The MT-07 Forum

TOCE Razor Tip exhaust ordered!

Terry_b

• Premium Member

Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on exhaust finally. I know there are tons of threads and videos, and I have looked at 90% of them, but does anyone have any helpful tips and tricks? 

I've never been quite happy with the exhaust sound and the other day while riding I ended up with a random Harley rider as an unknowing riding on a couple different roads. While I was watching the GoPro video I realized that the Harley totally drowned out my own bike.

When I first saw the TOCE Razor Tip exhaust on the FZ07 I absolutely loved it. For a while when I first got the bike it was tough to find, but I was happy that it seems like they're making them on the regular now.

I was also happy to see that they're US based, and even offer a veteran discount. Customer service was also top notch! I asked a question about the tune and had a reply within an hour.

I have the exhaust and an MWR filter on the way. I think there's like a 10 day lead on the build time, but that'll give me time to get a new tune from 2WDW. I guess TOCE doesn't use FTECU, so I can't just get a file from them to flash the bike myself. 

What should I do with the old exhaust?

system.jpg

Use a tiny bit of something sticky to get your gaskets to stay in. It’s a pain in the ass to get the headers on with the gaskets constantly wanting to fall out. At least it was for me.

Just now, Terry_b said:

While I was watching the GoPro video I realized that the Harley totally drowned out my own bike.

This is a bad thing?

• Premium Member
Just now, Triple Jim said:

This is a bad thing?

For me it was... They were both nice bikes, and not terrible riders... but I was sad that I couldn't hear my own bike :) . They weren't even that loud, mine just sounded so boring in comparison.

I also have a little bit of a chip on my shoulder about a few harley riders that ride past my house a lot. Depending on the direction they're coming from, they're either downshifting to turn or flying past as fast as they can accelerate. Ordinarily, I'm a fan of all things with engines and I would smile, I love it when muscle cars drive by. However, these harley riders do several things that really get under my skin:

1) They have obnoxiously loud pipes - like rattle my window panes loud, totally drown out the TV, and both the dog and baby are visibly bothered. It actually hurts if I'm out in the garage.

2) They also have their silly radio totally cranked - probably because they can't hear it over their pipes and are steadily going deaf as a result of both.

3) They manage to have a cigar going - I don't know how they haven't set something on fire, I've even seen one of them filling up at the gas station with it hanging out of his mouth.

4) They wear those itty bitty brain buckets for helmets and no other gear at all - now, I really don't care what people do. I'm a live and let live kind of person, and I think people should have freedom of choice in all things, so long as that choice does not hurt others. BUT, we always hear about how scary and unsafe bikes are, and the statistics don't take into account things like safety equipment and riding experience. The guy who only rides on sunny sunday afternoons and wears the bare minimum protective gear vs. the guy who commutes to work daily in full ATGATT belong in different categories. 

Thanks for coming to my TED talk!

Just now, Terry_b said:

For me it was... They were both nice bikes, and not terrible riders... but I was sad that I couldn't hear my own bike :) . They weren't even that loud, mine just sounded so boring in comparison.

For me, the impression of a boring motorcycle = lower chance of it being stolen.  And I really like the way the only thing I hear when I'm riding over about 50 mph is wind.  But to each his own!

M. Hausknecht
Just now, Terry_b said:

I also have a little bit of a chip on my shoulder about a few harley riders that ride past my house a lot. Depending on the direction they're coming from, they're either downshifting to turn or flying past as fast as they can accelerate. Ordinarily, I'm a fan of all things with engines and I would smile, I love it when muscle cars drive by. However, these harley riders do several things that really get under my skin:

1) They have obnoxiously loud pipes - like rattle my window panes loud, totally drown out the TV, and both the dog and baby are visibly bothered. It actually hurts if I'm out in the garage.

2) They also have their silly radio totally cranked - probably because they can't hear it over their pipes and are steadily going deaf as a result of both.

3) They manage to have a cigar going - I don't know how they haven't set something on fire, I've even seen one of them filling up at the gas station with it hanging out of his mouth.

4) They wear those itty bitty brain buckets for helmets and no other gear at all - now, I really don't care what people do. I'm a live and let live kind of person, and I think people should have freedom of choice in all things, so long as that choice does not hurt others. BUT, we always hear about how scary and unsafe bikes are, and the statistics don't take into account things like safety equipment and riding experience. The guy who only rides on sunny sunday afternoons and wears the bare minimum protective gear vs. the guy who commutes to work daily in full ATGATT belong in different categories. 

As my dear wife would say (and has !), "nice bike; too bad about your dick."

Just now, Terry_b said:

I hear ya brother!

I fall closer in to @Triple Jim to clarify...

I grew up with Hero's such as Don 'the snake',  John Force (in the beginning), Shirley 'Cha Cha' Muldowney, etc when it comes to Motors (Mom was a huge drag racing fan) and smelling burnt rubber.
Additionally, love a nice sounding real engine ...

BUT ... that being said, I too really really dislike in a neighborhoods having a loud @$$ Harley. Have someone near by that from time to time comes down the street revving the engine and down shifting obnoxiously (residential streets speed limits are 15 <> 25 mph) causing the popping. Sends my dog running and hiding every time.

In closing, like you, Live and Let Live. You wear the Gear you want, I will be ATGATT. I ride for my pleasure. I am totally 100% fine if no one notices my existence.  I know what I know and the more I learn the more I don't know. And one thing I really know, we really don't like Loud Anything.

Now that being said, the area I am in has large amounts of Jet Noise. I knew the area would have it before I moved in. I will never complain about the sound of my freedom. But the guys with the hondas and fart cans, the harley's with drag pipes and revving the engine.. <Grumble> enuf said

2022 Yamaha MT-07 Cyan Storm, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 [VN2000A], 1997 Yamaha YZF600R - Thundercat [project]