet but hopefully, it works. If not I'll try what that guy did in the video. 

• Like 2

Glad you ok and for the most part ... you got an easy lessons learned :)  

2022 Yamaha MT-07 Cyan Storm, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 [VN2000A], 1997 Yamaha YZF600R - Thundercat [project]